OK Craig, my previous reference to you was not in order, and I apologise for that.

The photograph that I posted of Huhnlein was taken at the 1936 Olympics. Dr. K.G. Klietmann has stated ("German Daggers and Dress Sidearms of WWII", pub. Field and Fireside, 1967) that the order to paint NSKK scabbard black, was issued on 19 May, 1936, but that the introduction of the chained dagger was not decreed until 1938.

So the example that I show being worn by Huhnlein cannot be the standard chained dagger, and the distinctive chain cartouche and the central mount appear to confirm that distinction. I submit that it is a "High Leader dagger"; and that it does not necessarily have to have "Honour fittings". The "Honour Dagger" is a separate category, although it would appear - when considering the SA examples - that it can be combined with a "High Leader chained pattern".

The one thing which is most certain, is that these distinctive items will not feature the cast spoof hallmarking, and crudely made centre mount, that you are so keen on promoting.

FP is absolutely right - his photo analysis clearly shows that the "existing chained daggers" have a suspension that is NOT IDENTICAL to that shown on the Offermann photo. The wide cartouche is visibly different - seen even with the limited quality of the photo; and the connector links are seen to be thicker and the chain links more substantial.

There is no way that the Huhnlein dagger shown is the exact same type of item that Offermann is wearing.

FJS