Dear Mr Ostermann. I am not going to have spats in public with you since it is against the rules here and rightly so. You misinterpreted what I wrote. I was writing solely for myself as regards myself and dealers. I did not generalize about you in particular, or else I would have written such clearly. If I were to do so, I should write to you in private, which I may yet well do. I did ask you politely whether you think the cap is remade. I am not sure whether you answered my question.

I have collected German head gear for forty years, give or take nine months. I am not sure what this fact means. I actually think in these contexts it means much less.

I also do not want to have a stupid public spat about dealers, since it is a trap, be it Weitze or Shea or the man in the moon. Far too much on these fora is lost to inane, circular fights about dealers which are proxy fights for the seven deadly sins. I do think that one's reputation in all of this is always on the line, and I find it odd that many figures (...and Mr. Ostemann, I am not generalizing about you...) spend more time sniping than they do either asking legitimate questions of adding material of value.

I have never seen this cap, other than on Shea's website, but like Ryan Sellick the cap seems that it might be rea--maybe not. The interior material is typical of NSDAP caps, and if the runes are real, that is very obvious. The fake runes are seriously off in their appearance. Please do not misinterpret what I am writing. The point of these fora is to enable people to make their own decisions. Without putting too fine a point on it, I also receive an average of at least three or more inquiries a day from people whom I have never met from all over the world to give an expertise on things, which, in many cases I never get even a single word of thanks. There are exceptions, but there is also a tendency here to reduce decades of hard won knowledge to a very modest commodity, which I think is excerable. This internet exchange breeds bad behavior in a kind of aggressive-ness, especially from neophytes, which would never happen across a table or vis-a-vis.

In any case, I shall close with this, and Mr. Ostemann, if you wish to take exception to something I have done here or elsewhere, then you have my email and you can write to me or call me on the phone. I'll even reverse the charges.