Tristan,

Any one of K�rner's Allach bear-cub series is simply a delight to study, appreciate and hold in one's hand. It seems that any of the four given examples perfectly captures the spirit of these young imps. You can really feel what these youngsters are all about - inquisitive bundles of energy, ready to turn any opportunity into playtime!

This essence or life-force that K�rner captures in his figures is key to their appeal. Your pair will make for a great addition to your collection and I'm sure you're already scouting for the rest of the series. Great score. One of the best porcelain bears I've ever had the pleasure to see was the Professor's early Nymphenburg sculpture of an adult grizzly bear, just padding along ...

Two other examples in the "bantam-weight class" is this young Esel or donkey and a fawn by Willi M�nch-khe, the gifted artist who sculpted the fine rendering of Till Eulenspiegel, just above. A little background about the artist - Willi Eduard Heinrich M�nch-khe, German painter, graphic artist, engraver, sculptor and author, 1885-1961. Between the years 1903 and 1907 he studied glass painting at the Acadamy in Karlsruhe. From 1910 until 1911 he was employed at the Majolica porcelain factory in Karlsruhe as a painter/decorator. Then in 1912 he was hired as a painter with the firm of Meissen. In 1913 he also became an accepted porcelain modeler for the company. Between 1925 and 1932 and again from 1954 until 1956, he worked as a freelance sculptor of small animal figures. Many of his animal works were manufactured in B�ttger-Steinzeug, which looks like reddish-brown stone. Many of the animals are newborns or very young, one of his specialties. His series of calves, fawns, donkeys, etc., are easily recognized by their spindly and unstable legs. But no worries mates, the finished examples are anything but unstable. Herr M�nch-khe had an uncanny knack finding the perfect balance for his subjects, even though they give the impression of being unsteady. He also studied under and was very friendly with another top-notch and supremely talented sculptor, August Gaul.

I trust you might enjoy these two pieces ... Smile

Bill

donkeysm.jpg (36.16 KB, 171 downloads)