Richard,

I stand by my comments.

I would not be encouraged by the fact that engraved numbers you have observed in this series all look the same. Certainly numbered SS daggers show variation in characters, placement and application. SS marked rifles also show variation in number characters and application. Why shouldnt the subject SS combat bayonets? Aside from those observations, the primary issue is the fresh appearance of metal condition exposed by engraving after 60 years. Any examination of legitimate unit marked bayos, regardless of branch, be it engraved or stamped characters, which expose metal through blue, must show evidence of 60 years exposure. The only exceptions being if the item came from a time capsule or if metal was exposed more recently. I am not aware of any other explanations - are you?

As you know Richard, my collecting focus for the past 20+ years is SS marked rifles. I am quite conversant on legitimate and fake deathsheads, other SS markings and SS arms production. Of course there is much more to a legitimate SS marked rifle than SS markings. In any case, my collection has been vetted by the best and could never be confused with Jensen garbage. In previous postings you have indicated that the same deathsheads and SS marks used on rifles were also used on SS bayos. I think we can agree that if such markings were ever period applied, this is a logical conclusion. However, I am concerned about some of the deathsheads you have posted in a previous thread.

I remain very skeptical about SS combat bayos and those I have seen recently at shows and posted online in forums. The secret millionaire collection not withstanding, I am particularly concerned about the volume that have suddenly surfaced over the past few years.

Scott