Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hey guys,
I finally was able to obtain this bayonet after a few years.
the blade is 15"
overall, 19, 3/4"
there is no maker mark on blade, but underneath the grips, it appears to be ground a bit, and there is what looks like three #1s stamped into hilt. I am using my daughters camera, so I am in newbie mode making sure the pics are not too large. after I see how this pic posts, I will take pics of the stamps under wood grips.
one thing that jumps out at me is the fact that the blade edge is very thick, it is not sharpened? would this make it some sort of parade bayo?
anyways, lets try this, if this pic is too large, please resize, please, and thank you!
I have not decided if I am going to keep it, or sell it, so any info would be great. (lol, I sound like the folks that come to website to get a quote, never to be seen again!)

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
hi paul,,,you have a type 30 bayonet,with the contoured grips,hooked quillion or crossguard,,,this is an earlier style of bayonet,,,the frog on the scabbard appears to me to be of the later war variety,rubberized canvas,altho in fact it may be leather,i cant really tell from the pics,,,the serial numbers are usually on the metal spine of the topside of the grip area,,,nice find,,robert Smile

OP Offline
Thank you Robert,
I can 100% assure you that the frog is leather, and it is a thick one. I will try to post a pic of the eyelets (on the grip) that are oval, instead of square, or round. now that I know the pics are ok, I am going to put up some better ones. I had a feeling the bayo was early, but I had based that on no arsenal markings.
give me a few, and I will have other pics.
also, the blood well has traces of lines within the well.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
Scabbard looks like rubberized canvas to me too.
The leather ones were usually darker.

JERRY
GDC GOLD #0213

www.militarycollectorsHQ.com
Paul, this is definately a training bayonet. There seem to be endless minor variations of these things but all are unsharpened. If you will be attending the SoS, look me up at my table. I will have a few interesting training bayonets for sale. Last month, I sold 31 Japanese bayonets to one collector and these are all that's left (Japanese, that is).
Nice catch!

WANTED TO REPURCHASE!! Walther pistol Model PP - ac code - Ser. No. 382000P - REWARD FOR INFO ABOUT THIS PISTOL!!
J
J
Yes that's a training bayonet. The frog is likely worth more than the bayonet! You can spot a trainer by 1) poor, crude quality of finish 2) blood groove sometimes does not extend as far as standard bayonet 3) No arsenal marks on blade 4)sometimes a 1-3 digit number on pommel end 5)black paint on scabbard. Straight cross guard training bayonets are harder to find.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,392 SS Bayonets
1,764,435 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,167 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Latest New Posts
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Evgeniy - 05/10/2024 08:02 AM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Tanker - 05/09/2024 11:49 PM
Period Dies
by Ric Ferrari - 05/09/2024 10:02 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/09/2024 09:20 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,695
Posts329,190
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Evgeniy, jean, BretVanSant, Stephen, Documentalist, Baz69), 567 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod