quote:
Fred, if you had actual experience with these daggers, you'd know that "Huhnlein" is not engraved, but acid etched. If you had experience studying investment casting, you'd know that molten wax, not molten metal, is poured into molds (I too made this error when I first started studying investment casting). My question was simple: are the casting marks on the cartouche-style clip (the type pictured in the Offermann photo), identically placed on all the examples you've seen photos of

Craig, Hands on no, but I�ve had enough experience with fakes in general, to recognize some of the telltale signs of a fake when I see it. Please take a look at page 8 of the thread. Because while during the time when these blades were being modified into ersatz (variant) �H�hnlein� signature marked blades, they could have been subsequently acid treated to try and camouflage the signs of mechanical engraving. "Acid etching" by itself does not account for the 3D nature of the signatures at right angles to the blade �grain�. Page 8

At one time we used to manufacture precision investment casting equipment. And I still have one brother who owns a company that makes precision investment castings. So I know more about precision investment castings than you might think. And, in case you�ve forgotten, elsewhere it was reported that in your book it says rubber molds were used.

As to the placement of the fake markings they are in the same relative locations and same orientations. With the original fake cast �800� marks mostly obliterated by an individually done # �8� hand stamp, and a # �0� hand stamp repeated twice. FP

BTW: The Offermann type of wide connector (and chain set) are different. See: Page 11

NSKK_Danish_.jpg (88.75 KB, 482 downloads)