quote:
�for what my oppinions worth i can accept the dagger is genuine but i think the chain and hanger has been added post war perhaps the original was missing ?? hence the poor quality and cast/fake hall marks�

?nickn2, The basic �core� daggers are original, and that has not been an issue, but let�s look at the idea for a moment. I'm not sure if I understand it correctly or not, but under that scenario if I got it right, someone would have to find a �treasure trove� of roughly 1/2 (?) of all the �H�hnlein" daggers that we know about. Fully intact with their nickel silver center mounts. But no chain sets. What do you think the odds are that someone could find all those daggers together in that specific condition? Ready to have just the new manufacture silver chain sets with the fake �Gahr� marks installed?

On October 6th Gailen David said:
quote:
�Not sure I've got this right. What your saying is that someone found a pile of original black leather wrapped honor daggers with Damascus blades after the wars end. They then added the chain and clip. Is that what your saying? Also I'm not sure I understand but are you saying that the reverse inscriptions are post war added? If you are saying any of the above then please seek professional help right away before you harm yourself or others.�

If I�m interpreting it correctly, apparently he does not think it�s possible to assemble such a group of daggers. And suggested that I seek �professional help� (presumably) for even considering the idea.

Any way you look at it IMO a significant counterfeiting/faking operation took place. Which (IMO) has fooled a lot of people for a long time.

PS: They did a little better job of cleanup inside the holes with this one, but look at the square corners of the small connector links. They were not just �lazy� with one aspect of these conversions to �H�hnlein� daggers, it's just one of a number of workmanship issues. FP

NSKK_Gahr_sq_crnr.jpg (56.02 KB, 280 downloads)