Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mikee Online Content OP
OP Online Content

G
G
Mikee,, the AH ring has been around for many years. BUT, there was no rock solid provenance for it.. It was featured in argosy magazine many years ago as well as a early Playboy edition.,,,all looking for a provenance in a slick way...

- about 20 years ago or so I was hired to drop everything and was paid handsomely to find the provanance for the ring.. The ring went from the maker to AH. To the soldier that found it [documented] to a famous dealer in the Cleveland area who sold the ring to the man that hired me.
2 years later and I had the provanance!!

When the owner was still alive I had a rock solid offer from John Peppera for the ring. But the owner refused it saying "its go to be worth a million" !

When the owner died the family contacted me and wanted Johns number and John offered again a very generous offer for it.. They also being a bit greedy said,,forget all of you we're putting it up for auction..

Boy did they make a mistake!!!! The ring was improperly described, not promoted right among other things. The ring sold for $46.K plus the 20%

Now it is where it is.....

I still own one of the jewelers period catalogs of his work describing his work and this very ring.. There were only 500 catalogs printed and some say I have the only complete edition.. I can neither confirm nor deny this... I have the catalog, the Playboy and about 500 photos of the ring.

AH.JPG (72.27 KB, 404 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 04/26/2023 02:12 AM.
Mikee Online Content OP
OP Online Content
G,

Awesome information. Can you show the catalog? Thank you

G
G
Mikee,,, if I showed some of the items in that catalog the counterfeiters would be working overtime to make them,,,and use the bookmas provenance!!!

IF who ever wins the ring doesn't want the catalog maybe I'll post a few of the items... I've snuck a few on GDC already and got the 'WOWs'!!!

He's an old ad from one of the first owners of the hoard. My friend got the ring, the slaver [plate]... Wolf and Harden got the AH mothers portrait and don't know who got the pistol....

RIP Bill.......

BilyAd2.jpg (55.86 KB, 371 downloads)
G
G
ok,,,ok,,, Here you go Mikee,,, You've seen this before..... I let it slip out once before and so sorry i did.................................

Gutenberg-Ring_0002-Kopie.jpg (116.12 KB, 366 downloads)
Mikee Online Content OP
OP Online Content
G,

You are so right about that. Oh wow, awesome info thanks for posting!

Very doubtful belonging of the ring to Hitler.
Firstly, the ring is very massive, the one who made it seemed to think that the place where they sit, and not their head: how such a high ring can be worn is not practical at all.
Secondly, I see the ring is peeling off, it is not gold, but simply covered with gold, from which I conclude that it is cheap.
It is unlikely that such nonsense could be presented to Hitler, while even gift rings lower to the ranks of the Reich were made of gold.
In general, I was not at all convinced by the photo - this is a collage for non-observant people who like to amuse themselves with fantasies

AH.JPG (153.63 KB, 333 downloads)
1 member likes this: ABTmRw
Online Happy
Whether it belonged to Hitler or not, it is hideous. Horrible! Give me an honest skull ring any day.

Mikee Online Content OP
OP Online Content
G,

Did the case sell with it?

G
G
the description of the ring they got is all wrong -

... this is 100% a ring that was presented to him in 1933 when he won the majority in the elections..
There is full documentations on this. I agree a weird ring but it was presented to AH and he kept it with him until his suicide. It was found in a box at his HQ addressed to his sister along with the mini portrait of his mother and other things..

The ring has many innovated things about it.. It was Rhodium plated and that is a outer shell over a base ring. The ruby's are 'Pigeon Blood Rubies some of the best in the world at the time.. Yes the case or globe with stand was sold with it.. Not really a ring to wear but for a showcase of innovations from the jeweler. It is a massive piece... All weird but true... It took me 3 years to find the documentation and then finally getting the catalog of the jewelers work was the icing of the cake.... I must give proper credits for at the time it was Odal who was doing the translation and helping me track down the man who had the book. Took a few uh,,lets say 'payments' before it could be bought and sent to me.
We also uncovered a very small guild booklet which the buyer of the ring bought from me after he won it. He wanted the catalog but there are just many unseen things in it I felt at the time to let it get out. To date I have not see another catalog of his works...........

Here is a photo of it in 1930. Unfinished and no case made for it either yet. All waiting for him to take complete power before presented to him in 1933.................

AH2.jpg (22.41 KB, 301 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 05/01/2023 08:51 PM.
Mikee Online Content OP
OP Online Content
G,
I agree. The ring looks like something that would be displayed more so then for wearing. What newspaper was it show cased in. Can you post the article?

G
G
Mikee,,, it was ONLY shown twice during the 3rd reich era..

One in a very small jewelers trade guild booklet.. Came out monthly or quarterly etc. and was jewelers talk. New casting methods, die cutting techniques, die repair,,plenty of advertisements. The was a very short article about the ring in 1930.. [these books are still in print today!]... The article was short in description but had a few decent photos of the ring...

The only other place with a decent description and nice photos from different angles etc. was the jeweler that made a catalog of his most famous and innovated works.. and that is it!!

The photo I show is a far far view of what it used to look like..
- For probably 10 years it was kept in a trunk of a Cadillac for 'safekeeping'!!!!!!!!!!!!

- It was once lost in a poker game for a month on the promise the former owner a chance to win it back. Well that took a month and during the time the new owner actually wore it all over the place and used to tap it on the counter of the bar! So one of the swords are damaged and a ruby got loose.

Luckily the ring got won back and the former owner finally realized what he had but no proof! It was John Peppera that told him he better get to work on the documentation or it could disappear from history...

Last edited by Gaspare; 05/01/2023 09:56 PM.
G
G
History has taken its toll on the AH ring.. frown . The Rhodium plating was the first to come off. Then a host of other mishaps all damaged the ring one way or another.. The photos shown are all from my project on rings . There is a chapter on 'Specials and this is just one of 5 'Special' rings..

This is a old photo when it looked much better. This was called the Treasure Trove of the Decade,,,should be millennium!

AH mothers portrait was painted on Ivory! and once , maybe still belonged to Woff & Hardin..

The pistol I don't know what happened to it.

The ring sold to a non military antiques collector.. He knew it was a great deal and got it. It was very poorly promoted and advertised hence the low but still respectable price of slightly under $50k.

There was also a non portable award for getting the SAAR back. A one of a kind in a special fitted case that went to Hitler. In the auction there was no mention it was from the hoard and someone got very lucky!
There was also a few small paintings from Hitler and a small flag that from what I understand was to his yacht[??]

,, And pictured here a Silver Salver - Engraved along the edge and on back and each Gau was in Amber!! Because of the war starting suddenly with the US it was never awarded and was said Hitler liked it so much he kept it!! ,, A beauty of a piece that went to a member of this forum!

There was a Large Mein Kampf,,,and a few other small pieces I'd have to check my notes on. This was all about 15 years ago guys so I jusy don't remember some of the smaller items

AH1.jpg (122.72 KB, 294 downloads)
BilyAd2.jpg (28.63 KB, 294 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 05/01/2023 10:34 PM.
G
G
Much Thanks to Vern our fearless leader for splitting up this topic righteously!

I also own the Playboy the hoard was featured in.. Yeah,,this was big news when it came out and perfect for a 'Mens Magazine' ! laugh grin

I have to hit the safe house and see if I can get some scans of it.......

Online Happy
Amazing information Gaspare. Thanks for posting. S

E
E
This is a very interesting ring, with a great story.
I do see Ev's point about not being gold. One would think a ring going to AH from a well known jeweler would be solid gold, not plated.
They did not skimp on the pistol, looks good.
But what do I know.
Ed

Last edited by ed773; 05/02/2023 06:42 PM.
G
G
Ed,, the ring is of a unique construction. A sculpture,,art.. Rhodium plating over gold and other weird things.. I have photos of it from many years ago and they look strikingly different as far as condition..

For my project its titled : Der Ring Des Nibelungen,,,,after Hitler's favorite opera.. I took well over 1oo photos of the ring and holder/display..

Here's another photo from my article.. The box with all these items was sitting in water being used ti prop up a board so the soldiers wouldn't be walking in water. The yacht [?] flag is shown here. I really don't know what it is but that was the description.. I was luck enough to hear a cassette tape of the soldier that found it in a interview.. What troubles this ring went thru, just fascinating..
There was even more found than what is in the photo!! ,,

oh yeah,,you can see a bit of the non portable of getting back the SAAR [upper left],. a one of a kind for Hitler someone got for the price of a Army dagger.
It would be great if the owner of the salver would post photos but I don't think will happen,,a real work of art in it self!!

AH3.jpg (150.64 KB, 248 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 05/02/2023 10:50 PM.
Mikee Online Content OP
OP Online Content
G,

Awesome, thanks for sharing this information.

E
E
G
I was not doubting anything about the history of the ring, or that it was given to AH.
Your proof says it all.
It is strange that it is not gold, at least 14K, being given to Hitler.
Could the ring be solid White Gold, washed in Yellow Gold to give it the Look it has???
Ed

G
G
Ed,, everything about the ring was weird and innovated. It plugs into a mini swastika on the holder. The holder / globe itself is made from silver and black wood. Its many pieces and can be 'broken' done/ taken apart in minutes. Black wood from the Black Forest, peg pieces are silver. The ring is one of the weirdest constructions I've ever seen.. As mentioned,,it a base ring with an outer skeletal form over it and all the decorations attached to it. Got to say, I've seen and studied rubies,,,,and these when viewed right are the darkest red you've ever seen.

So its not really a ring to be worn. Something the jeweler wanted to make to show Hitler the new things that will be coming out of Germany [?]. Anyway,,he must have liked it because he kept it with him from 1933 to 1945.

I have heard its mentioned in a book ,,,something about Hitler taking out this gaudish ring and passing it around but to date haven't been able to find the title or exact quote.. So its here for posterity and others to gawk at.... ,G.

G
G
I've decided to post just a few pieces from the catalog of work.,, a true master.. Beautiful things:

DSCN4340 (2).JPG (62.65 KB, 282 downloads)
DSCN4343 (2).JPG (94.95 KB, 282 downloads)
DSCN4349.JPG (95.19 KB, 282 downloads)
1 member likes this: JoeW
J
J
Originally Posted by Gaspare
Ed,, everything about the ring was weird and innovated. It plugs into a mini swastika on the holder. The holder / globe itself is made from silver and black wood. Its many pieces and can be 'broken' done/ taken apart in minutes. Black wood from the Black Forest, peg pieces are silver. The ring is one of the weirdest constructions I've ever seen.. As mentioned,,it a base ring with an outer skeletal form over it and all the decorations attached to it. Got to say, I've seen and studied rubies,,,,and these when viewed right are the darkest red you've ever seen.

So its not really a ring to be worn. Something the jeweler wanted to make to show Hitler the new things that will be coming out of Germany [?]. Anyway,,he must have liked it because he kept it with him from 1933 to 1945.

I have heard its mentioned in a book ,,,something about Hitler taking out this gaudish ring and passing it around but to date haven't been able to find the title or exact quote.. So its here for posterity and others to gawk at.... ,G.
It sounds like the ring you're describing has a unique and intricate design, with historical significance due to its association with Hitler. The use of innovative materials like silver, black wood from the Black Forest, and a distinct shape make it stand out. The connection to Hitler's interest in showcasing Germany's advancements adds another layer of historical context. If you're searching for a book reference related to the ring, it might take some time, but it's interesting that it's still being preserved for others to see. On a different note, incorporating this information about the ring into a gift for a wedding could be a creative way to share its story and historical importance with others.

G
G
J.W. , Welcome to the forum...

Well not a gift for a wedding but a gift for when he was finally elected to the Chancellery.. For 20 years or so I've been looking for the book on AH where they mention a gaudish ring Hitler would always take out and show people when they came to visit him.. Would be great to find but more important was finding the provanance on it. Took me a long time...

Several years ago it was sold at auction to a private collector. He didn't collect military per-se but collects art and other collectables. I asked why he bid on it and he mentioned it was a 'one off' piece of art.. [The ring is constructed like no other I've seen]... I asked him what he intended to do with the piece and he said its locked in his safe for now.........

- The post above with the photo of 'Hitler's Treasure' is everything that was found in the box.. At one time I knew where every piece was etc. but now I only know where a couple of them are...

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/12/2023 02:47 AM.
Online Content
Yes, Welcome, Jack,

Tell us more ... great subject

Dave
Admin

Sorry I missed this thread Gaspare. By the way, it was shown in an article in Penthouse, not Playboy. I have a copy too that goes with my sterling silver and amber 1939 Political Leader Marksmanship contest prize shown below that was supplied by executed war criminal Gauleiter Eric Koch that was part of the Hitler Trove found in the basement of the Fuhrerbau in Munich. What is really interesting is that the GI who found the trove told Bily that there were TWO gold pistols in the box he found. The first was a large gold pistol with white grips with the letters AH. This pistol was taken from him by an officer who paid for it. And what pistol was discovered in Munich after the surrender? The famous Walther PP ornately engraved and presented to Hitler on his birthday by the the Walther family that was found in Cleveland, sold by Mohawk Auction for $100,000 forty or fifty years ago and now is who knows where.

1939 RPT shooting prize 2.jpg (41.7 KB, 180 downloads)
Last edited by JoeW; 08/13/2023 04:33 PM.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557
Included with the amber and silver salver was some correspondence with the previous owner whose family consigned the salver to auction along with the Hitler ring. One piece was a letter from the German Ivory (Elfenbein) Museum inquiring about the salver which they believed was the work of a famous artist. Somehow the Amber Museum in Kalingrad, Russia (formerly in Königsberg East Prussia, the home of Amber manufacturing in old Germany) learned of the salver and got my email address. The salver was the design of the famous artist Prof. Brachert, who created the famous Ost Preussen (East Prussia) design used in this presentation salver, as well as others. They requested photos for a retrospective of that artist they were preparing. Here is a image of the back of the massive silver salver showing the bolts holding the pieces together. As with other authentic Königsberg Amber pieces, the salver is impressed with the Staatl. Bernstein Manufaktur (SBM) in Königsberg.

1939 RPT shooting prize 6a.jpg (31.09 KB, 186 downloads)

and Walther PP #975557
I've decided to post just a few pieces from the catalog of work.,, a true master.. Beautiful things:
Thank you for sharing these previously unseen images G. One wonders what happened to those three pieces of art? Did Gauleiter Grohe's magnificent sword tip with the tree of life or the Presentation "National Prize" Chalice from the Führer survive the war?

and Walther PP #975557
Hello JoeW, just a little correction: Erich Koch was not executed but his penalty was altered from "death" to lifetime prison because of illness.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
Originally Posted by wotan
Hello JoeW, just a little correction: Erich Koch was not executed but his penalty was altered from "death" to lifetime prison because of illness.
Regards,
Thank you for the correction!

and Walther PP #975557
G
G
Yes Penthouse!! I have that also somewhere and actually a good article!

Jow,,didn't want to mention your name as owner.. I thank you so much for showing it.. It is a work of art.. Some say its just Amber and others say Ambergris.. There is a difference. Whichever it is that would be a star of anyone's collection especially with its history.. So there was no ward that year and Hitler liked it so much decided to 'hold on' to it until after the war and could be awarded! I've seen in it person a few times and photos don't do it justice. Its a beauty of a piece and glad you still own it!

The spectacular 3 items I show above I'm not sure they were made. When you have the book in front of you and really study/inspect it I really think some are drawings. The sword really looks like a drawing when seen in hand in the book.. There are many other super items but I usually don't like to show as some 'dealers' would have a field day!! Suddenly months later they would be found! , and sold with using the book as a provenance!

Its a shame that many of the items from Hitler Treasure trove hoard will probably never be seen again!!

- * Thanks again Joe for presenting it here....,Gaspare

Yes Penthouse!! I have that also somewhere and actually a good article!

Jow,,didn't want to mention your name as owner.. I thank you so much for showing it.. It is a work of art.. Some say its just Amber and others say Ambergris.. There is a difference. Whichever it is that would be a star of anyone's collection especially with its history.. So there was no ward that year and Hitler liked it so much decided to 'hold on' to it until after the war and could be awarded! I've seen in it person a few times and photos don't do it justice. Its a beauty of a piece and glad you still own it!

The spectacular 3 items I show above I'm not sure they were made. When you have the book in front of you and really study/inspect it I really think some are drawings. The sword really looks like a drawing when seen in hand in the book.. There are many other super items but I usually don't like to show as some 'dealers' would have a field day!! Suddenly months later they would be found! , and sold with using the book as a provenance!

Its a shame that many of the items from Hitler Treasure trove hoard will probably never be seen again!!

- * Thanks again Joe for presenting it here....,Gaspare

Gaspare, I think those pieces were created if you read the text below the last two designs. The second photo showed a Swordtip in Steel with a height of almost 21 inches including the base made in 1936. The owner (Besitzer) was Gauleiter and State Representative Josef Grohe. The third photo is titled the Führer's Cup, created in 1938 for the Aachen Competition, with a height of almost 28 inches. Both appear to have been produced, but did they survive the war. Was their a title for the sword hilt in the first photo?

and Walther PP #975557
G
G
Joe, even tough we've had the house raised I keep very little here.. I'll have to get at the book.. The 2 pieces were produced and are one off's.... The swords handle really looks like a drawing but most jewelry and special pieces do start out as drawings.. It'll take me a few days but I'll get another shot of it and we'll see if and or who it got presented to!

G
G
Joe,,,, we should have known!!!! from bottom of sword drawing... So it was made and presentive IF I understand the German correctly:

hoard2.jpg (45.72 KB, 124 downloads)
G
G
So now we know about the sword Joe. We really should have known!,,who else could have got that thing.. Seriously doubt it survived the war but we'll never know..

also while I was taking the shot I found some 'civilian' rings... Heres a shot of one page of some:

hoard3.jpg (120.01 KB, 106 downloads)
G
G
also,, here's the pistol they always show with the Blynn collection.. He had many pistols and originally that was his thing,,only WWII pistols...

So here's one of his. Not sure who ended up with it but the pistols were all sold first so he could buy the AH ring,,the Goring brooch, and a host of other really spectacular items...

Bottom left has the description of Joes Salver,,,a real hoard find and would be a star in anyone's collection.. Glad Joe got it........

R.I.P. Bill....

hoard.jpg (163.04 KB, 104 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 09/13/2023 06:30 PM.
Mikee Online Content OP
OP Online Content
G,

Do you recall the maker(s) of these rings?

G
G
Mikee , the rings,,,the AH presentation ring w holder,, some of the items in the 'Hitlers Treasures' posted above

The other B&W items were from a very limited production print run.... Featuring his ideas, some of his favorite items ,all to showcase and what he made from the Gold/Silversmith Master Karl Berthold.!.

- the photo above' Hitlers Treasures' show most of a documented hoard that was found by a US soldier and with a little bribery/help he managed to get back to the US....

G
G
Here's a couple more pages of rings from Gold/Silversmith Master Karl Berthold's catalog of work!.

To say he was a little ahead of his time would be an understatement.. I wonder what a dealer at a flea market / Bazaar / 'Boot Sale' would charge for one of these 'weird' rings. grin.??!??!

Some interesting pieces :

Brings.jpg (62.99 KB, 81 downloads)
Brings2.jpg (108.61 KB, 81 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 09/23/2023 01:00 AM.
Mikee Online Content OP
OP Online Content
G, Thanks for sharing them. Pretty cool! Some of his rings look like buildings, like a town or city being built from the bottom up. What Penthouse issue was it? Best!

Joe,,,, we should have known!!!! from bottom of sword drawing... So it was made and presentive IF I understand the German correctly:
You are correct Gaspare. The text reads "97. Sword. 1933. Length of sword 1 meter. Length of grip 15 centimeters. In the possession of Reichsmarschall Göring."

and Walther PP #975557
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,503 SS Bayonets
1,760,283 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,764 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
15 members (OWN, Mikee, Stephen, benten, Documentalist, Don Scowen, polop, Browning1900, Tanker, BAM, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Julianek, ANTIK-1933, The_Collector, Jonesy), 587 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod