ORPO

Posted 01 January 2004 17:17
Gary, I think the medical branch uniforms of the police are very rarely encountered as there were obviously very few police medical personnel. Most photos I have seen show docs in white lab coats, although stretcher bearers are uniformed wearing the red cross armband. There is one photo of a Polizei Division doc in uniform in Angolia's book on SS insigina I believe, but you cannot tell the color of the boards, tabs, or piping of course. Same thing applies to the Veterinär branch with black Kragenspiegel.

Dave, I think the Mantel is interesting both because it is from the medical branch and because it is a lightweight greatcoat. In my experience, the lightweight greatcoats are few and far between. It seems the medical collar tabs and shoulder boards were perhaps, at different times, both green and blue backed according to published regulations. I think the tunic piping was always green, but I would certainly love to find a blue piped one that is not related to the Kommunalpolizei. It is also interesting that the brown collar of this coat is made without any piping. That certainly elimates the question of piping color. I think the regulations were pretty vague and perhaps not fully understood by the doctors and tailors as well. I will let Joe or Ernst comment on regs.

George

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson