Baden-W�rttemberg

After World War II Allied forces established three states: W�rttemberg-Baden (occupied by the US), W�rttemberg-Hohenzollern (France) and Baden (France). In 1949 these three states became parts of the Federal Republic of Germany. These states officially merged on 25 April 1952 into Baden-W�rttemberg. In 1953, the various �Wasserschutz Polizei� patrols were also merged.

Prior to the merger I know of five different insignia used by the polizei in these areas (Photo 1). This photo shows four of these patches (3 Arm Patches & 1 Hat Patch). The fourth is a green version of the Baden patch. Obviously they are extremely difficult to find.

In addition to a state police �Landespolizei� in the US sector, there were additional municipal departments �Stadtpolizei� (Photo 2). My research has determined that there were approximately 62 of these city police departments with their own individual patches, breast badges and hat badges. This was all part of the �decentralized� policing preferred by the US Military Government. Eventually these local departments would be merged into the state police beginning with the ones employing the fewest officers.

Two separate and distinct uniforms were worn during this time by the state police (Green) and City Police (Blue). Each featured their own distinct pie shaped collar rank (Photo 3 & 3a). As each municipality was merged into the state police, the uniform was changed over. The last merger of a municipal department took place in the early 70�s.

Additionally, the state police also had an water police section which wore the same patch as the state police, except with a navy blue background. This remained in effect till the mid 1970�s when West Germany instituted a nationwide reorganization of all police departments.

In the mid 70�s a change was instituted that created one uniform look for every police agency within West Germany. Gone were the varying shades of blue and green. What resulted was a standardized uniform featuring hat badge, patch, and rank (Photo 4 a & b). Each state would have one uniform for normal patrol officers (Green) and one for water patrol (Blue) which closely resembles a naval uniform.

Obviously there are always going to be �rule breakers� in the bunch. I will try to identify them as they occur in each state. For Baden-W�rttemberg it was the shape of the rank and placement of the four stars in the PHM, E/PHK and Ltd. Pol. Dir. Ranks.

From the late 80�s to present there has been a growth of what is refereed to as �special unit� insignia. While some are officially worn, other remain novelty products of the units or organizations. I have depicted a few of these (Photo 5).

Around 2000, another change occurred in the vehicles. They went from the Green & White scheme to a Green & Silver.

In 2005 another uniform reorganization took place. All uniforms are being transitioned over to a navy blue design. In addition to the change in the standard uniform, the police have also adopted a more casual uniform. This has caused a change in all patches, rank insignia as well as vehicles. At the present time (June 2007) Baden-W�rttemberg is still in the transition phase.

I will step up to the plate and say I am not fond of the new uniforms. While I always appreciate new insignia to track down, the uniforms look more like the product of a 5th Avenue Designer, then something that is practical for patrol. Time will tell.

Andrew

PS: Before someone asks, no these are not all in my collection....... I wish !!! Some are, while others are from reference sources I have compiled over the years.

Interested in all 3rd Reich & Post WWII Polizei Insignia