2003 I purchased from Craig an Eickhorn 2nd Luft in mint unissued condition. The piece had formerly belonged to a forum member who picked it up at the 2002 Max (I think Jim Modena had it at one time?) It had been housed in a naval presentation case and was exhibited on this forum. Craig split the dagger from the case and I got the dagger, some of you may remember the piece as it is a beauty, probably non better.
When I got it I noticed a lack of crossgrain on the mirror bright blade and also that look that you get only on a plated blade. Conscious at the time that the majority of Luft blades were polished I consulted TW's book and found that on page 186 he mentions that early Eick blades can be found plated. However the condtion of this piece is such that it didn't agree with it being early. Closer examination showed me that the pommel was of the very first style that Eickhorn had used, Not the heart shape and not the generic. I looked at it and wondered if it could be an original but parts dagger, but the finishes all agreed with it being of the 'two tone variety as shown on page 203 of Tom's book. The xguard is of a matt alumnium finish which exactly matches the central band and top of the pommel whilst the daker portions of the pommel exactly match the ferule and scabbard, piece exhibit's 100% laquer throughout and 100% gold on the swaz's.
As it has the early blade and pommel I can only conclude it was left on the shelf as later variations came into production,. I certainly don't have any problems with it, came from Craig, nuff said , but just I posted this to highlight once again that there are no hard and fast rules with GD's.

Adrian

The older I get the better I was!