ORPO

Posted 14 November 2003 17:18
Ernst,

You are correct that the Verwaltungspolizei Polizei-Assistent is a Verwaltungsbeamte in the Hauptwachtmeister range. That is, this NCO is at the bottom of the ladder on the middle pay range group (Pol Assistent, Pol Sekretär, & Pol Obersekretär) and holds a lifetime appointment as an official (Beamte). These particular shoulder boards appear to be unissued and have never had any pips applied to them. I don't know if they were worn like this or if they simply have not had the appropriate rank pips put on them because they are unissued.

That does bring up the question of whether the lower pay range group Einfacher Polizeiverwaltungsdienst folks wore these shoulder boards and if not, what did they wear? The SHAEF book on the German Police indicates the lower pay range group consists of 9 pay grades and some of those (i.e. jailers) were obviously uniformed. It also states in para 151, "As a result of wartime manpower shortage many of the requirements for candidates for this branch have, however, been relaxed as has previously been pointed out in connection with the Regular Uniformed Police. Preference is given to Schupo members with 8 years' service for whom 80 per cent. of all openings are reserved. Training is given on the job and candidates hold the rank of Amtsgehilfe auf Probe (Office Help on trial) during a probationary period. After six months the "auf probe" is dropped and in the case of Schupo members appointment for life is given after two years."

I suspect these folks could wear Verwaltungspolizei uniforms with boards indicating their 8 years service and current pay grade. They certainly would not wear the Hauptwachtmeister shoulder boards because they were not yet in the pay grade of Polizei-Assistent.

George

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson