quote:
Originally posted by Johann:
Yes, thanks Donald for taking the time to post these visors. I like the early ones with the pinched crest, but I LOVE the saddle-like shape of that last officer cap. High crown, and drooped sides. Perfect shape...Each has it's own character, same as the tunics.

What makes the one visor from an SS medical personell?

The 1st cap I posted and 2nd to the last are named to Professor Dr.'s inside. Medical doctors were very over represented in the SS as a whole and for members of the social elites in Germany of 1933/34 membership in the SS was much preferred over the plebeian SA, the Crown Prince notwithstanding. As to the shape of the caps, they are what they are, and I like them all, of course. There are lots of officer's caps with the Tellermuetze shape, and the early caps without the rigid structure have a certain pleasing aspect too, so long as they are one thing......authentic. The saddle shape was borrowed from the cavalry of the old armies (i.e. prior to 1918...), and the crown prince's cap of this kind in the period 1914-1918 speaks to this fashion.