Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Collectors

Back in the pre internet days,we had Der Gauleiters collectors magazine to read and we raced to the mail box
to get at it!

I believe Bob Treend had it!

The ads,for sale and buying by many early legends! Articles on very good topics and pics!

You can still find them! Who has them?

Prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who would have known!

As collectors we had very little! This was something to look forward in getting!

But some early fakers were also at work! Gordon Manley and the visors!

They had a frog! Der mole or frog or something that folks were trying to find out who it was!

Telling secrets!!!!!!!

Then Manions was the dumping ground for the crapola dealers bought or collectors burned on needed to get rid of!

Many of the printed catalogs were the lifeline to collectors! Which onesdid you read!

Auctions and other venues dumped the crapola as they still do!

Fraud,mistakes all go to such places! Internet names that make us older guys cringe to hear their names!

Snyder, Please add to them!

Epier,ebay,shows,auctions and the list goes on!

Many dealers would make sure their hands were clean,and name!

Now everyone makes mistakes! But how many continue to sell the same thing over and over!

Many do not realize or care! But many collectors and dealers do! The electronic finger print! Called files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knowledge is money a long time collector told me long ago!

We have some real sharp collectors on the forum! And in the past some real real sharp ones!

PVON

Last edited by pvon; 10/13/2021 01:17 AM.
P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I do not collect like I once did! Age,money etc! But I have seen alot and still keep a eye on hobby for fun!

Many people still involved keep me in the loupe!

Now for many well seasoned SS dagger collectors,or SS visors folks,uniforms medal and badges people
have learned very well and you would be hard pressed to fool them!

But

Many do not have that knowledge yet! But some have money to burn and buy stuff they have no knowledge about! Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its called a sucker,pigeon,dumb as!!!!! Many want to believe they found the golden goose! But the goose found them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They bought in hook liner and sinker!!!!!!!!!!!! Like a big fish they swallowed the bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They might believe in a big well known name! Or other names!

Continue

P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Many of the real big names are smooth,very nice, and they seem to be very helpful! Some are legends! And yes they put together some jaw dropping
collections! Stuff the average guy will never get!!!!!!!!!!

Folks that go to a show with something and walk till they get the fish!! Drop the money and later find out! They have been had!!!!!!

You will not see the crap in the big collections! They really do know whats good! If you put something on the tables they know gold from steel!

They might sell something and give a vague descrption of it! It apears to be blah blah! O know! You must look out for those words from a
person thats not prone to those words when they have something!!!!!!!!

So where is the new dumping grounds? Internet military sites going up like weeds! 10 SS uniforms for sale! All from the big units,well decorated!

PVON

P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
How about all the fake SS czech daggers! FJ knives from czech land!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people are being burned at the stake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some continue to sell even after being caught! Looking for fresh meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes many of you won't have a problem! But I hear many do!

If I hear of 1 more Indian hair damascus blade sold! Ihear 2 more are around!! Hint hint!

For god sakes collectors keep your hand on your wallet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's about the money folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No sweat off me but its a deep feeling when you find out the truth!

And yes it makes me ill to say this!

DID YOU FIND IT OR DID IT FIND YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MADE A PURCHASE LATELY? CHECK IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUMPING A mistake is a sick feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!

throwing away thousands and thousands of dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say thousands of dollars!

PVON

P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Its about the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now repeat after me it is about the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone is going to be sick on a sword they purchases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alledgedly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gravity knives! Hello the czech ones are eating people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't let czech SS daggers bite you! post then for a lookie first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pvon; 10/13/2021 01:22 AM.
P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Reminds me of good advice I got yrs ago in the Steel mill!
Payday they had poker games in the plant!

A guy told me if you don't know who the mark is! Its you!!!!!

PVON

G
G
oh there are plenty of fake beauty of Puma fighting knives out there too!!

The stuffs been reproduced since 1946.. The Swastika was outlawed in the 2 Germanies,,I've had catalogs of medals and badges they sold supposedly from real tooling... Daggers too I've always heard about,,,put togethers, outright fantasies, other trumped up pieces.. Its one of the reasons I've always collected the weird, offbeat stuff..
As of about 10 years ago the silver would badges, GAB, IAB, PAB have been copied perfectly. Those who can say they can tell the difference are just bragging or bulls**ting... Be careful what you buy. Know the piece,,,put the time in yourself and don't rely on others CoAs.....

Manions,,yeah plenty of beat stuff,,,but still plenty of good stuff especially in the beginning!

P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Gaspare

True on many fronts! I used Manions as example!

Like any venue or site I would hope they have some real stuff!

Many like to salt the hobby with certain things they bought and found out the stuff is bad!

Others sell on consignment for money! Its hard to make money with overhead,costs,insurance,travel,shows etc!

Its not like the old days and you made a hundred dollars or more off your find!

Thats not enough to cover things! Many resort to taking things they would never buy them self but turn the blind eye
on a listing! If questioned or caught they always say my mistake! I missed it,blah blah!

Some just relist !

But the big ticket items bring in revenue! Makes it hard on the honest dealers or collectors that really try and do it right!

Many dealers need those collections to sell! Hard to drop huge sums on stuff! Consignment is the ticket!

Collectors don't want folks cherry picking!

Many collections are becoming available due to death! My best friend just died! A nitemare for family!

I had been tipped off by lets call them Viper!

Pics,names of the czech stuff roasting collectors for past couple yrs! Dirty deals,passing and the sprinkle like fairy dust of gravity knives,

SMF,lets say but more info has come out and not as easy! But trying! Many don't know but when they find out!!!!!!! They want a refund!

Last week a fake SMF came out on WAF! OOPPS! Removed! Aledged fake! Shows!!!!!!!!! OH my!

PVON

P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
A early nickel Luft sword! Blade removed and a damascus fake blade from India! Now 8500.00

I hear 2 more blades are ready for action! Came from Michigan! Name many would cringe!

Sold! mistake found out! next! then next!

Musical chairs! When the music stop someone has no chair or money!

Names! Yup! story! Yup! You can't make this stuff up!

I remember a big name! Bob Coleman a huge collector that when he started he ended up with 100,000 bad visors! Big money!

He told me! I knew who the seller was! He was taking it to court! I never asked how it turned out!

Musical chairs! Many collectors from the old days know the stories and laugh!

PVON

Moderated by  sellick8302@rogers.com 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,466 SS Bayonets
1,760,275 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,739 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Documentalist, Seppi, Nietzsche, benten, Vern, maybarker), 464 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod