Krause,

Your are right about a piece that raises too many questions. I ran into the same problem recently with an early 70's Rolex Paul Newman cosmograph which is an extremely rare and sought after watch.It was straight out of a house that belonged to the original owner with the original box and reciept showing date of purchase and now closed jewelry store chain. The problem was the case # and the inside back #were not exact and that is unusual but Rolex did some things this way. I don't know why and neither could one of the biggest dealers in the usa. Also the movement had no serial# except the name rolex on one of the register bridges. Very unusual , but there again some slid thru and are still considered acceptable. This particular watch is probably worth 15,000 to 19,000 as it is.But may be a tough sell to a serious collector. Now the same watch properly marked and # is more like 30,000 to 40,000. I,m only using this example to compare with a situation like yours. In short, some will believe, others will not. Yes it is very frustrating at times.