Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Saw this surfing around.. Funny, and mostly right..

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/worthless-military-memorabilia-14298063

I'd say on the photos they got that one wrong..

But its all relative anyway.. I knew a guy that loved to collect US ration books.. I asked why,,he said,,they are usually a couple dollars and interesting to look at,,IF I lose them a few days later no big deal! crazy

I once saw a guy fork over $100. for a 12" piece of barb wire!,, looked like something I'd find up in the Catskill mountains,,,but he was in love with it.. To each his own............

E
E
Gas
My vidio only showed 5 items. US helmets?? Try to buy a nice original one thats all there.
Barb wire can go for a lot more than $100.
To each his own for sure.
Ed

Online Content
That guy will change his mind when he gets Uncle Joe's Himmler.

I still have my own WWII ration books

You can throw Bugles in there also. The price has not really moved in 20 years.

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Allied or Axis Jim wink

yes the helmets off too!

There was a guy I believe a real early member here that sold Barb wire displays.. I got one as a present actually.. Still hangs in the shop!! Everyone loves it. I'll get a shot of it...

yeah to each their own for sure.. but Beanie Babies is where I'd draw the line grin!,

B
B
Regimental beer steins have hit a new low.Years ago they would easily sell for $300-$500. Now you can buy them for $100-$200, unless it is a Navy or machinegunner. I have around 20-25 of them, I could not even get what I paid for them over 25 years ago.

robert grant
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
BG, yeah your right unless its something really rare/good it just sits. Even at the last MAX they weren't even being offered like they used to be..

This hobby always has its Hots and Nots. Daggers seem to be steady but I don't know about them maybe you guys can weigh in on the market.. In the past years certain items become hot and then get very expensive,,maybe a book will come out on the items, big sales back and forth.

I remember 15 year or so ago it was soldbuchs. They were going for extremely inflated [to me at least] prices. They were everywhere and bringing in the dough.. It was German dog tags for a while. I remember the steins. Helmets took a bit of a hit a while ago when a 'expert' didn't seem to know what he was talking about[?]

Then it was simple badges and medals. Suddenly a GAB or a IAB was bringing crazy money. A simple Russian Front medal in bag or a War Service Cross w Swords same thing,,big money. Then Wound badges... Individual books [monographs] came out for them. Now unless you have a lead one of the postwar souval catch they were all 'rare variants'...

- And,, they all eventually come tumbling down back to common sense prices. Guys were paying $200. for a bagged War Service , they were being collected by maker etc... There were probably a million of them made or at least seemed so. And plenty made directly after the war also,,of all the above mentioned items.. What does a guy do with 50 or so GABs or Mothers Crosses in different makers that he way overpaid on?!

Some bite the bullet and unload and get out. Some just put them away and hopefully learn from their lesson and collect more sensibly. Some get out altogether.

I know every couple years guys start saying its the end of the hobby but now I really think it will be soon... The kids barely learn about it in school nowadays. Without the learning of the history there won't be any interest..

J
J
I dont want to sound like doom and gloom, but Gaspare has a valid point. People have said for years that the bottom is dropping out of militaria, and it did not happen. But things are different now. for the most part, the WWII collectors are baby boomers. Our aunts, uncles moms and dad fought in world war two and we heard all about it growing up. When we were growing up there were a lot of history based TV shows, westerns and WWII shows, like Have Gun Will Travel, The Rebel, Combat, u.s.w. We now know that there wasnt much real history in those shows but the exposure to the subject matter gave us an appreciation of history. The current TV lineup has NOTHING like that now. No weekly westerns or WWII shows like Combat or Rat Patrol or 12 0"clock High. The result is our kids grew up not being regularly exposed to the subject matter. They know almost nothing about it and do not care. If you do not care about a subject matter there is no motivation to collect the stuff. Cowboy action shooting skyrocketed when the baby boomers got to the age where they could afford to buy three or four cowboy guns and dress up. (the dressing up was the most expensive part). Now that the baby boomers are dying off and downsizing, the sport is collapsing. I hope there will always be some interest in WWII, but I am not that confident. Civil war stuff might hold some interest because it was a war that was fought here, but now its becoming "politically incorrect", and I am concerned that the same will happen to WWII items. If you like something and the price is fair, dont be afraid to spend some money, but do not do so with the expectation that your purchase will be an investment. Joe S

G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Great post!:

My old buddy had a fabulous SS cloth collection. All the cuff titles, wraps, caps, tabs.. He smelt this coming 10 years ago and said I'm getting out. We all laughed as he sold his collection very fast.. IF, if he would have waited to even 3 years ago he would have gotten at least 1/4 less if not more.. As of today,,he has a SS dagger and SS arm eagle a family member brought back. It's framed and hangs on his living room wall along with the mention of his Uncles name and unit on it.. He is SO happy with his decision to sell and so so content with this framed 2 pieces..

Freakin Rat Patrol!! I loved that show when I was a kid,,Branded,, F-Troop,,yeah Combat!. Great to have TCM but when is the last time they played Von Ryans Express, Castle Keep, etc... Your right there is nothing historical / history related on TV anymore. Nothing to make the kids ask questions.. It's pablum for the young adult masses...
We can't get into certain discussions here but its mush for the brain, pseudo ethnic, lgbq sit coms for the 'peaceful protesters' for the youngens,, who think a career is being a Waiter or 'hostess', an 'assistant' or a 'blogger!! Think there is a normal 30 year old that can name a concentration camp?, the cities the atomic bomb hit, who were the 2 presidents during the war or even the one after?
Electrical worker, Master Plumbers, Civil Engineers, Family farmers, inventors,,where are they.......

At our shows we can't even have a nazi flag or Hitler bronze displayed. Confederate stuff? forget that.. Things go a certain way election time we'll be lucky to get out shows back at all.......

Online Content
Jeeez, Gaspare, it aint that bad ...

Show us how that W2 motorcycle is coming along laugh

Dave

Online Content
If you can, wait another 20 years. The 100th anniversary celebration will do for WW2 what the 1960s did for relics of the Civil War and 2014/15 did for WW1 memorabilia wink

[Linked Image from germandaggers.com]
Visit us at www.GermanDaggers.com
Contact me at Vern@GermanDaggers.com
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thats some wait Vern! wink

- Dave.,,, Still looks exactly the same..
During WW2 the Allies needed a bike that was a certain weight, could haul a certain weight. Could maintain a certain speed, good center of gravity, easy to repair, few parts as possible. Harley, Indian, Triumph, BSA and others made and entered their bikes.... This Triumph TRW 500cc Flathead model won!!. They got the contract... Unfortunately,, a short time after winning the Allied contract they got bombed,,,and bombed bad.. It was over and the 2nd place bike was put in production. The H-D. WLA 750cc Flahthead. A great bike! I owned one for many years in various forms [chopper, flat tarck racer ,etc.]
- * There is another story about this model!
That it was designed in 1943 for use in the war effort. However by the time the bike was finished, the war was over and so Triumph was left with a surplus of bikes. I never really checked in to it hard. But,,there are a few model registries and so far I haven't seen a wartime bike or even a late 40s...

anyway,,,Few years after the war Triumph factory was in full production again but went with the new 'Overhead valve' motor. Yes, much faster, higher top end etc.

But the tooling for the TRW was in perfect condition so they made a limited run for a few years. Most went to Canada and the Netherlands... Parts now are extremely hard to find. Took me a year to find a rear ammo can rack! Then they wouldn't send to the US.. actually had a forum member buy it for me and send. This piece was wrapped in its 1950 wrapping and had to be repainted etc. The bike will never look new and beautiful. It is worth the most as a UNrestored original running motorcycle.. So,,it still needs a piece or 2. Major piece coming end of month.
Its very easy to kickstart which is important for me as most kick start bikes have them on the right side,,and my right hip has already been replaced.. Runs on the worst of gasoline. Few moving engine parts. Does approx 70 mph with me on it. I give it a couple mile ride every week or so. I rarely have to travel more than 30 mile or so during my week . In another month it will be my daily runner except when the snow is on the ground.

Great mechanical site:

https://tdvma.blogspot.com/2013/02/triumph-trw-cylinder-en-kleppen.html

* Here is a fully restored example. a 57. It is selling for $10K,,doesn't run nor does it have a proper title!.

4a.jpg (76.82 KB, 44 downloads)
G
Gaspare Offline OP
OP Offline
G

- Mine,,, , I've just cleaned it up a bit after these photos and looks fine.

I also pick up anything related for it thats period. This user book is excellent,,,first generation line drawings, photos etc.!

1a2.JPG (81.91 KB, 45 downloads)
2a.JPG (83.01 KB, 45 downloads)
3.JPG (71.23 KB, 44 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 09/03/2020 06:19 AM.
Online Content
Cool

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,527 SS Bayonets
1,760,292 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,769 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
15 members (benten, C. Wetzel-20609, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern, The_Collector, Documentalist, Honestmike, Baz69, Simone, Nietzsche, Stephen, JonathanC, Tanker), 380 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod