John, I�ve got to roll out of here in a few minutes so I��m going to try and be brief. Somebody can correct me if I�m wrong, but the one that Tom Johnson just sold was steel mounted not brass. And I don�t ever recall seeing a steel mounted machete with other than the late Coppel marking.

What some of what Joe Wotka said was: �The German site notes these blades were 1930s production that never went to South and Central American, but were "appropriated" for official German usage.� That seems to imply to me more than just a few examples. And given the size of Luftwaffe forces in the East. And the extremely low survival rate of Russian front items in general. My �warehouse� comment was my effort to show that for as many to have survived both here and in Europe. And in the excellent condition that many of them seem to be in. That there had to be quite a few that were manufactured.

I would agree that the Germans did on occasion expropriate war material. Like some of the 1941 contract Portuguese rifles, but that arguably was the direct result of horrendous losses of arms and men in Russia (interestingly some are specifically marked to the Luftwaffe). I also don�t want to get into a big discussion of either Atwood or some of the postwar assemblies of parts. But I personally don�t put them into the same category as legitimate leftover stock - even if original parts were used. (Mentioning that possibility because that is one of the things that I was told.)

And in my humble opinion, it might be a misperception to assume that what you see now is all there is to be found. Talk to any of the old-timers. And they will tell you what used to very common - is no longer the case. And it�s been that way for some years now. Which I also know first hand from my own experience collecting. With even many of the decent condition more common items becoming hard to find.

PS to Mikee: Kind of a �un muchacho con un machete" but with a German accent? That works for me Wink. Regards to All, FP