Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92800 05/07/2007 04:28 PM
Grumpy Offline OP
OP Offline
My main concern is the crimps. The buckle looks pretty good otherwise, but I'm no expert on the markings. Any information is appreciated.

buckle5_(Medium).jpg (86.89 KB, 164 downloads)
Grumpy Offline OP
OP Offline
Front

buckle6_(Medium).jpg (62.71 KB, 163 downloads)
Grumpy Offline OP
OP Offline
Not long ago, I posted elsewhere a thread entitled "Peeved." Briefly, it was to note the lack of response when assistance was asked to confirm authenticity of an item. Some other members responded they have had similar experiences, while others gave their opinions as to why such a problem exists. A few seemed to want to minimize my observation. I see in the B&B forum at least two other members received responses to their questions about SS buckles somewhat promptly, while this thread and my question have no response. There are very clear photos posted, so an examination of the appearance of the buckle should be no problem. I am in no way criticing the other "posters," nor those who responded to their posts. I was interested in buying the buckle depicted here and had a chance to do so. However, I did have reservations about it and that is why I posted the thread. The opportunity to buy, fortunately or unfortunately, as the case may be, has passed. I am at a loss to understand why the experts and even the "experts," who seem to have great knowledge of these buckles, failed to assist me when their help was sought. Even a "could go either way" or "darned if I know" would have been of some assistance. This is not the first occasion this sort of thing has occurred and it is by no means limited to the B&B forum. I fully understand and appreciate there is no requirement to respond to any post on GDC. However, I am at a loss to understand why help was not received when asked for.

I would not buy this buckle as I see it not as an original OLC piece.

J
J
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
Not long ago, I posted elsewhere a thread entitled "Peeved." Briefly, it was to note the lack of response when assistance was asked to confirm authenticity of an item. Some other members responded they have had similar experiences, while others gave their opinions as to why such a problem exists. A few seemed to want to minimize my observation. I see in the B&B forum at least two other members received responses to their questions about SS buckles somewhat promptly, while this thread and my question have no response. There are very clear photos posted, so an examination of the appearance of the buckle should be no problem. I am in no way criticing the other "posters," nor those who responded to their posts. I was interested in buying the buckle depicted here and had a chance to do so. However, I did have reservations about it and that is why I posted the thread. The opportunity to buy, fortunately or unfortunately, as the case may be, has passed. I am at a loss to understand why the experts and even the "experts," who seem to have great knowledge of these buckles, failed to assist me when their help was sought. Even a "could go either way" or "darned if I know" would have been of some assistance. This is not the first occasion this sort of thing has occurred and it is by no means limited to the B&B forum. I fully understand and appreciate there is no requirement to respond to any post on GDC. However, I am at a loss to understand why help was not received when asked for.

Probably an original but I will not dare to give a 100% call based on those photos. This buckle has a very particuliar feature which NEEDS to be carefuly checked! Without strong confirmation performed by someone having the buckle in his/her hands (so been able to check in person since I doubt a photographic close up could bring the evidence) it is kind of impossible to tell for sure. Back in 2003 some close to perfect fake zinc 43's were already seldom seen. This one does not show their quick give away (from a photo) but ... that was four years ago.

Jean Pierre Redeuilh

Currently selling ALL my collection of SS buckles !

Gold GDC Badge # 0244 & Silver # 0302
Grumpy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, Jean Pierre. I do not know the history of fake SS buckles, as you do. My feeling is it is possible it is authentic, but somewhat questionable. The seller, of course, was advertising it as authentic. I did not want to spend considerable money on what later would be deemed a fake. If I could have bought it at a "fake" price, I would have done so. I suspect it may well remain controversial as time passes. Not the kind of thing, for me, anyway, to spend hundreds of dollars on and continue to wonder and worry about it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,268,050 SS Bayonets
1,764,943 Teno Insignia Set
1,134,300 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Can you determine authenticity of SS dagger?
by AnatoliyD - 05/17/2024 04:22 PM
SS dagger KM7/91
by zwoerf - 05/17/2024 06:56 AM
My first bayonet
by Cameron - 05/16/2024 03:33 PM
How do flotation tubs differ from traditional bathtubs?
by Aquant Seo - 05/16/2024 11:25 AM
Odd Manufacture ring
by Gaspare - 05/15/2024 11:28 PM
Latest New Posts
More stuff..
by BretVanSant - 05/20/2024 11:27 AM
Iron Crosses!
by Cameron - 05/19/2024 11:16 PM
nsdap
by Stephen - 05/19/2024 05:38 PM
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Luftbud - 05/18/2024 10:32 PM