Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
#6648 05/01/2010 09:31 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Mikee,

That's a nice Elfenbein postcard, though, it might be hard to use as a writing surface .. Big Grin

Dean,

Another outstanding set of graphics, such a wide variety of subject matter. My favorite in this group is "Für deutsches Land das deutsche Schwert." - "For German land the German sword."

Yes, the "DR" flanking the shield stands for Deutsches Reich, the German empire.

That's some hanging device the old boy has there, I've never seen one like it in the accoutrements forum..? Big Grin

Thanks to both of you for keeping the thread alive and well. Smile

Best!

Bill

heinrichwadere.jpg (80.93 KB, 204 downloads)
#6649 05/07/2010 01:48 AM
D
D
Nice Munich postcard Bill.Do you know if it's a monument or a smaller desk type statue?I like the stance the artist used.

Here's another Munich card.
On the back in small letters:
O.Z.M. 1906. Ottmar Zieher, Munchen
Looked painted to me.Any thoughts if it is?

FHH.jpg (19.91 KB, 184 downloads)
#6650 05/07/2010 07:54 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

I'm fairly certain the bronze was strictly a desk ornament, great detail to this one.

That is a very powerful view of the Feldherrnhalle, I hope Erich gets to see this one, it's a beauty!

Methinks the graphic is photographic in nature, possibly a darker, sepia-tone type of process? The images and perspective look perfect and the heavy "curtain-rod" (?) structure was left in the image, something most artists might have normally left out in a drawing or painting due to aesthetics, no?

You might be able to have that card enlarged just a bit, which would make for an outstanding bit of artwork to hang in the collecting room.

Best!

Bill

#6651 05/07/2010 06:00 PM
D
D
Hi Bill-

Got to agree with you on the nice detailing of the bronze.
Have you ever seen one of these in person?
I never have.Would definately bring a great look to any desk.Thanks for sharing it.

I was undecided if the F.H.H. card should be included in your thread because it's somewhat photograhic look but the painted appearance of the ground,building's roof to the right has a very unrealistic look to it,and lack of detail on the stonework had me fooled.

The pole like hanger and realistic proportions caught my eye too and had me puzzled thinking this artist was a real master or there was something I was missing here.

If it is a photo please don't hesitate to scrap, as it isn't true graphic art and off base from the original intention of the thread.

I really was just unsure and appreciate your clearing this up.
So it's a photo that has been enhanced,right?

Anyhow I have another Munchen card on the way that I know is painted and I'll post in it's place soon.

Thanks for the info.

#6652 05/07/2010 11:52 PM
D
D
Munich card.
Marked on back:
Munchener Kunstlerkarte. No8.
Profeffer P(?).F. Messerschmitt
"Deutsche hiebe"

Both postmarks are faded and hard to read and the correspondence is minus a date so I'm not too sure on the year.

fight.jpg (29.39 KB, 158 downloads)
#6653 05/08/2010 04:30 AM
Online Content
Bill,
I agree with Dean, nice post card, it would be nice to find the actual bronze statue, the detail is really something. Thanks for showing that one Bill.

Dean,
I truly love anything with a battle scene either on land or sea it doesn't matter, but on horseback even better. I have a few litho's of French sea battles which I enjoy and a battle scene on horseback in oil. I'm sorry I said earlier that I didn't have anything to post because I went digging and actually found a few but I think only one fits this topic and it's a battle scene as well. Thanks.

Post-Card-2.jpg (105.95 KB, 144 downloads)
#6654 05/08/2010 05:53 AM
D
D
Quite the action scene you got there Mikee.
My favorite part is those horses in the background jumping into the crowded battle feild with their rider's swords drawn.
I guess the dude getting shot point blank in the gut while he tries to smash his opponents head with his rifle really stands out too.
Your art makes me think how much warfare has evolved in 100 years.

#6655 05/08/2010 08:26 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Those two Bavarian lions aren't going anywhere ... Wink

I've never seen one of those grenadier bronzes other than the one on the postcard, love one for my desk, too.

The two slashing horsemen is a fabulous illustration, something right out of N.C. Wyeth's bold and colorful style. The two animals are great studies, there's actual fear and excitement conveyed in those eyes - it doesn't get much better than that.

If you check the title again, I believe you'll read, "Deutsche Heide," or "German Heath."

Mikee, do you remember those collector cards from way back in the 60's, on the American Civil War? They were only out for a very short while, maybe because they were very bloody and graphic in nature? heh ... maybe parents got freaked out and made a fuss? Anyway, this illustration reminds me of those, tons of action. "The capture of the first French battle flag .."

Great stuff gents, thanks!

W~

#6656 05/08/2010 07:23 PM
Thanks for giving me a heads up on this great thread Bill! Dean, that's a nice shot of the FHH and one that I've never seen before. What is the bronze monument that you mentioned? The Mahnmal to the Putsch fallen?

#6657 05/08/2010 07:56 PM
D
D
Hi Erich,
Thanks for the compliment on the postcard.
The bronze I was refering wasn't pertaining to the FHH but it's on the Heinrich Wadere card pictured on Bill's May 1st post.

#6658 05/08/2010 10:34 PM
Got it, thanks. The artwork of these cards are second to none. Great collections all!

#6659 05/11/2010 02:18 AM
D
D
Happy to have this one to relate it to a 1923-36 Niederoesterreich posie album I've been looking into.

Seller stated card was circa 1910 but unfortunately no postmarks or correspondence.

Any takes,interpretations,or knowledge in general of the picture or what was going on in that area during these times is appreciated.

Thanks.

bund.jpg (26.49 KB, 296 downloads)
#6660 05/11/2010 08:57 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

In a nutshell, I believe the "Bund der Deutschen in Niederösterreich" card depicts the fight of the German School Association, Deutscher Schulverein (DSchV) and was the name of a so-called "protection-league" for Germans, in all the Habsburg king's lands throughtout the greater Austrian Empire. Their battle was to protect and preserve the German language, culture, history and traditions within the sphere of German-speaking, territorial educational systems.

Their catchword was -

"And it will be by the German Spirit
that the world shall be healed ... "

The card could have been printed slightly after 1880 and into the First World War, I'd assume?

Amazing to see the heroic-looking characters they chose to represent themselves and their individual plights, heh ... one gets the feel of old Teutonic warriors, and then eventually on into the twenties, they came to be represented by the brown-shirted SA warriors.

Best!

B~

#6661 05/22/2010 09:03 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Gents,

No explanation needed here, just some good clean fun!

Painted by Heinrich Schlitt, the famous Mettlach master-artist.

Then, something quite a bit darker ... dated August 4th, 1914 - "Parliament of War Unanimous to Conscript Five Millions.." come take your medicine, boys! A terrible waste of souls, however, nice eagle ... Wink Big Grin

Bill

schlittsm.jpg (65.48 KB, 281 downloads)
#6662 05/22/2010 09:04 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
2/2

eagle.jpg (58.8 KB, 280 downloads)
#6663 05/22/2010 06:03 PM
D
D
Nice WWII.
I love these painted cards the farther out there the better IMO.
Beautifully done and looks like it would have worked very well in our hippy era all those years later.

The 2nd card is great also.
Nothing beats the patriotic look of a well done eagle clutching a sword.One of the better eagles I have seen in a while.
What a great propaganda symbol.
Any clue on who the artist was on it?I can't see a signature or any initials.

On the subject of far out cards, this is my contribution.Check out Satan's feet.Is this textbook?
Is Germany's Brocken kind of the equivalent to the USA's Salem?
Back of card has a witch type symbol and marked Brocken Hotel.

witch_pc.jpg (63.71 KB, 272 downloads)
#6664 05/23/2010 07:51 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Not sure who's responsible for the nice eagle -
I wouldn't mind having one carved like that, or cast in bronze ... Smile

It's been a while since I read Goethe's "Faust,"
but that was the first time I ever heard of Walpurgisnacht. I do remember that some of the demons and spectres that were shown to Faust by the devil were especially frightening...

In Germany, Walpurgisnacht, the night from April 30 to May 1, is the night when witches are reputed to hold a large celebration on the Blocksberg and await the arrival of spring.

Walpurgis Night (in German folklore) the night of April 30 (May Day's eve), "when witches meet on the Brocken mountain and hold revels with their gods..."

Brocken is the highest of the Harz Mountains of north central Germany. It is noted for the phenomenon of the Brocken spectre and for witches' revels which reputedly took place there on Walpurgis night.

The Brocken Spectre is a magnified shadow of an observer, typically surrounded by rainbow-like bands, thrown onto a bank of cloud in high mountain areas when the sun is low. The phenomenon was first reported on the Brocken.

A scene in Goethe's Faust Part One is called "Walpurgisnacht", and one in Faust Part Two is called "Classical Walpurgisnacht". The last chapter of book five in Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain is also called "Walpurgisnacht".

In some parts of northern coastal regions of Germany, the custom of lighting huge fires is still kept alive to celebrate the coming of May, while most parts of Germany have a derived Christianized custom around Easter called "Easter fires".

In rural parts of southern Germany, it is part of popular youth culture to play pranks such as tampering with neighbours' gardens, hiding possessions, or spraying graffiti on private property. These pranks occasionally result in serious damage to property or bodily injury.

In Berlin, traditional leftist May Day riots usually start at Walpurgis Night in the Mauerpark in Prenzlauer Berg. There is a similar tradition in the Schanzenviertel district of Hamburg, though in both cases, the situation has significantly calmed down in the past few years.

Adolf Hitler, with several members of his staff (including Joseph Goebbels), committed suicide on Walpurgisnacht, April 30 – May 1, 1945.

Another feather in your cap Dean, a great cultural, history lesson - sweet!

W~

schlitt2.jpg (74.16 KB, 254 downloads)
#6665 05/23/2010 06:52 PM
Online Content
Bill,
Really enjoy the Dwarfs with such brilliant color. Thanks for showing them,I think I saw a book with a lot of these in it.

Dean,
Just an addition to what Bill has mentioned. That is a earlier picture of the Brocken transmitter and hotel which is located at the summit of the Brocken also known as the Blocksberg. Has some very interesting history in itself and was used by the Stasi to spy on West Germany's communications. Believe me, witches night is great fun celebrated every year there. Pagan religion and rituals which christianity tried to stamp out with St. Walpurgis feast day celebrated on 1 May hence the association. Very interesting history indeed. Witches dancing around fires with the devil while he chooses the best looking witches for unholy marriage (making whoopy) in exchange for powers is all part of this pagan folklore as seen on your postcard. This must be the reason for the term" lucky devil". Big Grin My kids love Bibi Blocksberg, Hex Hex.

#6666 05/23/2010 11:49 PM
D
D
Another great looking gnome Bill.
Looks fun and a bit on the scary side too.Like you hope he's freindly and not givin you the stink eye.
The way the artist used the colors for the bubbles and his imagination to create this type of idea is impressive.
Are these illustrations from a fairy tales type book.If so I don't understand how any of the children brought up with these bedtime stories slept a wink.

Thanks for the info on the Brocken card guys.
Kind of erie how the date is around Hitler's suicide and makes you think twice about occultism in Hitler's Reich.
Seems to me there are many coincidences like this in dates and events concerning this subject to the point where it's hard to shrug it off as just chance.

Just one more case and point is the famous Von Stuck painting Die Wilde Jagd done in the year of Hitler's birth by one of his favorite artist and bearing a striking resemblance to a future Geman leader before there was any cocept of what Hitler would look like as an adult.
Crazy stuff for sure.

Picture borrowed from the www.

resize.jpg (26 KB, 242 downloads)
#6667 05/24/2010 08:06 PM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Mikee,

Can't thank you enough for always adding your insight and knowledge to so many of these excellent posts by Dean - gracias amigo! Wink

Dean - No doubt about it, there's a feeling of mysticism going on there, this graphic looks like something right out of Faust's demonic visions.

I wonder if Hitler ever noticed this likeness of himself in the painting? It does bear a striking resemblance to the old boy.

I hope some day you'll find an original piece of artwork for one of your cards, that would make for some incredible display!

Best regards!

Bill

#6668 06/01/2010 11:53 PM
D
D
quote:
Originally posted by WWII:
I wonder if Hitler ever noticed this likeness of himself in the painting? It does bear a striking resemblance to the old boy.
Bill

Intresting question, wish I knew the answer.
Amazing how there are so many unanswered questions to an era where there are still living witnesses.

I was wondering if there are any comments for this card that I just got in the mail.
Looks like the artist signed the bottom left corner but it's tough to make out.

Just thought it looked pretty cool and would like to learn more about it if possible.

Thanks

stolz.jpg (37.54 KB, 226 downloads)
#6669 06/02/2010 07:50 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

A patriotic poem titled, "Be Proud." That's about all my old peepers could make out .. Big Grin

I'm not 100% certain, could that be a tired-looking Germania holding the sword? Maybe the text will give us a clue? I'm very curious about the bizarre faces in the background ... a strange crew. Possibly the world-stage?

Great design on that shield.

Best!

Bill

#6670 06/04/2010 04:11 AM
D
D
I was thinking maybe Germania also but that type of helmet and dark black hair was throwing it off.
Good guess on the faces coming out of the fire and smoke representing the world stage.

I thought the sheild and big sword with the chiseled arm holding it were well done.
Thanks for your input Bill.

One more card to show that is dated 12/22/07.
Check out this guys persuader stick.

Any guesses on if the lion is part of a real monument or was it something the artist made up?

merc.jpg (39.54 KB, 199 downloads)
#6671 06/04/2010 04:31 AM
...here a war bond drive card out of my collection and a card wirh a machine gunner crew in a specific graphic style, a little bit "Art deco"?

Kolibri

Kriegsanleihe.JPG (83.42 KB, 196 downloads)
#6672 06/04/2010 04:32 AM
..here are the gunners...

MG-Schuetzen.jpg (97.58 KB, 194 downloads)
#6673 06/04/2010 04:45 AM
D
D
The artist did one heck of a job on this soldier' eyes in picture #1.Nice

#6674 06/05/2010 05:43 AM
D
D
A 1920's 7x5 exlibris described as being on handmade paper (???).
I thought it seemed to have some type of message conveyed going with it although I'm not exactly sure what that is yet.
Just the look on the young and old ladies faces impressed me in addition to what I feel is good art.

A search result came up for a artist Karl Ritter (not sure it's the one who did this) born in Wurzburg Germany and served as a WWI pilot who later became a NSDAP member and also worked in the German film industry.

Any thoughts,opinions, or interpretations regarding it's meaning (if there is one) are welcome.

Thanks

Beeth1.jpg (30.64 KB, 186 downloads)
#6675 06/05/2010 05:45 AM
D
D
Close up- Beethoven???

Beeth2.jpg (33.11 KB, 185 downloads)
#6676 06/07/2010 07:59 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Another fine, colorful graphic image - love that "meat-tenderizer" the fellow is carrying. Yes, I believe that's the correct Bavarian lion depicted in the painting, though, there are many different variations that would also be considered correct state emblems. Der Deutsche Schulverein Südmark was another organization that promoted the German language and culture throughout the Austro-Hungarian Empire starting around 1880. This must have been an important issue during the years before the First World War and it seems this would be related to the card you posted earlier at the top of this page, "Bund der Deutschen in Niederösterreich."

Kolibri,

Thanks for adding the cards from your collection, both are very good examples from the "Kaiserzeit."

I especially like the first rendering of the German front-soldier, it's quite a striking image that illustrates this war-bond messege, "Help us to Victory..."

This is a very well executed drawing. The bold flat-colors really bring this man to life - the details to his battle-kit and the shadow-areas under the helmet are very natural and realistic. The highlights in his eyes and his stare tell the story ... "it's them or us..." The way the soldier is framed by wood and barbed-wire is quite clever and the splinter-effect of the border seems to further carry that feeling of sharp wire, too.

Thanks to both of you for the good graphics ...

Best!

Bill

Ps Dean just saw your latest post, sorry for falling behind but I've been swamped over here ... getting ready to visit my mates in Germany and several million other things ... Big Grin

#6677 06/07/2010 02:15 PM
D
D
Have a great time on your trip Bill and no need for thinking your behind.The pictures will be here when you have some extra leisure time.

#6678 06/12/2010 11:45 AM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

Thanks!

I think many times bookplates relate and reflact the owner's private tastes and interests, no? That could definitely be Herr Beethoven up there in the clouds but I can't figure out what the old woman is giving/receiving from the younger woman?

Here's a very nice French, anti-Kaiser image having poor-old Kaiser Billy portrayed as a stag-beetle specimen pinned with a French-model bayonet. Superb propaganda, mon dieu! Wink

Best!

B~

kaisercardsm.jpg (65.57 KB, 224 downloads)
#6679 06/17/2010 09:10 PM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Another nice one by Schlitt.

Best!

B~

schlitt4sm.jpg (96.52 KB, 217 downloads)
#6680 06/18/2010 08:00 AM
D
D
Crazy Schlitt card Bill.
I like the way the artist paid extra attention to the background details.This guy had quite an imagination.
Thanks for keeping this thread going.

Here's some art that has this printed on back:
Verlag des Verreines Sudmark
(Gegrundet 1889) Graz Joanneum=Ring 11

On the front bottom is
Hars(?)Kaufmann. Ruhpoudirg.

I thought it was a nice naturalism card.
Looks to me like she has a crow for a pet.

naturalism.jpg (31.18 KB, 210 downloads)
Lots of great images in this thread.

I decided to move the post I made originally to the Imperial Allach thread, since this therad is more about two-dimensional art than sculpture.

T.

Last edited by Tiberius; 07/02/2010 06:10 AM.
D
D
22/8/30 postcard

D
D
Do photo's still have to be resized?Says file is too large.

valhalla.jpg (28.04 KB, 185 downloads)
D
D
Card is on some type of artist grade stock.Dated 16/2/18

knight pc front.jpg (37.27 KB, 184 downloads)
D
D
Back of card has sweet script.Artwork in my eyes.

knight pc back.jpg (36.48 KB, 182 downloads)
Last edited by Dean Perdue; 07/03/2010 06:17 AM.
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Dean,

I'm simply amazed at how you continually "outdo" yourself with each new addition to the thread! It's a sophisticated illustrated history of the German people, (geschichte) portrayed by some of the best illustrators that the country had to offer. Wars, battles, literature and poetry, political movements and timely issues, all brought to life through artistic interpretation - brilliant! There are just so many details to be gleaned from each card, some themes easily recognizable while others are ripe with subtle nuance and cultural symbolism.

You know, we're quite lucky to see some of the fine collections that our friends share here in the forums, like this one. Rare medals, uniforms, beautiful edged weapons,
deluxe firearms, fine art and still further ... not too long ago it'd take a lifetime of trooping off to gunshows and auctions to see this many good, solid collectibles that we regularly get to enjoy right here, courtesy of our unselfish mates who continually add to our knowledge and personal enjoyment.

A sincere thanks to all those in our ranks who regularly contribute, thereby constantly adding new aspects to the many fascinating areas of collecting in this great hobby.

Best regards,

Bill Warda

D
D
I'm unsure if this 1917 posted card is even German or really what it's about.
Being that the adress was to Berchtesgaden and the writing appeared to be German I thought it was intresting.I thought the wolf like dog,flames,and the crest were cool too.
Also any idea on why it is stamped on back in english K.k.Alpines Detatchement No.4?
Thanks for any help.

kk alpine.jpg (29.28 KB, 159 downloads)
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,513 SS Bayonets
1,760,289 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
16 members (Tanker, JonathanC, Baz69, Landser, Billy G., Documentalist, AndyRose, Duzig, atis, Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN, Mikee, Stephen, benten), 560 guests, and 93 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod