Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#352176 10/06/2021 11:56 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I would imagine most members here and collectors have seen this ring for sale on the WAF estand by now. Full disclosure- I do not know the seller nor do I have an interest in purchasing at this time- nor do I know anyone who is at the moment as well. I just felt it was worth discussing as we do love our ss private purchase rings (“blackies”) most of all. So- for the sake of public discussion, opinions?? Photo credit- waf; member “Roman Abramov” (who, although I do not know- would like to commend for fantastic skill in photographing rings! Well done!)

E
E
Mike
I know nothing about rings, but, period or not, that is a very nice collection of 10 rings.
Ed

1 member likes this: Stephen
M
OP Offline
M
The sales thread has added a couple more rings, if you haven’t seen it yet. On the miscellaneous estand. I have no dog in this- I’m not a potential buyer or do I know the seller. Just thought maybe it was worth the time of the collectors to discuss.

G
G
I am not passing judgment on any of the other rings:

Thru correspondence years ago before there was email [and after] I had learned that one firm made this skull over runes pattern ring, one... That this firm was already making another slightly different pattern due to the visor cap insignia change.. He received a 'cease and desist' letter and both rings were sadly stopped in production immediately! There were no working dies sold to other firms etc. When Hitler came into power[took?] things changed and very quickly.. Anyway, we're getting off topic. It is just my opinion that the ring shown is not an authentic WWII produced ring. My opinion. You all have an opinion and that is mine........... Thank you.., Gaspare

G
G
Very early rings were usually high quality finish,,,and both these bands were a fine polish inside and out.. The enamel was also the the best ,,black, glassy! etc.

Here are both the early and later pattern rings....

The early type [pirate type skull] I knew it was in a collection since the 70s and we knew the US vet that brought it home..but was never for sale. Once the owner realized you can only take so many things with you it was offered to me.
Took me 2 years to save up for it. He was a gentleman and held on to it even though he had offers of more that what we agreed upon..The 2nd pattern basically a similar story.. Again,,my opinion. These were according to the German manufacturer were it,,no one else was making them nor will you see adverts making them.

Its great to see everyone happy. IF the buyer of the ring first shown makes the buyer happy,,then so be it, God bless him..., Gaspare

DSCN2968.JPG (58.72 KB, 181 downloads)
DSCN3500 (1).JPG (46.11 KB, 181 downloads)
Those are amazing rings that you have, Gaspare. Stunners! I believe you may have sold one or both of them. I‘d love one of these.

ado Offline
Originally Posted by Gaspare
Very early rings were usually high quality finish,,,and both these bands were a fine polish inside and out.. The enamel was also the the best ,,black, glassy! etc.

Here are both the early and later pattern rings....

The early type [pirate type skull] I knew it was in a collection since the 70s and we knew the US vet that brought it home..but was never for sale. Once the owner realized you can only take so many things with you it was offered to me.
Took me 2 years to save up for it. He was a gentleman and held on to it even though he had offers of more that what we agreed upon..The 2nd pattern basically a similar story.. Again,,my opinion. These were according to the German manufacturer were it,,no one else was making them nor will you see adverts making them.

Its great to see everyone happy. IF the buyer of the ring first shown makes the buyer happy,,then so be it, God bless him..., Gaspare

Thank you Gaspare for posting these two of now my Skull with Runes rings that have used to be in your collection.
It is nice to read all the history behind these rings. Two of very rare and hard to find rings.

Thanks again G
Best Regards
Ado

ado Offline
Actually the other two SS rune rings shown just below the two mentioned Skull and Runes rings (circled in red) comes from your collection as well Gaspare.

G
G
yes Ado I remember all 4 of them dearly...

The 2 Skull over SS are probably 2 of the rarest most expensive SS rings there is! Sorry all 4 they had to go but I thoroughly enjoyed all 4 them..

[Thats what happens when you have twin girls and one gets married one year after the next!]

- I'm very happy though they are with someone that first appreciates them and more important takes care of them.

- Years ago I had a nice relationship with a German jeweler whos family was very famous and made all sorts of goodies during the war.. At first we exchanged letters but then by the 90s we were emailing.. He was one of the Wilms. The family that made some of the best jewelry, awards, etc. during WW2.

He wrote me only they made that skull over SS ring pattern and quickly got changed to the 2nd pattern because the SS changed the skull on their visors/tabs..Both patterns were not made for long. Less than a year for sure and that no one else made a similar pattern. ..
- Also, on the left,,the 'Blackie' with the large SS runes [under the early skull over SS] is one from their firm too. He wasn't sure at first but when he saw good photos he said for sure it is a Wilm SS Rune ring.

I had asked him about the 'Victory Rings' a dealer was selling in the mid 90s and they mention Wilm and he told me the story is a outright lie and no German firm would produce a ring such as that..

I asked for records, drawings, bills etc. and he said they got bombed and most were lost. BUT, a few cases of records they donated to the German gov. but to his knowledge they have never been looked at or even if they survived the postwar rebuilding period.

Sadly a family member had seen one of the emails. They did not like I was asking about the 3rd reich era and their rings made during such time.. They advised him to end our relationship immediately. He had sent one last emailing saying he enjoyed our conversations but it is time for it to end. I accepted and understood but could tell he was very proud of his families wares. Their great quality for something some called kitsch!.
Anyway, enjoy the rings,,,it is better to have loved and lost than to never love at all.....,thanks , G.

1 member likes this: Stephen
ado Offline
Hello Gaspare and thank you on your response on these rings.

Yes you are absolutely correct on those two rings on the left being made by the same jeweler of Wilms (skull with runes and the ss ring just below) they both have same ring band design.
Your correspondence with the member of the Wilms family is just amazing and historically very important to these rings made by Wilms.

Thank you again on your kind words
Best Regards G
Ado

G
G
Ado.., This Swastika ring I'm showing.... When I first joined up here over 20 years ago. There was a member who was American but living in the CZ Rep. He had bought a few rings and sent me photos... Probably a 1/4 of them were fake.. But the good ones were really good!

Anyway,,I usually do not collect hand carved rings [like DAKs, Krim, etc.] But this Swas is the absolute best hand carved ring I've ever seen!. It was sold a couple times and I know you now are its caretaker..

There is,,or was,, a topic on the ring with some good photos etc. I couldn't find it... Maybe,,when you have some extra time you could post photos of this wonderful ring. The detail is amazing,, a super quality ring a real jewelry expert made.

Well hope to see it featured here,, its hallmarks , sides, etc. It is special in the world of hand carved rings ! ..., Thanks , G.

Last edited by Gaspare; 10/21/2021 05:33 AM.
G
G
I'm partners in a motorcycle shop.. It's Fall cleaning so I've been a bit sparse but try to look in at least a couple times a week. We also have Mike Byz,,Dave and Vern if you guys have problems with photos or other things..

I had a couple emails asking about the rest of his SS rings from this topic.. Seems he is selling his most best/prized rings [?] Just remember,,,if the enamel looks flat/matt,,not glassy,,99% of the time its no good..

Happy hunting,,,Be careful guys!

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,477 SS Bayonets
1,760,279 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,755 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Vern, Paul, benten, AntonGrabbe, Seppi, Dave, AndyRose, Documentalist), 415 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod