Richard,

Please forgive the delay in my response but I attended 3 different shows this weekend.

I respectfully disagree with your comment that SS marked “bayonets are less screwed with than are SS rifles.” I have not seen an SS bayo yet that favorably compares to a legitimate SS marked rifle. The fact of the matter is, that anyone with access to a pantagraph machine, a good custom tool and die maker (for SS marking dies and number dies), bluing tanks and standard Imperial or Wiemar reissued 84/98IIIs, 98/05s, frogs and period Polish and Czech bayos and frogs can make SS marked bayos and frogs all day long. The only sophistication would come from properly ageing the finished product. Not enough people have seen legitimate SS deathshead markings to positively ID good from bad. Effectively executing this same exercise with SS G/K98s requires much more knowledge and sophistication. You just cant slap a deathshead and engrave or stamp a couple numbers on any 98 or 98 components to make it SS. As previously stated, legitimate SS marked rifles have many more data points, which must verify to positively determine originality.

It has taken me almost 25 years to build a collection of 40+ matching and correct SS G/K98 variations. I have also collected data on several hundred more, which I have personally examined during this time. Its interesting to note that the mismatch rate of a major component (bolt,action,stock) on legitimate SS marked rifles is about 50%. I am very uncomfortable with the quantity of “matching” SS marked bayos, which have been showing up. Aside from not liking many of the SS specific markings, my general observation is that they are appearing matching at a disproportionate rate to standard, matching, unit marked (of any other branch) 84/98III, 98/05 or SS marked rifles. My point is, that while all the others show up mismatched at a fairly consistent high rate - SS bayos don’t seem to. For whatever reason and against the odds, SS bayos seem to be showing up with matching control numbers and markings. Am I the only person who recognizes this?

I am also concerned that people like Joe Pankowski, Wittman and Johnson had never seen SS bayonets until recently. I believe this speaks to the fact that SS bayonets are a relatively new phenomena which is rather difficult to explain. People make the arguments that previously such dealers/collectors could not be bothered with combat bayonets or may have "missed the SS markings." I have followed up with all three and these arguments have proven to be inaccurate. Believe me, they all knew what SS bayo troddels were years ago, recognized that engraved SS dress bayos existed, were desirable/valuable and all admitted to me that they would have jumped all over any SS combat bayo they would have encountered or heard about. SS combat bayos and their SS specific markings are not exactly subtle. The "missed the SS markings" argument is absurd.

Last summer I personally examined and did data sheets on four SS marked rifles, which were obtained from the secret millionaire collection. All examples were fraudulent and in fact rather crude attempts of fraudulent SS rifles. A single example of fraud would discredit the complete fantasy story. Four personally examined specimens plus details and pictures of two others from the secret millionaire collection all of which are fraudulent seal the fate of this story and this source. It is evidence that fraud items from a single source have traveled to more than one buyer. It should be no surprise that fakes have spread. It should also be no surprise that the value of SS marked bayos drives other entrepeneurs to manufacture specimens with varying degrees of sophistication. Most importantly Richard, if items from this fraudulent source have been utilized as a baseline for originality the data and results are now quite flawed.

Finally, MH showed me several items of yours years ago. The only ones I currently own are my old SSR which you owned for a short time and a very basic bnz43-sszza4. All else was initially or shortly therafter rejected. Although a good friend, MH is one of several knowledgable collectors I know and trust. He has certainly made mistakes as we all have. However, collectively the sum of my group is as good as it gets.

I am very open to the potential existance of SS marked bayos. It would enhance my own collection and interest. However, based on the picures and hands on evidence I cant support their case. Its hard to believe that I am the only one unwilling to drink the Koolaide on this subject.

Scott B