Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#93013 01/20/2006 01:39 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Recently there has been discussions relating to the zimmerman dotted DKiG "variant". This is a piece in which there are dots in the date of the 1941. This piece is different with regard to the characteristics not only of the date, but wreath, sunburst, and style of the "20" stamp. Particular problems with the piece include the following:

1. The wreath is different. There are multiple areas on the wreath which differ from wartime original pieces, beyond the dots in the date. The mulitiple areas of difference suggest a different die was used to make this piece than wartime zimmerman dies.

2. The sunburst is different. There are no pieces with the "zimmerman flaw" at 10 oclock. There are other ares in which the sunburst is different in structural appearance.

3. The "20 stamp is different. The base of the "2" is longer and there is a greater gap between the "0" and the "2".

4. There are no pieces with provenance. Despite zimmerman being the most prolific maker of DKiGs, there are no pieces with documented provenance, which are routinely found on other wartime makers.

5. There are no Klein "dotted" pieces. Klein and zimmerman wreaths are identical, suggesting some wartime cooperation between the firms. If there was truely a wartime dotted zimmmerman, we would expect to see dotted Kleins as well, yet there are none.

These characterisitics suggest to me the strong possibility of a post war fake. It is possible that all of the above are simply by chance and that this piece was made "late war" (which appears to be a recent euphemism for fake), yet there appears to be no evidence to verify this. It seems as though, given the efforts at many to "rehabilitate" fakes recently by repeated claims on authenticity and endorsement by authors, that the responsibility should be on the "new variant" to show that the piece is actually wartime, rather than the converse.

#93014 01/20/2006 01:44 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Here is the difference in the upper wreath compared to a wartime piece

zim_real_dotted_upper.jpg (70.63 KB, 712 downloads)
#93015 01/20/2006 01:45 AM
T
OP Offline
T
The lower wreath

real_dotted_zim_lower.jpg (70.09 KB, 692 downloads)
#93016 01/20/2006 07:22 AM
Tom, I believe this was handled on WehrmachtAwards.com. I have found, directly from an Iowa veteran, a cased DKiG with the dotted date and, from another motel buy veteran, an uncased dotted version.
Also, several other collectors have found these directly from veterans and had posted this on the other site.
I have no doubt these are period originals and were a variation by hallmarked 20. While I have found several golds, only two 20s were with the dotted date variety and, as I have found only one silver, I can comment on a dotted date silver one.
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
#93017 01/20/2006 12:42 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Ron-

I have no doubt that you have found some of these pieces from veterans. I do not doubt your word on that at all regarding your acquisitions. I will point out that I had acquired a "veteran acquired" rounder RK as well a floch EK1, so some of these pieces sold by vets are not necessarily original. There was a consensus of thought on the WAF site, as detractors were edited or suspended to prevent dissenting opionions.

This piece has a different wreath, sunburst, and maker mark stamp than the wartime originals. I fully agree that this COULD be a wartime piece, but I think we need further evidence, in the form of some solid provenance or manufacturer catalog, to embrace this piece as wartime. When a piece deviates from accepted originals in two structural componants as well as the maker mark, I think that one needs to have pretty solid information to accept it fully as a wartime piece. The above issues, regarding no provenance, two different structural componants, as well as no Klein pieces is particularly disturbing. We should be careful when accepting new variants in the absence of solid evidence, otherwise we end up with Otto Schickle LCTBs and rounder RKs that appear and become accepted prima facia as wartime originals in the absence of solid evidence.

#93018 01/20/2006 03:40 PM
Tom, I doubt that, as it was late war, you will find it in any catalogs. Also, as I remember, my veteran lot contained cased eagle orders, cased oak leafs, and other assorted medals from Schloss Klossheim and the 3rd Division at war's end. He was in their signals battalion, so I have no doubt as to its originality.
Believe as you wish, but others are just as committed as I am as to its wartime existance.
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria
PS: I prefer the DKiG six rivet marked 21.

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
#93019 01/20/2006 11:27 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I fully respect your views, Ron.

The problem I have with the piece is the poor finishing and marked differences with a zimmerman wreath. If we are to accept the piece as wartime, then we must accept that zimmerman completely changed thier wreaths and sunbursts, as well as maker mark stamp. Further, other zimmermans which are closer matches to the wartime zimmerman, have been dismissed as fakes. Below is a comparison of fake Detlev has identified compared to a wartime piece- pretty close fit and actually a better match than the dotted piece.

upper_detlev_fake_zim_to_real_zim.jpg (73.68 KB, 575 downloads)
#93020 01/20/2006 11:30 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Here is the fake lower wreath compared to a real zimmerman.

fake_detlev_zim_to_real_zim.jpg (73.83 KB, 558 downloads)
#93021 01/20/2006 11:39 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Here is an example of difference in the stamp

DSC00114.JPG (58.48 KB, 571 downloads)
#93022 01/20/2006 11:46 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Here is an example of the differences in finishing. Note the poor finishing of the wreath on the dotted example compared to a wartime piece.

Mc4_copy_2.jpg (73.13 KB, 555 downloads)
#93023 01/20/2006 11:47 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Latly, here is the date. The photo shows not only the differences in the date, but the adjacent wreath.

Md7.jpg (68.37 KB, 528 downloads)
#93024 01/21/2006 01:45 AM
Tom, we know there are differences, but this does not define the time period or the production time.
Also, I have seen many differences in the 20 stamps among the EKIs that I have found from veterans. This, again, posses a question as to when the TM was used or if the numbers were punched individually.
Ron

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
#93025 01/21/2006 03:58 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Ron, I agree that the differences are clear. However, what makes the dotted DKiG real, when it has clear difference in the wreath, sunburst, and maker mark, while the fake zimmerman is fake? The fake posted above is acutally a much closer match to the wartime piece than the dotted DKiG, yet its difference defines it as a fake. How are we to determine what is fake and what is real, in the absence of solid provenance, except to compare pieces to known original standards?

The odd part is this also- where are the klein dotted pieces? Klein and zimmerman wartime wreaths are identical. One would expect that given the use of the same wreaths, we should see some klein dotted pieces, yet we have seen none.

I am not discounting the possibility that these could be real. Yet I would think that given the plethora of fakes, that variants deviating structurally from wartime originals should bear the burden of proof in the form of solid provenance to verify wartime production.

#93026 01/21/2006 03:58 AM
S
S
Tom, I take strong issue with your absurd statement "some of these pcs. sold by veterans are not original". I am wondering on what planet this unearthly phenomenon takes place. In buying from veterans via my ads for 45 years, I've NEVER experienced any veteran trying to sell me any fakery. I do admit that at gun shows tho, fake-peddling charlatans posing as "veterans" have tried with no success to sell me repros; but since it was spotted right away that said fakes were repros, it didn't happen. The only way such a happenstance could take place is if the buyer with very little real experience, didn't know what the heck he was doing, didn't know what he was looking at. I think it all boils down to experience. And lots of it, with many years of looking at these things. Experience & true knowledge will ferret the thief out of the woodshed & disclose the impostor. You pointed out such an example, as you said you were bamboozled by someone posing as a veteran, into buying a supposedly fake Knight's Cross & a fake Floch EK1, what the heck,- why on earth did you get taken in the first place on such elementary pcs.?

#93027 01/21/2006 04:03 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Schloss-

It is not absurd. Fakes are sold by vets quite often, either intentionally or unintentionally. Post war, most makers of awards continued to make pieces as a part of the souvenier market to GIs. Trading went on for souveniers post war and later. "Vet acquired" pieces can and have been some of these fakes as well as fakes that have been traded or switched to vets at a later time.

Do you honestly believe that every piece sold by a vet is legit? What fake have you run across that does not have the story that it was acquired by a vet?

#93028 01/21/2006 07:53 AM
Tom, I went through this drill on WA.com. Having worked with veterans in my position as Director of Pharmacy at an 850 bed veteran facility for over 25 years, I got to know all the stories and how to talk with veterans, so my ability to tell if their story was the truth or not became second nature to me. Having done over 350 motel buys and had the experience with dealing with veterans, I think I can make a good judgement on their items origin, so I am fairly confident in buying their story and their item.
You can believe as you wish, but the dotted DKiG is good as gold to me.
Ron Weinand, D.P.
Weinand Militaria

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
#93029 01/21/2006 06:12 PM
I share Ron's view. I have had many dotted-type Gemran Crosses in Gold, that were otherwise identical in construction quality, to the plain-dated counterpart. Their existance pre-dates the "WAF Discovery" by decades. Further, I know for certain that Jason Burmeister has acquired dotted-type German Cross in Golds from the various Schloss Klessheim hoards he has purchased. As he so aptly reasoned over on WAF, if they were fake, or were the product of some conspiracy, then some clever individual would have to had traveled the country, and sprinkled these pieces in among the many hoards Jason has had a part in surfacing.

Craig Gottlieb
Founder, German Daggers Dot Com
www.cgmauctions.com
#93030 01/21/2006 09:58 PM
Discussion is good! Could we see a close up of the dotted date?

--dj--Joe

<BR>
#93031 01/22/2006 12:51 AM
S
S
Tom, Craig Gottlieb's excellent posting only serves to expand on what I've mentioned above relating to the importance of lengthy experience with these badges, especially with experiences in securing them from the heroes who brought them back,- your contentious viewpoints on this 'dotted-date' badge remain without credence based on your dilettante's experience.

#93032 01/22/2006 12:52 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you for a cordial discussion, gentleman. I respect your opinions regarding this and point out that the dotted DKiG, in my opinion, MAY be wartime. However, I am uncomfortable with the following points, which have not been addressed-

1. Differences in the die characteristics of the wreath. Again, there is piece posted above that more closely represents the accepted wartime zimmerman DKiG, yet that is a fake. Why is the dotted piece then real?

2. Difference in stamp. They did change from heavy to light zimmerman. However, this would be a third change.

3. No dotted DKiGs with provenance. Given that zimmerman was the most prolofic producer of DKiGs, I would expect that we would have one such piece showing provenance. There are examples of provenance of the other makers. Why is there no pieces with provenance for the "dotted" piece?

4. No Kleins with dots. The two wreaths are identical, yet we have no Kleins with dots. We would have to assume that zimmerman stopped their relationship with Klein, or vice versa, to accept the absbence of Klein dotted pieces.

5. The piece would have to be late war, if we presume it to be original, as it is lighter and presumably made of cupal. This would preclude an early contention,as it would be like the heavy zimmerman and made of tombak.

Ron- I too have had a clinic at the VA and have seen a few fakes come my way. I was offered a Floch EK1 by a vet as a "bring back". The rounder that I purchased reportedly came directly from a vet estate sale. I love working with the vets, but as noted above, many of these guys were buying pieces post war as souveniers and trading in and out. Who knows where they really came from.

This is my opionion- you have yours. I would certainly change my opionion if we had a piece with solid provenace, like that seen on the Tim Calvert 3/4 ring cross. In the absence of that, the discprencies noted above would lead me to believe that this is not of wartime production.

#93033 01/22/2006 12:58 AM
S
S
Tom, in re-reading the "olde first go-round" of these on the WA Forum, I've noted that well-respected & well-experienced advanced collector Bob Hritz chimed in back then on 9.Dec.05 that he too, had at times, found these 'dotted-date' German Crosses from veterans over the years, so we can add Bob's name to those who've veteran-acquired these badges.

#93034 01/22/2006 01:24 AM
S
S
Tom, now I have to reply to your posting of 20.Jan06 23:03. That worn-out myth "fakes are sold by vets quite often" is one of those wacky scary fairytales that most likely emanated from the old gun shows & the unpolished dealers at same. I, me personally, still find your statement totally absurd, & the reasoning behind this is in that in half-a-century of buying from veterans, I've never been offered a fake from one of these guys. Yes, I've seen ads on ebay with pictures of blatant fakes with stories of "coming from a vet", but in those cases, the fake speaks for itself as being a fake, & so the phony story is seen as just a part of the marketing ploy of the crook to pass the fake onto un unexperienced beginner, & has no relation to honest stories from actual veterans. Again, it's the savvy/ability to smell a rat when one's in the garbage pile.

#93035 01/22/2006 02:50 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Schloss-

Again, point well taken and I am not diminishing at all your experience with regared to dealing with vets. I love the vets and that is why I do a VA clinic,as it is not worth it financially. I further offer that the presenece of pieces in obtained from a vet with other original examples is a good sign. As above, I do believe that vet acquired pieces may be post war acquired through trading, or acquired post war. These guys are not liars. I am not suggesting that at all. I think that many times they have simply forgotten where they heck they got these pieces.

An example of the above was a psychological study in which people were filmed with their reaction and location to that reaction to the O.J. Simpson trial. They were asked ten years later where they were and what thier response was. The response given was not the actually experience, recorded on film, but was a unintentionaly confabulation based on media images.

Bottom line for me- Memories fade. I want some solid facts before I acknowledge that a piece that deviates from known wartime pieces is in fact a wartime original. No slam on the vets at all- I take extra time for these world war two guys, as they deserve our respect, but I am trained in evaluating data, not stories.

#93036 01/22/2006 03:15 AM
Online Content
This seems to be a fight from another Forum. We don't need this here.

I am locking this until we figure who is who.

Dave

#93037 01/23/2006 02:21 PM
Online Content
Topic open again.

If you don't agree with someone, that is OK, but please phrase your replies politely.

Thanks

#93038 01/23/2006 06:56 PM
S
S
Tom, if as you say you are 'trained in evaluating data, not stories', then how can you really believe in the preposterous story (in my opinion, & I hope I do not offend anyone), without providing any actual proof/data,- "postwar most makers of awards continued to make pcs as part of the souvenir market to GI.s" Name the Firms, when did this after-combat production resume, when did it stop, etc., please let us all know these concrete facts. Consider this: US Army takes over city of Ludenscheid; Nazi memorabilia production halted, many swastika items turned in by US Army Edict, to be burned, destroyed, turned into scrap-metal, etc. and/or be nabbed by souvenir-hunting GI's. Then the Plant Managers of F.W. Assmann, Berg & Nolte, Wilhelm Deumer, Freddy Linden, F&BL, & others, turn up in the office of the US Army City Commander one fine summer day in June 1945 & request that they be allowed to gear-up for & start production of Nazi swastika'd awards, in the best intentions of jump-starting the war-wrecked ecomony, to fill the demands of all those souvenir-hunting GI's. Yeah right. Especially when they had wooden bins full of finished wartime left-over badges/awards. As late as 1979, author JR Cone, while an Army 2dLt stationed in Germany, photographed wooden bins full of Nazi-produced awards in his visits to the awards firms; some are pictured in his old red-jacketed reference book on enameled badges, (not in the pirated blue-jacketed version). So Tom, it just doesn't make any sense to me that this story happened, with swastika-emblazoned things being destroyed on the left, & at the same time, swastika-emblazoned things being manufactured on the right. I am open to actual facts, not stories, & if proven to me, I'll be the first one to change my opinion.

#93039 01/23/2006 07:19 PM
quote:
Tom, if as you say you are 'trained in evaluating data, not stories', then how can you really believe in the preposterous story (in my opinion, & I hope I do not offend anyone), without providing any actual proof/data,- "postwar most makers of awards continued to make pcs as part of the souvenir market to GI.s" Name the Firms, when did this after-combat production resume, when did it stop,

Fact! As late as May 1953 one could buy any sort of medal, ribbon, or award up to and including Knight's Crosses, Oaks etc!

Sold openly in 'tailor' type shops even while negotians and discussions were going on for the 'new form' of awards to be issued.

Cheers,
Dave
#93040 01/23/2006 08:31 PM
S
S
Sorry Dave K.,your facts are NOT backed up with "facts", sounds like another great myth from the old gun show dudes, ok I'll bite, maybe it's possible, hey, I'm always open to new information coming forth from original source data on anything 3dReich. so show me or provide exacting data, where are you getting this from??, so what Firms were these, what were the Tailor Shops & in what cities/towns- provide actual facts please, or please, someone that's well-known in the awards hobby, enlighten me with proof that this happened, as I await facts, no more old wives' stories. Never heard this one before. Wow.

#93041 01/23/2006 08:59 PM
My dot versions came from the Schloss Klossheim hoard from members of the signal corps of the 3rd Division who took the castle in April 1945. No post war souviners here and directly from the veterans and with pictures from the castle takeover at their convention in Des Moines, Iowa, Tom (in your backyard). No post war items and no BS story.
SEVERAL members of this unit sold their medals to me and Jason Burmeister and others. Far too many veterans from the same unit with the same story to have had faded memories.
So, believe as you wish Tom, but I and several others are completely convinced about this particular medal being totally period original.
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
#93042 01/23/2006 09:24 PM
How about a 'price list' from 1953?

rvr4.jpg (59.14 KB, 278 downloads)

Cheers,
Dave
#93043 01/23/2006 09:40 PM
Interesting to note the price of the DKiG....must have been popular sellers Big Grin

Cheers,
Dave
#93044 01/23/2006 11:57 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Again, I agree that the presence of vet acquired pieces is a positive. However, the discrepencies are what I find disturbing (no pieces with provenance, differences in structural componants from accepted wartime original pieces, no kleins with dots). As Dave has pointed out in the catalog for items available for sale post war, awards were available to purchase. Without a piece with solid provenance, it becomes a matter of faith as far as what we all consider to be "enough" to consider a piece wartime. I think that if these pieces are in fact wartime, at some point a piece with fairly solid provenance should turn up as supporting evidence. Perhaps that will turn up in time, at which point I would change my mind. It is nagging me as to why the firm would change the wreath and the sunburst and stop whatever relationship they had with klein. I realize that other badges changed over the war, yet the wreath characterisitics of the other makers of DKiGs remained the same, even in going from the early 6 rivet deschlers to the heavy and light four rivet examples. Why such a departure for zimmerman?

#93045 01/24/2006 02:36 AM
German speakers?

rev7.jpg (62.53 KB, 397 downloads)

Cheers,
Dave
#93046 01/24/2006 06:25 AM
S
S
Dave, nice List of awards. I like the prices. So where's the 1953 date & who's the Company?? Don't be afraid to post this info, no German firm is gonna get in trouble at this late stage. Your posting of 23.1.06 14:19 is not specific as to whether you were talking about postwar production being available to buy, or the availability of original wartime-produced leftovers that were sold openly, etc.,- so is this List you posted a list of 1953-produced pcs. or a list of wartime-made leftovers? I don't find it strange at all that wartime-made leftovers could be bought openly in 1953; heck, as late as 1977 I found original tinnies & original unissued mint bronze, silver, gold Motor Vehicle Driver Badges in envelopes in storage (hundreds) at the Rudolf Souval KG firm in Vienna. At that time the Drivers Badges had just about the same status to collectors as a tinnie. Or maybe you meant that the 1953 List was a list of postwar-made pcs. If this is the case, this List you posted is irrelevant as to the proof & facts I asked for; we are discussing awards brought back from the veterans of WW2 when they came back home in 1945/46; not fake junque items passed off to the Occupation Army during the korean War in 1953. So it isn't gonna fit the bill. If this is a List of 1953 repros, you seem to assume they are of high quality. Perhaps they were not, but were the usual junky stuff seen here in the USA at that time, or maybe the stuff was on par with the Souval stuff. Your 1953 List has much of the same terminology as the 1972 Rudolf Souval Listings. But no matter that about the quality, a 1953 List of repros available to the later Occupation Forces does not pertain to the time frame 1945/46 & the combat-veterans souvenir-hunting at that time. What else ya got?

#93047 01/25/2006 01:07 AM
The article is very specific and suggests that all items are new (not old stock) and can be ORDERED with a wait time of approx. 4 weeks.

For larger orders the owner would send a client directly to the manufacturer....in this case S&L is mentioned.

DSC07654.JPG (36.27 KB, 321 downloads)

Cheers,
Dave
#93048 01/25/2006 01:07 AM

DSC07656.JPG (19.54 KB, 316 downloads)

Cheers,
Dave
#93049 01/25/2006 01:08 AM

DSC07657.JPG (6.85 KB, 314 downloads)

Cheers,
Dave
#93050 01/25/2006 01:12 AM

DSC07658.JPG (7.67 KB, 313 downloads)

Cheers,
Dave
#93051 01/25/2006 01:12 AM

DSC07659.JPG (41.86 KB, 311 downloads)

Cheers,
Dave
#93052 01/25/2006 01:40 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Interesting photos, Dave!

With pieces available to order via catalog (even with a ban on the swaz in post war germany) it begs the question as to when did the production of these wartime medals stop? Presumably juncker RK dies were destroyed during the war, but what happened to the dies of the other medals of other makers? The forensic evidence of post war S&L crosses, with increased flawing on "B" type pieces and the presence of 1957 pieces suggests the continuation of post war production. Further, the presence of zimmerman, K&Q, and schickle 1957 RKs would suggest that these makers continued to produce awards post war.

Did this occur for other awards? Apparently by the catalog above, it did. This would lead one to believe that the marked definitions of "post war" and "wartime" are a little more muddy than we have thought and perhaps a more valid categorization is characteristics consistent with wartime pieces vs not characteristic of wartime pieces. Fortunately for us, dies wear out eventually, such that if we define the specific features of a wartime piece, we can look for progression of flaws to make a presumption of a later manufacture date. Examination of '57 pieces has been helpful in this regard to RKs. Perhaps there is some information that would be helpful there as well with regard to the DKiGs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,459 SS Bayonets
1,760,274 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,731 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Mikee, Documentalist, Baz69, Stephen, Honestmike, Mbuin, Evgeniy, AndyRose), 491 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod