We�re getting away a little from the signatures aspect of the discussion, which is just one aspect of the H�hnlein daggers.

But the input of those who have more knowledge of silver and silver markings is certainly most welcome. For that part of the discussion here is a composite of the faked markings. Showing another example of both the cast, and the individually hand stamped # 8�s and # 0�s with them all grouped together. While it seems quite obvious to me and a number of others, it may not be to everyone. So if anyone questions that interpretation I would be happy to elaborate (at least from my own perspective).

And something good may still come from this part of the discussion:

�In the mean time, we have the photo of Offermann wearing the NSKK with silver chain, and many documented "surfacings" of these daggers worldwide. Please explain, doubters. I think (#1 Craig), (#2) Ron Weinand, (#3) Tom Wittmann, (#4) Grant Bias, (#5) Tom Johnson, (#6) Gailen David, (#7) Ken Brethaur, (# 8) Jason Burmeister, (# 9) Brian Maederer, (#10) Houston Coates many (?) advanced collectors, (# 11) Brigadefuhrer Gruner, and (# 12) Obergruppenfuhrer Offermann, (# 13) our Danish connection, and the (#14) Mooney family, just dying to know the answer!�

I would imagine that with the combined institutional/accumulated knowledge of at least some of the still living individuals cited above. They could figure out among themselves when they first saw the silver fitted H�hnlein daggers appear on the scene. Which would provide a possible start date for a counterfeiting operation to have been in operation.

And by using the signatures. And other criteria of those daggers as compared to the rest. Possibly find some original examples - that could help set a baseline for what a legitimate H�hnlein dagger would or should look like?? No guarantees, but I think it might be worth the effort. FP

H-dagger-silver-mks_copy.jpg (94.57 KB, 489 downloads)