After seeing all this I have come to a conclustion what I believe "may" have happened to these mysterious "Fat Man" hewers.
As Fred mentioned, that they indeed were a war-time production item for a pattern that was for some reason not released from the factory but for perhaps a very few examples. We have the statement from Herr Krebs given to Angolia that they were period produced.
Also the fact that Ron has seen a whole box of Krebs produced mint edged weapons taken out of the factory by the veteran.
I don't believe the "fat Man" would qualify as a "Field Day" GI piece.
To me- not seeing that trademark on another 3rd reich edged weapon is not a "first". Many collectrors used to think that the Early simple single oval Eickhorn logo was not "period". And some believe it's not "correct" today. Although it has been proven by many examples out of the "woodwork".
Also why make a special stamping die of an unknown style of logo for an unknown (variation) blade style?
I venture to say that Jim Atwood found a stash of these in the factory and he released these along with everything else. And because of Atwood's reputation for Parts/repro pieces this hewer was perhaps "the baby thrown out with the bath water", and it is indeed a period produced item. Razz

And finally Ron, what happened to the photos of your Hewer that were on the old link just yesterday? Did you remove them?
...OR is that the actions of that voracious BIG GDC termite that the GDC owner/s can't seem to catch and do away with for 3 years now? Confused Eek Frown

Regards,
-serge-