Dane, A few years ago when I first met this collector he wanted 1 million dollars for the piece. I laughed..
He began his tirade of why do 'worthless pieces of modern art' go for much more. What is their historical significance? Why are Dalis pieces worth millions? A Cambell soup can painting worth millions? a print of Picasso worth a million? The scream painting worth 20 Mil.?a ring Elizabeth Taylor and another Jackie O. had made/received just in the last 50 years worth a million? etc. He claims the piece not only involved the designer, the artist, but the craftstmen/jeweler and the gemologists who collectively were required to get the piece made. It has historical value. Its a piece of artwork. I don't argue that. For a very brief few seconds I almost agree with him on price!
As I mentioned,,he has many wonderful pieces. Some in the war booty books, others in magazines. He traded other excellent pieces to get these pieces he now owns. He's cared for them and owned them for longer than the original recipients! Dane, I think the only one losing sleep over the piece is the owner! Wink Big Grin,,,G.