Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
I believe I have a rare dagger that my father brought back from Germany.

OOOhh! Goody. Are you going to show it or let us guess? Confused

If you want to criticise someone first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when they come after you, you'll be a mile ahead and they'll be barefoot.
S
S
Welcome to the forum jryesmar. Smile

-serge-

I
I
Guess!!

J
OP Offline
J
try to send picture but your web site only allows only 111kb. As a new member am I restricted.

John

A
A
Hi John you are not restricted just how it is i think! try uplading them to tinypic and posting them that way it works for me.If you are still having trouble email them to me and i will post for you.
Adam

S
S
Posting for John.
-serge-

S
S

S
S

S
S

jryesmar, first let me also say welcome to this forum.
Second, the Feldhernnhalle-dagger by no means was a "high leaders" dagger but to the best knowledge a duty (!) dagger for (any) leaders of the Standarte Feldherrnhalle and staff of the OSAF (Oberste SA Führung = highest SA leadership). Nevertheless these were not a lot of people, the daggers are internally numbered and the highest (by me) known number is "51".
Third, and I think this is what you are most interested in is that the dagger looks pretty good original and from these not to good pics I can see no red flags. The color of the grip is slightly darker than those known by me but it can lay in the pics or in any treatment like oiling or so.
Naturally better, sharper and more detailed pictures (especially the scabbard, the scabbard bands, the pointed fields, the edges of these fields) would be necessary for a better, concrete statement and finally an in hand inspection by an (in FHH daggers) experienced collector would be necessary for final statement.
But as said, in these pics all looks pretty good!!! Also the condition looks very good!
Is this dagger accompagnied by a hanger?
Currently original FHH daggers range (without hangers) around 45000, 50000 USD Smile .
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
I forgot to mention: Although disassambling easily would help for making a concrete statement concerning originallity I only can HIGHLY RECOMMEN NOT to disassamble this valuable item. Each (in FHH daggers) experienced collector can tell you from the overall detailed look if this dagger is original or not. And I highly assume it IS original. And any deformation of the head screw 8or any other part) might lower the worth.
Also to mention is the very special and typical color of the metal parts which, to my best knowledge, cannot be faked until now. Beneath this fact there are a lot of other facts I can detect even in these bad pics which let me give thumbs up!
Is the scabbard magnetic, what is the weight of the scabbard? Is the blade magnetic?
When you look at my avatar you can see I know from what I am speaking Big Grin .
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
You have to be very careful with these. There is very good old fakes out there. As there are very few (original) ones in collections. The repros. are made with original dies and molds, but the way they cast the repros. is different...I have handled both (original and fake) and the old reproductions are good..I think it is very hard to tell from these pictures..

J
OP Offline
J
quote:
wotan, gd.c-b#105

Jason Burmeister is coming to my home on monday to look at the dagger. I probably won't sell it to him until I get more info. When handling this dagger it is very light and the scabbard feels like it is aluminum.

thanks John

On the face of it, looks good. My advice would be to get a few opinions on it and then DONT sell it until you have had a few offers on it.

If its real I will put $30,000 on the table to get you started. I expect you will get more but then again knowing what some of the dealers offer that could be a good starter.

You could also try upgrading your account and trying the "for sale" section on here when you have a price in mind (if it is a real one).

S
S
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mongobongo:

If its real I will put $30,000 on the table to get you started. -
------------------------------

Look's like Mongo's cat ain't mousin around with an opening hand (paw) like that. Razz

Guess Jason's forced to go $30,100 ? - Big Grin

On a serious note: Having a rarely seen tang nut pix, it appears to me that this dagger has never been disassembled. I concur with 'wotan', I would not disassemble this dagger no matter what. Anything can happen and none of it good for the artifact. Anyone who knows this model will be able tell 'in-hand' if it's fake or real-without disassembly.

-serge-

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for everyones help. I will get back with you later.

John

quote:
Originally posted by DAMAST:
You have to be very careful with these. There is very good old fakes out there. As there are very few (original) ones in collections. The repros. are made with original dies and molds, but the way they cast the repros. is different...I have handled both (original and fake) and the old reproductions are good..I think it is very hard to tell from these pictures..

Hello DAMAST, if you know exactly what you have to look for you can dare to make a statement. For me there ar e LOt of features even in these pics which led me to my opinion.
As said, an in hand inspection of SUCH a dagger is absolutely unavoidable.

@jryesmar Jason Burmeister is a VERY good adress.

@ 30.000 USD: Imo this would be a steal as there were several original FHH daggers which were sold towards russia the last years an therefore, imo are lost at least for a long time for the European and much more the US market. So I think they are additionally pretty rare nowadays.
For 30.000 even I would think of buying a second one Cool.

Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

Well its an open offer to get the ball rolling for the guy. Im happy to pay $30,000 for it and have the money right now to do so. I have been open and honest about it. And am not ashamed of that offer I know of one recently sold for less tan this.

Look at the NSKK Honor that Ailsbury bought for £6,000 and sold on at a hefty profit to me and all the mess that followed. And everyone on WAF told the guy it was worth $50,000. Bloke on here with a real sleepy SA High leaders dagger, offered it about at $25,000 over PM and had it for ages despite being told it was worth $50,000. Then Wittmann bought it and had it up at $55.000!!. Its easy to say stuff is worth one figure when you try to sell it but getting it is sometimes an other matter.

At least the guy knows he has a real offer on the table of $30,000 so is unlikely to sell it for less than that. I honestly hope he gets as much for it as he can.

Being super light is one sign of a good one, IMHO.

Wotan, if it weren't an Eickhorn, I would be offering you mine. Big Grin

But, I like Eick.

jy:

Jason is a good guy who will give you the straight goods. But, keep in mind, like all business transactions, you should know the market. At $30k, dealers can still make money on a real one.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
dear,jryesmar

If the Dagger is original i wil pay you € 30.000 in euros, thats $ 37.000 US dollar.
you can mail me at pebuma@kabelfoon.nl or
pvdburg@dehavenbv.nl

I am very serious, thanks in advance.

Peter

Now thats what im talking about, the guy will get to sell now for AT LEAST $37,000 Smile happy days.

But Peter only has 1 post??? Eek cmon peter fess up and use your normal account!

This thread is very fair for the seller as most of the decent buyers are on this site.

Sorry Mongobongo,

What do you mean? this is the second time i reply on this forum..a friend of mine told me about the FHH. that's why i react.
I want to buy this beauty if it's original but i think Jason is the lucky one...
I'll hope that he will give me a chance...before it goes to Russia again...I am a collector no dealer.

By, Peter

Not being a dagger guy I'm quite amazed by the offers already on the table for this piece. Maybe I should become a dagger guy! Big Grin

I'm an "older" dagger guy.....
I held one of these babies at TW's place one time....Awesome..
But I realized then...and now....I could never afford one... so I bought the TW/TJ letter opener !!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Wink

Lou Bell
A
A
For the record and this of course is my opinion:
Conventional wisdom has it that there are 15 or so of these daggers available to collectors.
Well I counted 7 for sale at the MAX few years ago. Furthermore I've noted at least a dozen different ones for sale over the years and this of course doesn't count the one's in private collections that have not been on the market in many years if ever.
The are rare but I don't think they're that rare.
Jim

For the record Jim M is right on !!! Called very rare, but so many are hanging around !!!

Urban B Martinez Jr
A
A
Russian:
The "rarity" of this dagger is a scenario promulgated by those who would reap big profits from it's acceptance. Hyping various items of militaria has become far more common with the instant access available to those collectors who readily use the Internet.
I only need to go back to the "Hype" surrounding "Railroad Eagles" of a few years ago. The Hyper in this case managed to inflate the prices on these 5 to 10 fold and I'm sure gained windfall profits in the process.
Jim

S
S
I concur with Jim. I know of a FHH that came like this one from the woodwork four months ago. The usual players were involved, one ended up with it and the vast majority don't even know the story.
People stay quiet about them.
A mysterious rare model with many variations to it's small numbers produced and surviving.

-serge-

Serge, good said and it is gladly not always in that way but mostly. Right time right place, luck and jealousy.

P
Online Content
P
........,.and BOY am I jealous,most of us can only dream of having this amount of disposable income, or am i the only guy here shopping on a budget??????????
Congrats to vendor and to purchaser whoever you may be. Any current owners care to post some pics of this beast?

paul

FUR EHR' UND PFLICHT BIS HERZ UND KLINGE BRICHT
F
F
A feature to look out for on the original FHH pieces, is the blemish which appears on the scabbard - lower section.

It is at the bottom of the stippled panel, where the outline recess recurves upwards to make a pointed arch. On the right side of the panel the recess border line does not meet the conflusion of the upward curve, due to a defect occuring in the die pressing the scabbard body - and the flaw is repeated on both sides.

So don't let anyone tell you that this feature is wrong, or the sign of a faked up piece - it is not! It is an identifiable characteristic noted on the original production pieces.

Frederick J. Stephens

R
R
quote:
Originally posted by mongobongo:
Now thats what im talking about, the guy will get to sell now for AT LEAST $37,000 Smile happy days.

But Peter only has 1 post??? Eek cmon peter fess up and use your normal account!

This thread is very fair for the seller as most of the decent buyers are on this site.

can you share why you made such a remark ?? because Peter only has one post he cant put out an offer ?
You know that that dagger is worth maybe even double, so why did you try to give such a BAD offer? Is that a dealer thing?

It just seemed absolutely odd that a new poster would jump in like that. I was implying that generally when this happens its a "troll" or someone who uses the site regularly who has another account as they dont want anyone to know who they are. Most regular forum users here or anywhereelse will recognise that. If he is a real user I am pleased for him and wish him the best.

I will be pleased for the guy if he gets it, im more of an SS Man myself so would only pay $30K for this. If you read my posts you can see it was somewhere to start the bar for the guy, that is WHY I posted it in public. Point I was making to the seller is that he should get a few offers for the piece before he humps it out at silly money. Now he has $37,000 on the table from our recent poster so that is the new bar for him.

S
S
Fred....from what little you can see from these photos...what would your call be on it?
Sepp

GDC 0292 Gold

quote:
A feature to look out for on the original FHH pieces, is the blemish which appears on the scabbard - lower section.

It is at the bottom of the stippled panel, where the outline recess recurves upwards to make a pointed arch. On the right side of the panel the recess border line does not meet the conflusion of the upward curve, due to a defect occuring in the die pressing the scabbard body - and the flaw is repeated on both sides.

So don't let anyone tell you that this feature is wrong, or the sign of a faked up piece - it is not! It is an identifiable characteristic noted on the original production pieces.

Frederick J. Stephens

Fred is right on!! Big Grin plus there are a few more things on the fittings to watch out for.If the dagger is real it is still a bargain if you have the cash..

S
S
Fred...sorry I should have asked in my last post...So that would be for the scabbard...What about the dagger it self

Sepp

Sorry, Sepp I posted before I saw your post...

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks to everyones for the help with FHH dagger but it is no longer for sale.

John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,492 SS Bayonets
1,760,281 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,763 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) - 03/28/2024 04:43 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,703
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
10 members (BAM, Stephen, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Julianek, ANTIK-1933, The_Collector, Documentalist, Jonesy, Jamesol2, Seppi), 541 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod