Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
A very bizarre story from the jungles of New Guinea..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7595869.stm

Got my curiosity piqued! I can't see the rigging lasting this long, but what do I know? Confused

Online Content
Here is the story:

A team of Australian investigators is preparing an expedition to the arduous Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea, after a hiker spotted what is believed to be the body of a World War II airman hanging from a tree.

History is alive on the densely forested slopes north of Port Moresby, the Papua New Guinea capital.

The hillsides around what is known as the Kokoda Trail are littered with rusting guns, grenades and mortars - reminders of the strategically crucial battles that raged there in 1942 and 1943.

Hundreds of Australians lost their lives fighting off an invading Japanese force that probably planned to use Port Moresby as a bridgehead for an assault on the Australian mainland. Japanese losses were several times heavier.

David Collins, who leads treks along the Kokoda Trail, is used to imagining how the stench of death, sickness and starvation once hung heavy in the air in what is now a verdant and peaceful landscape.

But he little imagined that he would one day be confronted with what is probably the corpse of one of the many fighters who lost their lives.

'The wind caught it'

Mr Collins was leading an expedition of 19 assorted off-duty police officers, businessmen and photographers along the Trail - thought to be some of the most rugged hiking terrain in the world.

If it had been me, I would never have discovered the body, but when it started swinging back and forth, you could see the shape of it

The discovery was made on 28 August, by one of the members of the expedition - a man who has requested to be referred to only as John.

"John stopped to take a photo of the canopy, and saw something that didn't seem quite right through his viewfinder. He watched it for a little bit longer and the wind blew, and caught it, sending it spinning, and it seemed to be a body."

There was an immediate sense that an exciting discovery had been made, Mr Collins said, and other members of the expedition team were called back to take a look for themselves.

That it was a body was not immediately apparent, Mr Collins said.

"I'll be honest, I couldn't even see it at first, because it was quite high up in the canopy, about 12-15 metres [40-50 feet] up," he said.

"But once again the wind blew, and it started spinning and dangling. That was when you could make out the shape of a body. But it was covered in moss, and if it had been me, I would never have discovered it, even looking straight at it, but when it started swinging back and forth, you could see the shape of it.

"And when it swung backwards it had around it what looked like a sort of aluminium frame or harness, and it appeared to be caught in a cable in the tree."

The assumption at this point, said Mr Collins, is that the body - if it is a body - is that of an airman who was wearing some kind of parachute harness at the time of his death.

One expedition member even thought he could make out a moss-covered pair of flying goggles around the corpse's neck.

If the find is confirmed, one key question will be how the body survived decades hanging in the tree.

The extreme elevation of the forest in which the body was found - about 2,200m (7,220 feet) above sea could have helped to preserve the body.

Moss would then have grown over it, preserving its shape.

Another mystery is the nationality of the airman - whether he was from Japan, Australia or the United States, which also had forces in the area. Fighters from all sides remain unaccounted for.

The Australian Defence Department is sending a team to the isolated spot, along with a group of Papua New Guinean expedition porters, to try to recover the apparent remains in the coming days.

Online Content
I think that Allied parachutes were nylon, which might account for longevity. Or maybe they were Silk ?

Dave

Here is the picture.

airman.jpg (80.73 KB, 153 downloads)

WANTED TO REPURCHASE!! Walther pistol Model PP - ac code - Ser. No. 382000P - REWARD FOR INFO ABOUT THIS PISTOL!!
OP Offline
It's interesting, because a body on the ground is gone in a matter of hours, not years..

Wonder if it is of more modern vintage? drug smuggler? gun runner?

OP Offline
Well that is certainly anti climactic

(sorta like my brother's ex wife..bada-boom, i'm here all week folks!)

I guess this goes to show you that given enough time and imagination, your mind can see anything in an object it wants to see, for eg: cloud watching

But, a harness? goggles?

*SIGH*...First no Bigfoot, now this. Let's hope the Zodiac killer story pans out. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,472 SS Bayonets
1,760,278 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,745 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (AntonGrabbe, Seppi, Dave, AndyRose, Documentalist, Tanker, Nietzsche), 458 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod