Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#358067 05/17/2023 01:46 AM
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well,, I just tried 5 different military collecting sites,,including one Russian and one German.. ALL,,all are super slow.. Sure there is the daily 'is my SS tab good?' my SS visor cap skull good',,,'iron cross good?',,,same questions over and over and over..

Don't see any great finds really.. Not like years before.... SO,,what is it? We're the end of the line? Everyone's broke?,, or worried about the economy,, and retirement? Most of us now are at that age and past!

Ridiculous prices? , nothing available? - You have just about everything and maybe just would upgrade IF, if something turned up? ,, No more local shows?

Come on guys,,,can't take 3 min and make a post??

- * For me its a combination.. Not much available in the subject area I'm in... High prices,,and local shows almost non existent, and retirement here.......

SO,,I save and wait for the MAX.. IF I get something great. IF I don't great. I still have a great time seeing whos left of the old crew... What is it for you guys? Whats the slowdown.. There's no right or wrong answer here. Just your opinion after many years of collecting.........

1 member likes this: Tanker
T
T
I have not been well and don't regularly collect or post anymore. I will look at the forum now and then to see if honor rings are posted but they are rarely new ones posted. Still here, just not as active. Ron

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Tanker,,,thanks so much for the response! You have posted some pieces from your collection occasionally....

. Seems to be a well rounded out collection of very nice items../and yes, you'll make the occasional HR post,,but also you'll occasionally post on PP rings which is great too as the more opinions the better.
There is no right or wrong as they are your opinions ...

- So we all look forward to your responses in the future,,thanks again,,,Gaspare

For me it's just the lack of new enamels/small badges on the market. Plus it seems as though the interest in small badges has gone amongst collectors. In the old days there could be quite a discussion regarding the various makers or variants of different pieces but there just doesn't seem to be collectors with an interest in them now.

Same with dealer sites etc. They just don't stock them now. I've recently decided to shift some of the doubles that have come in with other pieces/groups over the years & which I have never bothered to move on, however no one seems to be interested in them, even at far lower prices than a dealer would ask.... 10 years ago collectors would have bitten my hand off to obtain some of them.

Don

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.
Is it mostly the small items ?

On the other hand, shows seem to have really picked up after people could get get out and about. Prices for daggers are really going up and supply is very low. Same for some uniforms, helmets, firearms, etc.

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Dave,,I agree everything is down.. Helmets had a hard time a while back and have recovered a bit. Uniforms? they are all over the place. I truly believe they can reproduce anything they wanted to..
Now daggers,,,they have always been popular. Everyone likes to look at a dagger. You can hang them on the wall, display in a case etc. Same with firearms,,always popular plus they can also be useful in other ways wink

Don,,I agree. Enamels used to be very popular.. A rare one and the guys would go crazy.. Now nothing .. I like them because they are small and you can get 'lucky' with them,,maybe find one in a tinnie riker,,in a corner of a case etc. but still a gigantic slowdown...

Medals & badges,,went way down. The perfect badges, medals, etc some with their 'original' issue bags,,,sorry,,,for me I just don't believe it. With them I also believe perfect reproductions can be made.... Some suddenly had inflated values,,,Russian Front medals, War Service crosses,,certain pieces dealers had a hard time moving suddenly appearing mint in their issue bags whistle

Anyone else? Guys that specialize,,how about a comment on your subject area?? Is there availability?,,have the prices gone up? down? same?

Last edited by Gaspare; 05/17/2023 02:25 PM.
E
Online Content
E
Could be that a lot of collectors have reached the "That's it limit" I call it.
Been doing there thing for years, have reached the point that most things they want are out of this world.
I collect a lot of different things.
I do not want another Heer dagger unless it's a real beauty with a super grip and cross-guard, and not priced out of this world. Will not find it.
Do I have a SS dagger, no, am I going to spend $4000.00 on one, or $8000.00 for a chained one , or more, no.
The prices surely have something to do with it.
I really like watching Witty do his unboxing. Most of the really nice items never seem to get on the website.
I would really like to know how much he pays for the items, when I do see them for sale.

T
T
Gaspare
In your opinion, what is the best avenue to sell a collectable (say HR or really any collectable )? Is it forums, auction houses or contact of collectors privately?
Ron

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Ed, yeah I kind of hit the limit too. There is maybe 2 rings I'd spend on that I've never had and probably won't get. My poor family will have to do something with a few hundred rings but I don't want to sell...Sometimes you get lucky [like I did at the last MAX] and thats a different story that rarely plays anymore.

Ron,,,thats a great question!! It's something that changes I'd say... Right now it seems a couple of the auctions are getting top money! The biggest and best thing you should do it catalog your items for the family.. We have a topic here thats worth checking out if you haven't seen it... Families don't have clue what our stuff is worth and whats the absolute lowest to take to sell quick. Or what auction or dealer to consign with..

Here's the topic everyone should check out:

https://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=356151#Post356151

Last edited by Gaspare; 05/20/2023 01:37 PM.
T
T
Thanks G
I have it cataloged but need to update some pics. The one thing I have that is difficult to value is my HR. These can be all over the place

Last edited by Tanker; 05/20/2023 05:15 PM.
Here is a quick strategy, Ron:

1. Buy a Premium Membership for $32.95

2. List your ring in the For Sale area at a stiff price. Not outrageous, but pretty stiff grin

3. If someone buys it, you're home free with mucho $$$ smile

4. If they don't, you'll probably get all kinds of offers which will help you determine it's value.

Dave

Dave #358120 05/20/2023 07:37 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Dave
Here is a quick strategy, Ron:

1. Buy a Premium Membership for $32.95

2. List your ring in the For Sale area at a stiff price. Not outrageous, but pretty stiff grin

3. If someone buys it, you're home free with mucho $$$ smile

4. If they don't, you'll probably get all kinds of offers which will help you determine it's value.

Dave
Excellent advice Dave.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,932 SS Bayonets
1,762,176 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,163 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 04/19/2024 01:46 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/18/2024 08:33 PM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,036
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Vern, benten, Documentalist, Mikee, Stephen, Billy G., Dean Perdue), 762 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod