Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
a

92049e60a.JPG (30.87 KB, 86 downloads)
E
OP Offline
E
Hi, I know it has something to do with the German Imperial Navy but I do not know what it was for.

92049_1e60a.JPG (20.82 KB, 84 downloads)
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks a lot.

Regards

Edgar

Hello Edgar,

It's a lovely pin to be sure - but I'm not so sure it's actually from a naval verein
or club..? I think it's easy to assume that and I did the same thing myself the first time I saw this exact little gem...

Some years ago I built a display case for a gentleman from Texas who had one of those incredible "extra" Marine Offizier daggers.
We needed something nice to use in the display and found and chose the exact same pin as you've posted. It looks fabulous with the dagger, but I'm not convinced it is altogether navy.

The Hüsken book pictures a similar example sans oak leaves and qualifies it as a Freikorps pin, from the Heydebreck Selbstschutz Bataillon. I'm more inclined to agree with this as I've also gathered several other imperial navy veterans pins and badges and almost all of those include some kind of anchor motif. This has given me reason for pause and is why I'm passing this info on to you.

I hope there may be some of you fellas who may have more insight into this and look forward to hearing some other opinions. Whatever the case may be Edgar, it's a great pin you have there and thanks for posting it here on the forum.

Best regards!

W.Warda Jr.

Walnut6sm.jpg (78.41 KB, 70 downloads)
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks a lot Warda.

Someone has the badge on hold for me. I love things from the German Navies that is why I wanted (or want), to buy this badge. What you say about it that it may not being from the navy makes me think twice if I should get it or not; on the other hand what you say that it is a beatiful badge is also true..mmmm what to do?

Well, I think I just need a dagger like the one you posted (thanks a lot for that), to be happy, hehehe... that is my dream.

What could be the price for a badge like the one I posted? Shaould I take it?

Regards

Edgar

E
OP Offline
E
quote:
Originally posted by WWII:
Hello Edgar,

It's a lovely pin to be sure - but I'm not so sure it's actually from a naval verein
or club..? I think it's easy to assume that and I did the same thing myself the first time I saw this exact little gem...

Some years ago I built a display case for a gentleman from Texas who had one of those incredible "extra" Marine Offizier daggers.
We needed something nice to use in the display and found and chose the exact same pin as you've posted. It looks fabulous with the dagger, but I'm not convinced it is altogether navy.

The Hüsken book pictures a similar example sans oak leaves and qualifies it as a Freikorps pin, from the Heydebreck Selbstschutz Bataillon. I'm more inclined to agree with this as I've also gathered several other imperial navy veterans pins and badges and ALMOST ALL OF THOSE INCLUDE SOME KIND OF ANCHOR MOTIF. [my capitals] This has given me reason for pause and is why I'm passing this info on to you.

I hope there may be some of you fellas who may have more insight into this and look forward to hearing some other opinions. Whatever the case may be Edgar, it's a great pin you have there and thanks for posting it here on the forum.

Best regards!

W.Warda Jr.

Hello Warda!

I read your post again and I wondering about the paraghraph I put in capital letters. Could this pin be one of THOSE naval pins or badges that do not include an anchor motif? (as you wrote "almost" and not "all.") What do you think?

I am still trying to decide what to do. (to buy or not to buy). Any idea of the price?

Best regards

Edgar

Edgar,

I believe the cost of the pin was around $150
or so, somewhere in that range. Yes, it very well could be directly associated to a naval organization of some kind, I just wanted to give you some food for thought.

I think that if you like the pin and the price is fair, go for it. Smile

Best!

Bill

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for your comments they were of great help for me. Thanks. Well, I think I will go for it Smile

Edgar

PS: Oh,yes, I thanks again for that beatiful pictures of the pin and that great dagger!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,874 SS Bayonets
1,762,163 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,138 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/18/2024 08:33 PM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Overslept a development???
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 04/18/2024 01:13 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,035
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (ed773, Nietzsche, ollar, Slash Theme, Vern, Honestmike, Documentalist, Evgeniy), 611 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod