Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#355162 07/12/2022 12:19 AM
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well,,,there is no market! 10 / 15 years ago we pretty much could find what we wanted. Not all the time but with patience you'd find it ..
- When this forum started years ago everyone wanted the SS Honor Ring and not much else.. You could find any other pattern you wanted just about. Some of us here have been collecting a long time and have seen all these different patterns for sale.
- I met Evgeniy and another member over 10 years ago in Kiev. It was a 'Antique, Digger fair'. People were there from all of Europe it seemed. You could pick and choose what you wanted. Great military to be found and also general antiques everywhere , furniture, jewelry, Icons, all sorts of stuff....

Well, those days are l o n g over.. Now every one wants SS, SS and SS rings.
- Members,,there just are not a lot out there. There weren't a lot made. Even laws once the war actually started they were not to be sold. And, as far as 'new' SS patterns, variants etc, suddenly showing up. ,,,for those of us long time collectors IF one hasn't shown its face/pattern in over 80,,EIGHTY years you can bet more than likely its a fantasy.

I have been collecting rings for over 40 years. I'm not saying I have seen everything. But when I see a 'variant', or a weird pattern I get to work.. I pour over the old auction catalogs. Check any period newspaper,periodical I can get my hands on,,trade guilds etc.. IF I have to pay some of these paper collectors who lets say have every issue of 'Der SA Mann looking for a SA ring, a advert then I'd pay them. I'll check with other collectors from around the world.
IF I'm lucky enough to have it in hand to check I'll do all the testing possible. A decent microscope on the secondary market is pretty cheap and has many uses. Enamel testing, Silver testing [years ago silver was low at market and reproductions were made stamped 800 when they were really 925/sterling!].

- * Where do we stand? The market is down. There isn't anything out there really. know everyone wants a SS ring,,a SA ring. Your going to need some dam good photos. A return policy,, and use you brain..

- * I think for those that collect rings to branch out a bit.. Check out the WestWall topic we have pinned here at the top. Check out the 'Patriotic rings'. The Skull rings,,others on the back pages to check out. They are nice looking rings!

For me its not a problem. I like all the different organizational rings, para military etc. As of late American WWII enamels have gone thru the roof,,,,when you can find one..
- Branch out. They are all history and a miracle they survived the 80+ years!,

Great info,G

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Online Content
Thanks, Gaspare,

Same thing with SS daggers "gone thru the roof,,,,when you can find one."

Dave

T
Online Content
T
I do not actively collect anymore so I rely on the forum for Pics:) Of course, in about 5-10 years we may look back (hope to be here!) and say, Boy, I wished we had those 2022 prices.
Ron

R
R
G,.

always a pleasure to read an experienced collector when he speaks.....and you're the go-to guy , but it seems market is pricing not only SS/SA stuff....judging by some pieces recently auctioned in EU.

Thank you for interesting report

Ric

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Ric,, yes there is a auction or 2 that is getting great prices on rings.. Unfortunately some are not good,,,some questionable,, but some rare!!

I recently saw a gold S/A that was engraved and all properly marked.. A custom job for sure [not mass produced] ,,but maybe worth getting! Along with a couple others seen ,some nice but pricey rings especially with the buyers premium!

It is a sellers market for sure right now... And,, also hard to find authentic one lookers lets say.... But I've seen guys laugh at a Wire wound WestWall. In good condition,,silver wash still on it and under $150. They laughed but did not have an example in their collection!! Guys,,IF the price is very fair pick them up especially IF you don't have the pattern even if not exactly fitting in to your SS, SA, other subject area of collecting.. It is amazing any of these survived after the war [80+ yrs!] at all...

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Just got a email from an auction house,,,House of History'.

Lists some expensive rings.. A 'WestFront Skull ring',,,opening bid 500e [Euro!]. I can't see photos so can't even tell you IF authentic or not... German eBay has a few authentic rings,,,also very expensive opening bids.... US eBay,, I took a quick look, couldn't find any authentic German rings , the couple US period rings were very high priced and questionable!

Hello Gaspare
I’ll add my observations, I won’t say that the ring market has fallen, not at all, there is interest in different rings, it’s just that here on this forum the activity of information exchange has decreased, basically everyone has moved to social networks, it’s easier for many people to exchange information, share finds and consult. the same picture is observed in Russian-language forums.
And sometimes it just gets boring, discussing ordinary simple rings 10-20 times, which are not uncommon, so often it seems that there is no one.
Maybe a lot of people here just left this area of ​​collecting, I remember 10 years ago there was a more active life here, but now there is silence.
But I see rings being dug up, shown and collected here in Russia.
And sometimes these are just exclusive finds.
And last time , aroud 3-5 months the economic crisis began, it seems to me

Last edited by Evgeniy; 08/10/2022 04:58 PM.
1 member likes this: Jareth Holub
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Evgeniy,,,I agree all around! The economy is bad everywhere.. also years ago rings weren't so collectable. Lets say in the last 20 yrs they got more popular and lets face it,,,there were only a finite amount made and, only so many survived.,, and this forum concentrates on German pieces but all welcomed.
- SO, very simple, with more collecting them the less become available..

Also years ago this was the only forum/space discussing 1st the HR and then PP rings and other jewelry.. Now there are many and anyone can open up a facebook group or whatever and sprout anything they want to.. There is a core group here. You included who know what they're doing. We go by our experience and documentation etc. We all try our best.

Prices are high no matter where you go. Availability is low, nothing we can do about that.. Sometimes sadly we leave ,,like Andy and Odal and others. Those collections go back on the market,,,just like yours and mine will! ,,but hopefully not too soon! wink

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/10/2022 05:43 PM.

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,511 SS Bayonets
1,760,288 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
15 members (JonathanC, Baz69, Landser, Billy G., Documentalist, AndyRose, Duzig, atis, Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN, Mikee, Stephen, benten), 564 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod