I carefully pried the links apart that theld the cloverleaf, and top scabbard fittings to the chains. Once seperated I was able to use an acid de greaser to completely remove any grease and dirt from all of these fittings. It also removed any remaining burnishing as well without damaging any of the metal fittings. I repeatedly adjusted the fit of the centre ramp with needle files then 600 and 1200 wet and dry on the painted scabbard to ensure it would be an excellent fit after it had been re plated. I removed the spring from the cloverleaf and sanded it with 1200 wet and dry after its acid bath to ensure the new plating bonded as well as possible to it. If you look at the bottom of the cloverleaf you can see where it has been ground out of shape during original construction. After some thought on the matter I decided to leave this as it was rather than repair it as it was one of the original characteristics of this piece I was trying to retain. I then found somewhere that could re plate the steel cloverleaf and solid brass centre ramp in a durable Nickle Silver finnish. After the links had been polished by hand after their acid bath I was able to start replacing the original burnishing. I did this using a black metal paint applied with an extremely tiny brish under a large magnifying glass. It took several hours to apply and the technique here to ge the desired worn original finnish is to remove it just before it is completely dry. I used a cutting compound mixed with a metal polish and a lot of elbow grease to get the desired aged and worn effect.

tn_ss_dag_restoration_001.JPG (78.17 KB, 669 downloads)