Jim, I was going to point out some as yet not discussed problems with the Gr�ner dagger, but took time out instead to take a quick look at the Offermann photo. And I don't think anyone is going to have to explain the fake �Gahr� silver fittings. Because the Offermann center mount in the photo itself is different than these (I have to assume) fakes that are currently in circulation. Which means that they are all fakes, as clearly seems to be evidenced by the photo of the center mount that Offermann is wearing.

More specifically: The Offermann dagger does not appear to have an (upper mount) embossed border. But much more importantly the center raised portion of the Offermann dagger is much more pronounced - not flat (please note the shadows). And the �wasp waist� of the center mount is not only closer to the raised central area (right next to it). It is also narrower.

PS: Can somebody please tell me what kind of XRay machine can tell what (if any) signature is on that dagger blade in the photo??? FP

Offermann_combo_enhcd.jpg (78.21 KB, 1141 downloads)