Fellow Collectors,

I do not generally collect anything but Imperial German bayos. However, I recently stumbled across a 3rd Reich bayo I would have been foolish not to grab. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any concrete information on the veteran who brought it back, but it is a complete PSS Bayo with frog and Police Officer's bayonet knot. The crossguard is marked S.H.72, which, as noted earlier in this topic (why I decided to post here instead of starting a new one), most likely denotes the Schutzpolizei Hannover. The black leather frog is maker marked VD HORST, LEIDEN 1941, using copper/brass rivets, which I thought was interesting given the date. The original 98/05 maker was Waffenfabrik Mauser, dated W16. Original and correct scabbard retains 99% of its original heavy bluing. I'm not sure this is significant (and from what little I know about the manufacture of 3rd Reich era knots, I don't think it is), but this knot's acorn is made from grey thread wrapped around a lighter colored thread as opposed to bullion. The black strap is cloth as well, which I know is common. Of course, the era of manufacture of the knot, or frog for that matter, may have no bearing or relation to the era of manufacture of the bayonet.

As I said, I don't collect 3rd Reich, so I will be parting with this shortly, hopefully for an equally impressive Imperial German bayo, but I wanted to post the find here, particuarly because of the SchutzPo Hannover marking, and because it seems fairly likely that the frog and knot are original to the bayo, and I thought it might help shed more light on the origins of this bayo. I know there still exists some confusion with regards to the origin or purpose of this particular police bayo. I know it has been somewhat quixotically suggested that the PSS was somehow related to the SS, to the point where recorded examples have been shown with SS knots in certain books. On page 344 of Jim Maddox's book "Collecting Bayonets," he states "It is believed by some collectors that these rare bayonets were produced after 1936 for use by policemen who held dual ranks in the Polizei and the SS." Regardless of its purpose, it's a VERY COOL bayonet, and quite rare as well.

Has anyone made an attempt to compile a list of the known unit markings found on these bayos? Elsewhere on this site there is mention of another S.H.69. marking, a P.Sch.25. marking, and an S.Tr. marking (there is also an S.Tr.88. marking found in Maddox's book).

Given the existence of another S.H. marked PSS bayo, I highly doubt these were markings remaining from the bayonet's former life as a police issued 98/05. Regardless, I find it very difficult to believe that so much care and work could go into modifying one of these bayos, only to then leave the previous unit marking on there, which would be the easiest thing to modify! Although, it's certainly a possibility that shouldn't be ignored.

I will attach pics either later tonight or tomorrow.

Here's to those who make what we collect worth collecting.

Bravo Troop, 1/7 CAV, 5th BCT, 1CD
OIF II, Al-Rashid, Baghdad, Iraq
GARRYOWEN!