Hello,

I am new to this forum, so please excuse any errors on my part...

I am not an expert, hardly even a novice, to Japanese sword collecting.. but I would like to learn more about them.

I have just aquired my second sword and would like some help in identifying its vintage ... also some help in regards to whether I have correctly identified it.

The sword is a Shinogi Zukuri that was probably used by a World War II Army Officer based upon the type of Saya (i.e. looks like a typical WWII Army saya).

The Nakago is signed ... I was told that the signature reads Yamamoto-Kumi. There is what appears to be an upside-down tilde (or wave) underneath the Mei, but I have no idea what that signifies. (Does anyone have an opinion on that?) Can anyone please inform me if they have heard of a swordsmith named Yamamoto Kumi and, if so, was he from the World War II era?

The other side of the Nakago has only the number 16 stamped near the top end of the tang. is this an arsenal mark?

The blade appears to be hand forged, but I can't tell if it was traditionally made or not. I am venturing the following opinions on the characteristics of the blade ... but I don't know if I am right or wrong since all I have in reference are diagrams from a web site that used info from Peter McCollum... anyway ... here goes:
Sword Blade: Shinogi-Zukuri
Kissaki: O
Mune: Ihori
Boshi: Komaru
Hada: Mokume
Hamon: Sudare (?) {This was very difficult to determine and is my best guess}
Hataraki: I just don't know ... lack of experience of my part... and maybe the blade needs polishing, but I can't afford the cost of having it professionally polished as I understand it costs thousands of dollars.

In addition to the sword blade, I believe this sword has the following tang characteristics:
Nakago shape: Furisode (best guess, as I also thought it might be Futsu or Shiribari)
Nakago-Jiri: Iriyamagata
Yasurime: Katte-Agari

Any and all opinions and information to help determine the vinatge of the sword blade, and maybe even if it was traditionally made, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!