Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
Hello Guys,

I'm looking to buy my first dagger. I really like the look of the 1st Edition Luftwaffe dagger and I'm about purchasing a DLV / LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA.

I'm a complete newbie to this and have done what limited research I can. It seems like a sensible step to ask a few questions here first before going ahead with any purchase.

The description for the dagger reads as -

"This is the rare pattern dagger that is similar to a 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger but has a soft leather scabbard with metal fittings held in place by large staples in the style of the DLV dagger. All early nickel silver hilt fittings are in excellent condition.The blue leather grip is in perfect condition. The mint blade is by Puma Solingen and features there cats head trade mark, the blade is also stamped with an official acceptance stamp. The scabbard is the rare type with a solid leather scabbard shell which is seen only on very early daggers, latter examples will have a leather covered metal scabbard, the metal scabbard fittings are held in place by large metal staples and again this is only seen on very early daggers.The dagger is complete with chain hanger, the lower chain fittings are the special metal S clip type which attaches on to the scabbard fittings, these S clips are only seen on very early daggers and are also the type seen on the very rare DLV 55cm flyer's dagger. A very difficult dagger model to find especially in nice condition. [Condition: Exc++]"

Please see the photos below -

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

My first question is, what is the stamp below the makers stamp? Is it a Waffen amt stamp? Just an early version?

I've tried looking at every picture of a 1st edition dagger that I can but I cannot see that stamp repeated on any other dagger.

Is the dagger legit? I think it is, it seems to be the case but then I have no experience at all.

I've not seen an example with the S clips either. What are your thoughts on the chain?

Any help or information would be gladly received.

Thank you in advance,

** I cannot get the links to work properly. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL. Apologies

Online Content
Looks to be an excellent example of a transitional 1st Luftwaffe dagger. It has a Luft WaffenAmt for inspector number 8. While not common, "S" clips are found on some of the early production daggers.

[Linked Image from germandaggers.com]
Visit us at www.GermanDaggers.com
Contact me at Vern@GermanDaggers.com
Very nice example all correct, ill bet that wasn't cheap knowing the seller Lol

Regards Sean
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

I purchased the dagger, it’s my first piece of any sort of war militaria.

I negotiated on the price and got some money taken off. I may still have paid over the odds, I don’t know. If I did I feel like it was a minimal amount looking at similar items on the web. Regardless, I wanted it and I wanted it now, as long as it’s legit I’m happy to pay a premium.

I’m 33 now and have no intention of ever selling it.

If I’m alive in 50 years time and it’s worth more, it doesn’t matter. I’m never selling it.

F
OP Offline
F
PS - I also bought a tank battle badge for 50 engagements. I hope that’s real too, did some research seems to be.

Then again, I know there are some very good fakes out there, for someone like me it would be impossible to tell a good fake from a real one. I guess at some point you just have to have to roll the dice and have some faith in the dealer.

Online Content
I agree with the others, this is a correct Puma early 1st model Luft dagger. Knowing the seller, I'm sure you paid a considerable sum but you get what you pay for often enough so as long as you're happy with it, good. I'd certainly be happy with it myself.

Small point, I thought transitional DLV daggers didn't have waffenamts but perhaps I'm mistaken or it depends on the maker.

Regarding the 50 engagement Panzer badge, I'd suggest you post some pics on the medal forums. There are excellent fakes out there, just to be able to sleep at night.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
I don't know if I already have a Luftwaffe "8" acceptance marking recorded or not, and will have to check - that said the dagger looks good to me. Best Regards, Fred

J
J
hello ! just to tell you that I have one transitional luft dagger produced by hörster with waffenamted n°5.
This dagger has the inscription " 116 Fl. Sch Hildesheim " on the top odf the scabbar .
best regards from belgium.

J
J
Billy ,
you are right when you write that the dlv daggers don't bear the waffennamt . T Witttman explains in his book "exploring the dress daggers of the german luftwaffe , page 35 ,that the transitional daggers bearing a waffennamt are not dlv but luftwaffe dagger . Also (page 36) , he writes :" sometimes during 1936,the LWaA stampling was changed .The luft edged weapon inspectors used a new stamping character which portrayed a simpler stick bird , normally with a numeral "5" .It was stamped only on the blade ricasso . So , this dagger might be produced before 1936. Hope this clarifies a little bit ...

Online Content
Jean,

I think this dagger was probably produced before 1936 and is a super looking example I'd be happy to own. I was just thinking out loud about whether it was a transitional DLV or an early 1st Luft.

My Weyersberg has the same cardboard scabbard material with staples and S clips but also no waffenamt, so I presumed it was a transitional DLV.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,903 SS Bayonets
1,762,174 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,147 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 04/19/2024 01:46 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/18/2024 08:33 PM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,036
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
12 members (Dean Perdue, derjager, Stephen, Jonesy, Ric Ferrari, Vern, Don Scowen, Dave, stingray, Aaron Buck, Larry C, Documentalist), 584 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod