On reading and re-reading all the input on this topic, I came to the definate conclusion that I am not the only person who has trouble spelling HERR Krebs.

I also like the suggestion by Dippy to have a poll, if for no other reason, just to see where we stand at this point.

If so, for reasons based on the quality and how I acquired my dagger, plus the statement by Herr Krebs, I vote that the "fat man" be considered a viable and authentic variation, just as the full stag grip hewer is. I would say that also covers the (identical) daggers owned by Ron Weinand and Mr. Stephans, and leads me to my next thought, as I admit to sometimes running in tunnel vision mode.

It never occurred to me that there might be variations on the fat man theme as brought out in this discussion. That leads me to open another can of worms. We do not brand, say, all army or navy daggers as fakes because there are:

1) many variations.
2) many variations in details and makers marks within a single manufacturer. (for example, WKC naval daggers).
3) authentic period daggers, parts daggers, post war factory daggers and outright fakes, all are somewhat similar and dis-similar, each with certain qualifying attributes.

Therefore, perhaps, instead of evaluating the fat man as a group, we shold start evaluating each piece on individual merit and accepted detail, as we do, for example, WKC navies. Dan