I'm not totally sure of either answer.

The eagle:

is not made of the same dull material as the others. It is a shiny white metal, the whole badge (including the eagle) is non magnetic. The size if the eagle is exactly the same as the other manufacturers including depth, whereas the badge itself is thicker.

Attachment:

My initial thoughts were that it was glued/soldered in some way. However I'm not even sure about that now. The eagle is solidly attached, no play or movement to it. A fraction of a gap is visible between one wing & the badge on one side. But even with a high power loupe nothing can be seen inside.

However, if you look closely at the pin plate on the back, there are two small protruberances either side of the pin. Now these could be blobs of unmelted solder under the plate, or could they possibly be rivits?

There are two sets of guides either side of the pin at the end of the plate, but these are short & do not continue under the plate. If you hold the badge up to the light & look down the length of the pin, you can just see under the plate between the pin & back of the badge. It can be seen that the guides do not go any further, & that there are no other obsticles there. Unfortunately, you can not see what the two protruberances are either.

I dusted off the camera as the scanner sometimes distorts colour because of the bright light. I have also tried to show one of the protruberances & the guides.

First the eagle. Shiny white metal.

Cheers
Don

1.jpg (46.69 KB, 206 downloads)

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.