Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Malta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
HI Guys,

I was wondering if you could do me a favour,and new collectors like me, Could it be possible if you could do some kind of a C.D that may be sold here, about your collections and knowledge, and about tips on how to presserve,clean,buy,and sell off,ecc ecc, because there are a lot of snakes out there,that know what they are selling, and with the excuse that they do not know nothing about this Knife or edged weapon,sell it of as real.
You would say to yoursell, this is why we have a Forum,you are right,but by putting your experiances on film one might go back, and find a tip that would tip the ballance in someone favour in buying or not buying. Some one come up to me and wanted to sell me a RAD,well the price was right, and I was in heaven, but as I am not expirened in this field, I wanted to ask questions, but he cut me short and he said ,that he has another buyer and that I should decide now,I convinced him,10 beers later, to hold on to it for me for about a week,
I come on your forum, posted the pics that I took and immediatly someone told me that it was 100%junk,thank God,because 500 Euros is a lot of money for a fake. This is why I think that a film of somekind is needed to enlighten us about these German era edged weapons. I hope that I did not bore you and you understand what I mean.

I too think its a good idea!

If the case would be so simple, do a CD and all interested parties do "know IT" we would not need decades of learning, experience, mistakes and would not need this forum with any also sometimes controversial discussion over pages....
Start with reference books, study forums, do visit shows, listen to experienced collectors (as we all did AND DO) and after decades of collecting try to do such a CD yourself.
I dare to question if you will succeed (concerning the CD).
Just my personal thoughts on that matter.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
M
Malta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Dear Wotan, if it is as you say, puting ones experiances on CD, will amount to such a Controversial,idea just scrap the thought, no problem,I wonder,if one studies all his life and puts his thoughts on paper or on film like an Archologist, will he fell that he is robbed of something?.
Are you a dealer??? my prime hobby is collecting toy soldiers,I collect Britains and they are getting quite rare,I have been collecting for the past 20 years, so I think that I know something about them,I have been proven wrong,so what,that is how I learn, I say this because,sometimes I encounter people that have the knowledge about there hobby but still want to SHAFT you, by keeping important points hiden not from people like me but from beginners,and then when the beginner finds out that he has been SHAFTED, he will terminate his new hobby there and then,by doing so, honest Dealers get SHAFTED to.

Now as for doing a C.D,I have done short clips with my Digital camera,and sent them to the buyer before, he decided to buy ,this is called marketing your product,If you are 100% legit,and point out everything before you sell,you are honest as can be.
And as for doing a C.D about this hobby,come on my friend, how can I if I am just a beginner,as I live in Europe, there are some chances that I might encounter something that might even interest you, Like Daggers of any kind, why not,But as I do not have any experiance,I do not know what to look for, that is why I suggested this C.D,even another member liked the idea.
Just my own personal thoughts.
Regards as ever maltag.c

Edited for adult language

Hello, Malta,

Please take a minute to read the code of conduct and note the bits about adult language or jokes.

I collect Britains too, see below, but lead soldiers are not as complex as daggers and I think Wotan is right.

Even then, I did not learn about toy soldiers from a CD. I bought the books like The Great Book of Britains and several others. I handled the real stuff, went to shows, etc.

Dave

DSC00054.jpg (30.65 KB, 119 downloads)
M
Malta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello Dave,

I am sorry to point out, but I think that you are missing the point here,If one puts his thoughts,knowledge + his collectables,and shows them of for all to see, is that wrong? even doing so he is surely sure that,even down the line,even in the
Future,his thoughts will last for a long time and will help others mabe decide if this is a line to continue with.
As for britains I see that you have a nice set there of Medieval knights,I realy like the Standard Bearar with the saint george Flag, But I am Amazed that you said that that they are not as Complex, try to compare Fakes? in this field,Daggers are larger these are just 54 mm some times you have to even check them with a magnifying Glass,I have a lot of books like the one you said by James opie,But on a book they are static, this is my point.

Paul

2008_06300002.JPG (34.29 KB, 114 downloads)
M
Malta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Dave,

2008_06300005.JPG (22.23 KB, 112 downloads)
Malta, for what its worth,,I agree with you,,and I was reading a thread here on GDC,someone suggested actually making a book,,but since we, or at least not I,,am not in the good ole boys club here,,any idea we have like this get immediately dismissed,,

The CD would not take the place of shows, forums or anything,,,its just another media to learn with,,,,isnt that what we are here for??? Sometimes I wonder.....

Paul

My point is that whether how complicated or simple the antiques may be, there is no substitute for handling the real thing. Britains Knights of Agincourt are easy for me as most of what I posted were purchased by me in the early 1950's. The standard bearer cost 7/6 of my pocket money.

You being a resident of Malta could pose enormous problems about going to militaria shows and handling the goods yourself. If we can be of any help in helping you, speak up.

Dave

M
Malta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Dave, Smile

You have summoned my thoughts in two lines, I couldnt have done better my self.
Its an enourmes problem for me to have such a war related hobby, why? I will tell you, As you say Malta is small,it was even Bombed during the war, by the Germans, so a lot of old folk are still around,and remember those dark days,and I am telling you, they fell disgusted, by my Hobby, they tell me that I do not have any respect for those who have died for our democracy during the war. What do I say to them ?and not hurt there fellings?

I think that you know what I mean,,as most of the Daggers that where brougt back to America where brought back by soldiers who fought the Germans, so some old guy, must have realy gave an ear full to you guys. Traveling is very expensive, as we are cut of from Europe,as you say, so handling goods is unheard of. That is why I have joined your Forum to gain some knowlede.

Thanks Niblet for your Support,well said,I have just instaled a new Chanel that is called the War Channel,on my T.V,I must tell you that these documentarys are much more better then reading books.

Online Content
Hello Malta,

I think your suggestion is valid: the hobby is moving from the fairs to the Internet and probably the reference books will evolve to new media like video cd's, dvd's and other on-line media.

Personaly I prefer the "old" way of aquiring collectibles: treasure hunting on fairs!

Being located in Malta you could maybe attend some major European shows like Stuttgard or K�ssel by integrating the visit into a weekend trip or holiday.

Best greetings,

Herman

PS: sorry for the late reply, I was on holiday.

You never have enough HJ-knifes!
M
Malta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi there all,

Thanks Hermann,I do think that this is the way foward, when you touch and fell the real thing you gather a lot of knowledge, but in my case I can not do this, as a lot of my Country man are not interested in this kind of hobby.
For those who are not convinced that this is the way foward, I have found very interesting Clips of German daggers ang German militaria as hobbyists are using this kind of media to show off there Ware,Go to www.utube.com and just write German daggers and you will see what I mean.

I was very surprised with the level of collecting of German militaria, and if you want to buy A deccent dagger at a deccent price I recomend this site www.ioffer.com.
I hope I am not breaking any rules by advertising these site.

I hope that you had a wonderfull holiday Hermann.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,936 SS Bayonets
1,764,856 Teno Insignia Set
1,134,231 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Can you determine authenticity of SS dagger?
by AnatoliyD - 05/17/2024 04:22 PM
SS dagger KM7/91
by zwoerf - 05/17/2024 06:56 AM
My first bayonet
by Cameron - 05/16/2024 03:33 PM
How do flotation tubs differ from traditional bathtubs?
by Aquant Seo - 05/16/2024 11:25 AM
Odd Manufacture ring
by Gaspare - 05/15/2024 11:28 PM
Latest New Posts
More stuff..
by Cameron - 05/18/2024 12:26 PM
SS dagger KM7/91
by zwoerf - 05/18/2024 08:42 AM
Can you determine authenticity of SS dagger?
by kreta1961 - 05/18/2024 05:47 AM
RLB Dress Bayonet ?
by Brews custom awa - 05/18/2024 04:26 AM
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by Billy G. - 05/18/2024 01:41 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,685
Posts329,259
Members7,537
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Cameron, Gaspare, sherlock, ed773, Stephen, Documentalist, kreta1961), 99 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod