Richard,

It appears from responses that others believe that this is an interesting and informative thread. I do not believe that my comments have been off point.

You failed to address my questions relative to the two points you had previously made in the 'Do You Own a SS Combat Bayo?'discussion. The first point is, if in fact "The same proofmarks are used on both rifles and bayonets" then specific knowledge of SS markings on rifles equates to knowledge of SS markings on bayos. Correct? The second point is, "To date the only person that I know that has been able to decipher the marks to some extent is Scott Buggin, a vetran collector and a vast source of knowledge on SS Rifles." You are speaking of me correct? These points are rather central to you argument. Has your position changed and if so why?

Reference offering you a chapter on SS bayos. Anyone who knows me or has followed any discussions I have had in on-line forums or BCN over the years will tell you that I have always been suspicious of SS bayos. There is no evidence to the contrary. Having said this, I would never offer you or anyone else to do a chapter on SS bayos in my book on SS rifles. Unless I am sold on their legitimacy I would never risk degrading my reference and name.

The fact that pictures exist showing the SS carrying G/K98s and various bayos is not proof that the weapon/s in the picture were marked. Legitimate SS marked G/K98s do exist and this is not in question. However, the existance of SS marked G/K98 is not evidence that SS marked bayos do exist. There are lots of pieces of SS used equipment large and small which I believe were not marked.

To suggest that I am jealous of the 'secret millionaire' SS collection is equally absurd for many of the same reasons. I am not a jealous person and no one could produce evidence to the contrary. As with most things in life, there has always been plenty of things and opportunity to go around. Like most collectors, having the money to buy all that I want has been more the issue. Secondly, as with my distrust of SS marked bayos, I have always distrusted the "secret millionaire collection" story. Once I had hands on of some specimens and was able to determine they were fraudulent, I knew I was correct about this distrust. It should go without saying that it would be illogical to envy a collection that is fraudulent. My only inclination has been to expose the fraud.

In terms of value - SS G/K98 vs. SS marked bayo. Very subjective. My goal has never been to drive the value of SS rifles up. The bottom line is authenticity. If guaranteed authentic, I dont know anyone who wouldnt pay more for an SS marked rifle than an SS marked bayo.

I have spent over 20 years focused on research of SS marked G/K98s. I am constantly pursuing this research task but agree it is incomplete. However, as with all such subjects I dont believe that absolute completion is possible. I am moving forward with my book regardless. It wont be perfect but it will represent all that I have learned to date.

I suggest you pay very close attention to ORPO's comments. They are spot on. As of a couple years ago, others like Joe Pankowski, who have made their life collecting/dealing blades, will say the same thing. Not a smoking gun but still very troubling.

In conclusion Richard, I am concerned that our disagreement on this subject has become personal on your side. I believe in debate as a source of flushing out the truth. I would never compromise my reputation by calling what I believe to be a good item bad, or a bad item good. Reputation like authenticity is everything.

Scott B