Bernd,

Good pictures of the SOS stuff. There are a few of these BZP uniforms out there but not a lot. I agree with Pat that they are few and far between. The dark blue ones seem to be particularly hard to find.

"Did the BZP ever wear fieldgray uniforms? A dealer I know says they did. His grandfather was in the BZP and he said he has the uniform and period photos. I've yet to see them though. I did pick up a fieldgrey visor hat years ago that looks good to me but I've been told by a knoweldgeable friend that the BZP never wore fieldgrey uniforms. I thought it possible because towards the end of the war, didn't the BZP come under control of the SS?"

Raymond,

I am afraid I forgot to answer your question above. The Bahnschutzpolizei did not wear fieldgrey to my knowledge but they were not the only railway security units on the line. The Zugwacht and the Bahnhofwacht did wear fieldgrey with gorgets like the Feldpolizei. There were also armed Railway Pioneer (Eisenbahntruppen) units that were under the wartime control of the Wehrmacht that wore regular fieldgrey Heer uniforms. It may well be that this fellow was assigned to one of these units. Most police and security units came under some partial control of Heinrich Himmler because they usually derived their authority as Auxiliary Police from him as Chief of the German Police. The BZP had their own chain of command though and was only responsible to Himmler for short emergency tactical assignments (like the other police agencies).

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson