Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#356775 12/24/2022 03:45 AM
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well they were saying its coming,,that it was possible. But this late in the year its very rare.. This morning at around 6:am I heard a large explosion,,,and then a village wide black out!! Not so bad it happens.. I was tired and should have been thinking.... I started to get together the flashlights, lanterns etc.,,,put some pots of water on to boil..

Then I heard my neighbor scream!. When I went outside I saw this!.. The explosion was water hitting out power station about a 1/2 mile away! 10 min after this photo the water was up to the hood of that white pick up truck!
Now my home had gotten rebuilt after repetitive loses of hurricane Irene and SuperStorm Sandy. We were up in the air. Our living space was safe. We had about 3 feet water underneath us in our downstairs garage/shop.... I'd say about every other house on the block that wasn't raised got a couple feet water in their living space and most of us lost our cars.... frown

Why do things like this happen. So early many woke up to put their feet down and end up in water! Next door we had a immigrant family living there with 3 small children. I put on the boots and went next door and got them putting their valuable in pillow cases , jewelry, deeds, titles, other documents, got them packing clothes for the kids. They were coming out og shock and they had a small dormer upstairs they could go to... Set them up with some candles, a lantern, sterno cans, food from their fridge, water jugs and told them everything will be alright to call if they needed anything. Back home my wife was trying to save things in the garage.. I made sure the bike was high up on the lift and said f**k it lets go inside........

2 hours later the tide stated going down. The water receding... By 4: pm the power came back on....

I'll be off line for a few days.. Merry Christmas guys... IF you want say prayers for the plenty of people that had it way worse than us............,Gaspare

2023FLOOD.jpeg (118.04 KB, 121 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 12/24/2022 03:46 AM.
And you had all 432 neighbors standing on your upstairs ramp & deck ?

Online Content
Sorry to read that you have been hit again. Will be thinking of you all over there during the holidays....

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.
Online Happy
Stay safe Gaspare. Hope you manage to have a happy Christmas despite this catastrophe. S

C
C
So sorry to hear about the flooding in the Northeast. I lived in Wayne Twp., Passaic County, New Jersey for 61 years and went through 7 major floods from 1968-2011. In the April 1984 flood my next-door friend, Kurt Misbrenner and I rescued 17 families with my rowboat and got the Wayne Twp. mayor's award tee-shirt and a certificate on Oct. 27, 1984. In 1984 and 2011, I had almost 5' of Pompton River flood water in the house. Glad to be out of harm's way now. Good luck and stay safe Gaspare.

G,

So sorry you keep going through this. Hope recovery is quick.

High winds+ freezing temps+lake effect is quite a potent combo, north east gets slammed again and very early in the winter season.
I've been looking at the radar map last few days, as I'm sure many other have .. Amazing to see the storms just streaming eastwards off all the lakes, and they seem to stay stationary for a long time, with bands stretching 100's of miles east. High winds made things so much worse, almost like a perfect storm for misery.

Don't think I could cope with that very long, it bad enough here in SE MI.

Doug
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
yeah its been pretty bad guys.. I'm on Long Island we had water.. Upstate NY , Buffalo area 4o people have died so far and many are missing in the Catskills upstate area etc..

The news downplayed it,,the radar didn't seem so bad,,,then suddenly,, actually very fast it came. The photo above and this one is around 5:45 am! I came out and it was already to late to escape as you can see the one white car got half way down the block and drowned.. There was nowhere to go anyway as it got worse further up. Later it got a lot higher..
We parked our car up on the lawn [high spot] and we saved it. Another 4 inches it would have been gone... I / we lost a lot under the house , my shop area etc. It's been well below freezing since it happened and not much clean up had started. Now with a bit warmer temps we can try and clean up as much as possible while we can.....

Have a happy New Year guys...........,G.

FLOOD22.JPG (141.8 KB, 54 downloads)
Seems to me they were talking about the "bomb cyclone storm of the century" for a week in advance, but true they often don't turn out as bad as predicted and people tend not to pay heed until its too late.

There were dire predictions for my area of SE MI but never panned out, we did get sub freezing temps and very high winds, but very little snow. Seems we were always on the edge of passing cells north and south, obviously you were the bullseye, and the lake effect kicked it into another gear.

Doug
I don't care what it would take I would not and could not keep going through this. I would move.

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Little difficult to see , maybe first photo. But the Army corp of Engs are just starting a 3 year project of increasing the drainage pipes from a 3 ft diameter to one you can drive thru !!!. also raising the streets, and some other things. We're only 8 months in to it so we have a while to go....

It's a beautiful beach community... My wife has a fantastic job with 5 more years to retirement so for now we're not going anywhere...........
- . Our house has already been rebuilt / raised well above the flood plane.... We were in no danger of getting water in living space ...

--Really, doesn't matter where you go... Flooding down south, 10 foot snowfalls to the north,, the tornado belt,,, fires that consume 3 , 4 states at a time out west.. You pick your poison.. Most of our children and grandchildren live pretty close by. We're Ukrainians and Sicilians and the family sticks together.. Few years from now when retirement comes for the wife we'll probably make a move maybe West NJ,, maybe Penn.. ...,
Happy New Year guys,,,2023 is going to be a good one,,and happy hunting,, may you find the pieces you've been after your liftimes!!..., thanks , G.

M
M
Wondering what happened to that white tacoma in the first picture. Those are some tough trucks!

E
E
I'm with G
Doesn't matter where you go, there you are.
I had a great place at 7600ft in the Colorado mountains, went through 5 or 6 wildfires without any trouble.
The one 2 years ago wiped me out, house, outbuildings, and 90% of the 17 acres. There was nothing to salvage, all gone. When your number is up, your up.
That Toyota could have backed out of that much water, it was not the truck, the driver.
Hang in there G, 5 years will go buy fast enough, but where do you go???
Ed

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Mike,, Ed,,, the white truck,,remember thats about 5:30, 5:45 am.. By the time most people woke up and heard screaming etc. and there was no electric , people trying to grab important stuff to bug out it was to late.. About 25 min after that photo was taken the water was up to his hood!

, Later that day after the tide went down, and the winds stopped, it had got towed out.. Most of the cars on my block were flooded and towed away.. What happens is depending on what insurance you have you get blue book value [sometimes a little more] and you get another vehicle.....
- Some try and wash it out , shampoo,, motor flush,,,drive thru car wash,,,,its never enough and and you will have trouble a bit later on!
, Flooded out motorcycles,,,they are totaled. . Same with them,,wash, douche out as much as you want,,later on you will have problems.. Only the true antiques get fully restored to show or rideable condition... - It is salt water,,,also sewage back up water,,the water treatment chemicals are strong.. I've had High quality micrometers [Starrett] get like acid etched!! , Clean, oil, re calibrate doesn't matter they're no good......

So every area has its problems. The thing is to be ready, take precautions. Had my flashlights, lanterns, started water boiling on all the burners, bug out bag packed, waders etc. - I put my bike lift on 2 cement blocks high,,then pumped it up all the way and said my prayers.

- * This is my 3rd time [but no loss this time!]. I typed up a full page of suggestions how to get ready,, , made about 100 copies and distributed first on my block and then people handed out the blocks behind ours... We're Strong Island,,this is who we are, we take care of our own and will help who ever needs..... Warm day today,,spent it cleaning up, pressure washing, sweping, bagging up,,,then went to the opera as we had company visiting from Ukraine!

- Its ok,,,we're Americans right!! Say a prayer and lets get on with it... Happy Yew Year guys!!... Happy Hunting and lets start finding some good pieces right off for 2023!!!.. * Thanks for those who emailed well wishers we appreciate it..., Gaspare

Last edited by Gaspare; 01/03/2023 05:26 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,787 SS Bayonets
1,762,158 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,121 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/18/2024 08:33 PM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Overslept a development???
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 04/18/2024 01:13 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Gaspare - 04/18/2024 12:32 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,034
Members7,518
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Stud, chevalier2022, Documentalist, Stephen, The_Collector, atis, Don Scowen), 613 guests, and 115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod