The story of the Krebs "Fat Man" hewer being a post-war fantasy circulated because Lt.C. James P. Atwood turned up vast quantities of them which he released on to the market - and it was assumed at that time (late 1960s) that Atwood had been having them produced.

Initially I believed this story, having no other evidence to go upon other than the photos that were being circulated. However, having obtained one specimen, and examining it thoroughly, I have come to the conclusion:
a) That the item is authentic, and constructed to rigid working tolerances.
b)In my opinion the item is an early period production, having an iron hilt (later period pieces tended to have alloy hilts).

Wotan, you stated:
quote:
Due to several certain features of this certain hewer, including the spurious trademark which never did appear on any doubtless IIIR edged weapon by KREBS, I (and I think several other members here) still tend to believe it is a postware phantasy piece.

I must correct you on this point. The version of the Krebs trademark is one that was in use during the earlier years of the Third Reich. Carter records this version of the mark (as well as five other variations) in his "The Sword and Knife Makers of Germany, 1850-2000".

Another feature of the mark is that it is stamped into the blade, and not etched. This is consistent with blade proofing.

The reason why Krebs should produce this version of the hewer is not known, although I speculate that it was possibly an original production run which was either rejected, or the blade specification changed, by the RAD authority.

I compiled a comprehensive feature about this RAD hewer for the "Armourer" magazine five or six years ago. If anyone has access to the article, I have no objections to it being posted up here on the site for further comment.

FJS