Sorry Fred--but I can't supply a photo of the 60's repro/parts leader hewer by Krebs that came out in the 60's with the same TM as the Fat Man. I have seen several but not of late. Many of these were "converted" and now are gone since most/all of the parts were original except the blade and there were many left over original blades that were located a bit later and offered for sale ( and some may still be available ).
Most serious collectors who were collecting daggers in the 60's are aware of these thin bladed parts pieces though and even you make mention of it in your R/R book, volume 2, page 94.
I am not certain what the Fat Man really is although there is no doubt a lot of them are poorly made with no scabbard and in all probability are fake/parts.
The others ones though, with scabbard and well made, such as the one Ron has, is IMO a good looking, interesting and attractive piece and if I found a minty one at a good price there is no doubt I would keep it , whatever it is, as this type is quite rare.
But, IMO-it will always remain questionable, as it has for all these years, unless further information is located. Reference this subject -opinions IMO are not worth that much-everyone has one. As this time I would say the correct answer is that -sorry--we just don't know.
I'll add another tidbit--Many years ago when I visited the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, Ga. I was shocked to see one of the quality Fat Man hewers on display listed as donated by a vet. This of course is further information leading one to believe the quality ones are period--but no real proof. I would need to see a period, non RAD piece with that same TM to convince me--and I'm sure many others feel the same.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.