Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84842 01/04/2006 06:30 AM
OP Offline
I have made it a point to avoid this forum, even though I have thought that I could have added a little to many of the discussions on this site. On one of the first occassions when I posted in the Helmet section, a couple of johnny-come-latelys proceeded to beat up my opinion and I went to the dagger and medal section where my experience with veteran acquired material was more appreciated.
I started writing reference books opn helmets before most collectors on this site were born, let alone collecting and while I don't know it all, I do have some experience in the field.
But with the given reception and attitude, I will let you all fight it out among the experts in residence here.
Ron Weinand
German Helmets 1933 - 1945 Vol. I & II

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
#84843 01/04/2006 07:17 AM
Thank's Ron for your comments. One oldtimer to another. See you at the Show of Shows. Tell Mr Goodapple I said hello! Ken

#84844 01/04/2006 10:54 AM
A
A
Dear mister Weinand,

I'm sorry to hear about your decision to stop posting here.
Too bad that new comers like myself have to do it without the opinions of a person who knows his stuff and gained a lot of experience during the years.

I'm always open to other people's opinion and not scared of a discussion.

Wish you all the best and hope you reconsider.

Kind regards

Arjan

Arjan
#84845 01/04/2006 11:05 AM
A
A
Well, seeing the last couple threads makes me want to post how I feel about this forum. I've heard it mentioned by several over the past few weeks that they feel this is the best forum. I believe it has the potential to be the best forum, but yet there are some things to be desired.
On the plus side, the knowledge level here seems to be great and the helmets are great. However compared to some other forums, I find this one not quite as welcoming to new collectors as others, and it seems that the willingness to help new collectors is not always there. I don't want to offend anyone, and I'm not criticizing the forum, I'm just expressing my opinion that there is room for imrovement in that area. If that is fixed, this will truly be the best forum, in my opinion.
Regards,

Andrew

#84846 01/04/2006 01:13 PM
Man, what did I miss ???

#84847 01/04/2006 01:27 PM
'The time has come' the Walrus said,

To talk of many things

Of Shoes and ships and sealing wax

Of cabbages and kings

And why the sea is boiling hot

and whether pigs have wings.

Lewis Carroll

Gentlemen,

I am bidding a fond "adieu" (goodbye in French) to one and all. I have never been one to overstay my welcome and it is quite apparant that I am not welcome by some of the membership here. That is fine. I will continue to collect on my own and will check in from time to time to see how things are going.

However, before I go...and for the record, let me say that my intentions were always honourable and my advice (based on my experience) freely given. My goal is and has always been the "helmet education" of others and myself. That is why I joined GDC in the first place. I see now that those who like to cast doubt and put others down are the winners here. Sad indeed.

For my friends...I am always available via email.

Cheers,

Darryl
#84848 01/04/2006 01:48 PM
A
A
Darryl, I'm sure the overwhelming majority here would not want to see you leave the forum. You are indeed one of the ones with the knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge who is a credit to this forum, regardless of what anyone else has said. That's what is needed.
Regards,

Andrew

#84849 01/04/2006 01:53 PM
Well Hellfire and Damnation!!!
This is a dark day for those of us who have profited in gaining knowledge from those who, like Darryl, have freely given us their time and opinions. I basically signed off of the forum as an active participant some while back mostly due to the tone of some exchanges but kept up reading some threads. I must say that this is a major loss to those of us who simply want to learn. I hope Darryl, that you may reconsider your decision, but I fully understand and I wish you all the best. I will stay in touch from time to time. Thanks for all of your past help.

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.
#84850 01/04/2006 02:38 PM
What in the **** is going on here!!??

What is the reason for this strange tread??
I really don't get it.

Darryl , i hope that you can have a drink or two and let the dark clouds drift away.Then tomorrow you'll see that (almost)ALL of the forum members here on GDC have only the utmost respect and gratitude towards your person and your knowlegde, wich we in turn tap into for wisdom and guidance.

To all of you who dislike this forum,why don't ya go somewhere else and whine?

Ulf the MAD Mad Mad

"I cleave the heavens and soar to the infinite. What others see from afar, I leave far behind me." - Giordano Bruno

#84851 01/04/2006 03:39 PM
T
T
Ron, It's sad you feel you have avoid this GDC as experience is a postive addition to any forum.
Darryl, I truely hope you reconsider your departure from the GDC, although i'm more of a reader than a poster of threads, I have always found your postings enlightening and considered your opinions of that of a man who has 'no axe to grind'. It will be a sad loss to the forum if your departure is permanent. I wish you the best in future hunting of the black helmets. Tim.

#84852 01/04/2006 03:55 PM
As a Moderator here, I have seen many ups and downs, with the ups out weighing the downs. Keeping the peace is one of the distasteful parts of this position and should rarely have to be used.
Opinions are like you know whats, everbody has one. Some are educated, and others are not. When opinions are given, receiving is part of the transaction. Everyone's input is encouraged and most received with open arms. Then there are the ones with a lack of thought behind them.

Please Gentlemen, don't give up on this great forum because of a few not so well thought out opinions.
Quiting is easy, but keeping GDC the best Helmet forum just takes tolerance and a little intestinal fortitude!
I won't give up on this forum or it's members. We are the best!
Larry

#84853 01/04/2006 04:40 PM
K
K
If the experts leave and/or dont want to join this or any quality forums, then people like myself will be truly lost at collecting.

My Great Uncle lost his leg at the Russian Front and my Grandfather was captured in Italy then handed over to England. He never talked about the war, so I am missing a lot of history and family knowlege. So anyway, for me I have respect for collecting Military artifacts.
I don't buy and sell, nor do I repo. anything. I'm not into that sort of thing.
When I hold a helmet in my hands, I think of the sacrifices, the blood sweat and tears of the soldier who wore it.
It is too bad some people have to "fake" a helmet for money, and as a new collector I relly on proper knowlege from books and EXPERT PEOPLE WHO CARE!!! (and the not-so-honest people need to be weeded out)
So if you are one of these people then you should stay and help because I need all the help I can get.

thanks...my 2 cents.

#84854 01/04/2006 04:52 PM
no no no no DON`T LEAVE THIS FORUM Confused....IT WILL BE Frown

#84855 01/04/2006 04:55 PM
W
W
Darryl,
Good luck and thanks for everything you have taught me.

#84856 01/04/2006 05:05 PM
I have a feeling there is a well planted plan to destroy GDC!!!In the last couple of months there has been more in fighting than ever before.Long standing collectors leaving the site.I am not a helmet collector(wish this part of the site was around when I did buy one)but I did enjoy the info and future info.Sad day for GDC as I wrote in an other topic"another nail in the coffin"

You know you're over the hill when "Happy Hour" means Nap Time

#84857 01/04/2006 06:39 PM
Darryl,

I missed the threads that caused these troubles and I don't know what they are all about.
I have always been very grateful for your advise and contributions on the forum and the time you took to reply to my emails in a kind and friendly way. I still hope you will reconsider though because your presence here is a great asset. Just know that, to me, your opinion on SS helmets has always been extremely valuable.

Kind regards,
Gerd Vantyghem

Always looking for Flemish related SS insignia and Flemish collaboration items!
#84858 01/04/2006 07:37 PM
P
P
I, too, would like to add my voice to the many:
Darryl, your ability to deliver a negative opinion with kindness, clarity and consideration will be sorely missed.. to say nothing about the positive opinions!
Please reconsider...the forum will be much diminished by your absence.
Paul

#84859 01/04/2006 08:38 PM
Hold on, have I missed something here?

I've not been on GDC for a while, but am now back and folks are talking about leaving? Could someone fill me in? PM or email if you want...

To Ty and Darryl, I respect your opinions and you have given me more help than you'll ever know, would be criminal to lose you and collectors like you.

I have to be honest that I run a forum, but it's not a rival to here, the web is big enough for us all. There are load of us that are on many different forums, some big, some small, but the main thing that I believe in is that we all care about collecting, not profit. We have a duty to learn about and preserve history. These forums help us reach that goal. The GD forum has a very important part to play in this, and I for one think the helmet forum in here would be much worse off if we lose Ty, Darryl and a few others.

Lenny...

www.milcol.net
#84860 01/04/2006 09:08 PM
I do not get it either, what is going on here!! Confused

Bryan

Bryan
#84861 01/04/2006 09:31 PM
Some of you guys have e-mailed me. Thanks for your comments.

You can see my thoughts on another thread I started.

#84862 01/04/2006 10:00 PM
I, too am at a loss to figure out what is going on here.

Darryl and Ty, I would ask you to reconsider leaving as you are seen as some of the most valuable and informed members of GDC.

Dave

#84863 01/04/2006 10:05 PM
I don't blame them for leaving.They got there brains and reputations knocked around yesterday by a nameless e-mail posted here by a member.Like I posted above there seems to be an agenda to destroy GDC

You know you're over the hill when "Happy Hour" means Nap Time

#84864 01/04/2006 10:15 PM
When someone tries to destroy a forum whose aim is to promote helmet collecting, and combat the fakes and bad practices, you have to ask yourself why they wish to destroy it?

Frown

Lenny...

www.milcol.net
#84865 01/05/2006 01:48 AM
Darryl,
So sorry to see you will be missing here and showing those great blackies!
Regards,,,,,,,,,,,Stephen

ALLGEMEINE_SS-HELMET.jpg (43.08 KB, 497 downloads)
#84866 01/05/2006 03:07 AM
P
P
Darryl

Since I have had the pleasure of talking and
meeting you many times,I also think highly
of you period!

I seldom ever run into those blackies but
can judge your type as AAAA++++.

Like any area collectors do have a tight circles of friends and thats how it is!

But you have always been generous of your help
or advise!

Don't change as this is whats needed more than
anything in this hobby! Friendly honest
people!

Sorry as I don't know others on personal basis,
but from what I have seen on forums is some great guys sharing.

Not everyone is going to agree on everything
but its all about attitude!

Be nice! And everything takes care of its self!

PVON

#84867 01/05/2006 06:54 AM
Silly, simply silly.

One of the first elementary advice we generally give in our forums to new members (I mean the sincere and true novice collectors) is to learn who's the one who speaks. So, shall I understand that this doesn't apply to the oldest and most experienced members ? Silly.

Then shall I understand that the ones who speaks louder are finally the ones who are right and who reduce the others to silence ? Silly.

Do I really see that you, the experienced, valuable and helpful collectors, let yourselves be kicked out by masked low-IQed clowns ? Silly.

When I think that from now on, you'll only read a thread in which only one thing will be missing for it to be complete : your post (I saw that several times in the WAF for SS decals, Mr D. P. *), I think it's really silly (and sad).

Do you really think that, for the real collectors among us, your words need a big voice to get all their weight ?
If it's the case, I think YOU are silly...

Simply silly.

* This well-known collector, master es-SS-decals-and-helmets sciences, was named above by his initials only, in order to protect Darryl's intimacy and modesty.

Chris
#84868 01/05/2006 08:17 AM
A dark day for GDC indeed. Again we see a self proclaimed know it all putting down those that have indeed proven themselves time & time again.

Those that have studied one form of helmet for years are being forced out because some with a general knowledge thinks that they know better.

The battle is won for the fakers.

Thanks Darrly for all the help & advice you have given to the community & myself over the years. I hope that you will reconsider your decision to withdraw from GDC & rise above the plebeians that it attracts.

Cheers
Don

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.
#84869 01/05/2006 08:27 AM
W
W
This is an absolute disgrace to the collecting community that some know-it-all can downgrade the knowledge of an expert like Darryl. I know that I would not be alone to say that the 2 forums are built around the knowledge of people like Darryl, Shu, Perry, Zahn, Ty, etc. If they aren't going to be a part of a forum like this, then I don't want to be either. THis is the reason there is a forum, and just because some idiot thinks they know something, everyone is getting bent out of shape. I wasn't happy when Darryl moved away from the WER forum, as I always followed his knowledge over here. If everyone who knows something about German helmets is going to quit on us, maybe the major amateurs like me should just quit on the collecting field altogether! You guys know your stuff, and shouldn't feel guilty for it!

#84870 01/05/2006 09:16 AM
This is exactly the sort of thing that the likes of Brian Bell thrive on. This forum has revealed so many fakers over the years that it has become a target.

If they can get people to doubt the true knowledge here then they are free to peddle their filth openly.

Cheers
Don

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.
#84871 01/05/2006 01:41 PM
Who is this so called "know-it-all"?

martin

Dem Deutschen Volk
#84872 01/05/2006 02:32 PM
The original source of all this controversy was deleted to halt any continuing damage. I felt it was in the best interest of the forum, not to let this rant affect anymore members.
Hopefully we can resolve the effects of the personal attacks that were carelessly typed out in the thread and our long time friends will join us back with the business at hand; Helmet Collecting.
Larry,
Eric, Darryl, where are you? Smile

#84873 01/05/2006 03:06 PM
First of all I also see this as a sad day for the collecting community. A good forum like this one needs experts like Darryl, Ty, Cody and many others. Also a good forum needs novice collectors who can learn something. People who don’t appreciate the free knowledge and advices from other collectors are just stupid or have some bad intentions.

I don’t post many threads because of my low English writing skills but I do enjoy reading this forum.

So, please don’t leave the forum and let we all write about collecting and appreciate each others opinions.

Regards,

Ed Wolf

#84874 01/05/2006 03:46 PM
S
S
Hi I have the honor and privilage of being able to call Darryl a friend and a gentleman. Besides that, he has been my travelling companion to the SOS for the past couple of years now. The combined 80 plus hours of driving conversation was as valuable as any Max or SOS. Whenever people with knowlege and respect rise above the crowd they will suffer the slings and arrows of fools. When in the storm the tatters flutter the tired heap will desert, then the true spirit shows!!!! Darryl and Ty I hope you both remain in the same capacity as before. A diminished voice is no voice at all! I do understand your frustrations. I hope that the perpetrator and associates are banned. cheers and respect, Ryan Sellick

#84875 01/05/2006 03:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys,

I have been out of the loop for a while, just my thoughts.

I have been involved with this forum since the begining. There are some knowledgeable people here that only interest is the hobby. Most of these people openly give their opinions and truly are trying to help people.

Things get a little sideways when someone post a helmet asks for an opinion and do not hear what they want to hear. They take it personal and the the stuff starts to fly.

I can tell you I have agreed to disagree with my collector friends many times, we are still friends and still try to help each other out.

A couple things I try to remember, consider the source of the information and do not take it personal.

We had an individual who claimed he was an old experienced collect, but his posts told me one thing, he may have been collecting a long time but he was not experienced with original helmets.
He posts a letter from a noted collector with no name (did not take a genius to figure out who wrote the letter) the letter writer was exposed on this forum for selling fake SS helmets. Sour grapes....I would say so.

Goes back to my original point, consider the source of the information/post.

I think this is a great forum to help helmet collectors out. I personally have met some great people on this forum and learned a lot over the years

Don't get chased off by people who make comments that really have no merit.

No hidden agenda or inner circle just collectors trying to help each other out.

#84876 01/05/2006 04:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I am back and I hope the others like Ty and of course, Erik, whom we all know and respect greatly, will follow suit.

Please forgive my rash decision yesterday but I was in the midst of some other problems closer to home that I was also dealing with. Many thanks to all who emailed me privately and to those who expressed their thoughts here on the open forum. You have no idea (well, perhaps you do) how much it means to me. I am very humbled and to be honest, flattered. Thankyou everyone.

Matt...you are right. There is no sense becoming upset by those who have nothing constructive to offer or say. We certainly do not have any hidden agenda here at GDC. We are first and foremost, collectors and...we are all equals in my opinion. The only difference between us is that some of us have more "experience" than the others. That difference is something we hope to change as we go along and discuss our favourite subject...German helmets!

Cheers,

Darryl
#84877 01/05/2006 05:06 PM
S
S
Hi Darryl, good to see you back. You are wrong about the only difference amongst us. Ryan- 0 Allgemeine helmets, Darryl 14 or 15 or so, I have lost count. Sorry a bit of black envy on my pary, after all only human Big Grin Ty, Shu, Darryl you guys collectively have seen and handled more SS helmets among you than I have seen since collecting (1982) and attending countless Max and SoS shows. There is something to be said for experience, research and even ownership. cheers, Ryan

#84878 01/05/2006 05:08 PM
S
S
Just wanted to add. That I have never found any of your posts to be arrogant or condescending, just factual and informative.cheers

#84879 01/05/2006 05:08 PM
Great to hear you are back Darryl, "those people" would like nothing better than to see yourself and a few others leave here.

Cheers mate! Big Grin

Lenny...

www.milcol.net
#84880 01/05/2006 05:34 PM
And as you seem to have better resolutions for 2006 Darryl, please try to be intellectuallly logical enough to apply them on "the other side" too (the WAF) : it really makes me sorry to see you there like a silent ghost, I know that - like many of us - you appreciate these two forums much : they are the top two known to date.

A little word to the Big Fat Hog : it's often a good - and always a courageous - thing to say what has to be said. Wink

Chris
#84881 01/05/2006 05:47 PM
This thread has run its course and I will close it after I finish this.

As I said earlier, my apologies to Darryl, Ty, and any other of the helpful, respected and experienced members of this Forum were slighted in this post and the one that was deleted. I will probably remove this one in a day or two after everyone has seen it.

Sincerely,
Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,590 SS Bayonets
1,760,329 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,788 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Gaspare - 03/29/2024 02:45 AM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,709
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
3 members (polop, Sasha, bushido), 575 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod