Because one of my early passions was the study of heraldry and symbolism, I'd like to offer a couple thoughts that might help...

Re: the shooting cutlass- St.H.S.V. probably stands for St. Hubertus(patron saint of hunting) Schutzen Verein. I think this possibility is reinforced by the crest with the antlers and cross symbolic of St. Hubert. Also the shield does not appear to be of a subject composition that would be expected of a family crest... which is normally a combination of diverse symbols often indicating the amalgamation of the individual crests of marriage partnership(s). In this case, ALL devices of the shield appear to be of a single theme...hunting/shooting ( bundle of arrows,a stag, powderhorn over crossed matchlocks). Therefore, I would assume the crest to be for the shooting association.. not a town or a family.

Re: the piece without quillons... this device has the proper configuration for a family crest, or for a duchy, as the crown is ducal ( ie: indicating a duke). Your best bet for research purposes is to break the crest into its component devices and look for the families that probably combined to eventually create the shield as it appears. That might lead you closer to finding an ultimate surname. Unfortunately, that effort will be long and tedious and, probably, VERY non-productive. I personally would leave that kind of research for a long, cold, winter evening when I had absolutely NOTHING else to do. You will find armoral records (ex:Reitstrap) either too simplified, too exhausting or too "English" ( this isn't a slam...the English were very thorough in exercising relatively tight control on the award, registration and documentation of their heraldic arms. Comprehensive research information tapers off for Spain, Italy, France and Germany... and, then, worsens for the Nordic and Slavic countries).

On the other hand, if you really feel lucky... Roll Eyes

The symbol on the reverse side of the blade ( 3 maltese crosses in a pyramid configuration) are
probably a maker's mark. Identifying this is a LOT more achieveable goal. I would try sending a letter to Skipper Greenwade, author of "Me Fecit Solingen", and ask if he has any knowledge re: this mark. There is also the possibility that these are "magic" or religious symbols, BUT, due to their style and repetition, I would find that doubtful.

Good luck if you decide to pursue the research.

Neat blades.

Roger