Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JoeW Offline OP
OP Offline
The German Railway Detectives- the Reichsbahn Fahndungs Dienst (RBFD)*

The Dienstmarke (Identity Disc):

Recently discovered is an example of a previously unknown identity disc for the Reichsbahn Fahndungs Dienst. The disc measures 45mm in diameter, is of iron alloy and minted like the Third Reich police Dienstmarken. The magnetic disc is marked on one side with the national emblem and on the other with the words Reichsbahn/ Fahndungs/ Dienst in three lines. This example has been de-nazified apparently for post-WWII usage or by an owner who disliked viewing the swastika. The surface shows some pitting from rust corrosion. In my experience with German police discs, it has been obvious that reproductions of those discs of high iron content such as those for the Gemeinde Kriminalpolizei and Geheime Staatspolizei of late issue are never to be found as the iron content has proved to be too difficult to duplicate. Notice how the font of this disc is identical to the font used in the Zoll Fahndungs Dienst discs that have been in collectors hands for some years and never duplicated.

According to noted Dienstmarken researcher Joachim Streckwaldt, a Dienstmarke was created for the Imperial Prussian Bahnpolizei sometime after 1882. This disc featured the Royal Prussian flying eagle on one side above the name of the respective Prussian EIsenbahn Direktion and on the other side the words ?Polizei Beamter F?r Einsenbahn Interessen?. This style disc was used through WWI; and, with the creation of the Weimar Republic, the design was modified from the Imperial Prussian eagle to the Prussian State eagle. But the wording on the opposite side of the disc remained the same. In 2003, a disc bearing the same language and an issue number but with a Third Reich State eagle on the reverse side was discovered. Upon discovery, It was believed that this was an example of the Reichsbahn Fahndungsdienst Dienstmarke. But as it bears the text of all previous ?Bahnpolizei? discs, is there anything to substantiate this belief.

But now we have a obvious period disc of material not suitable to reproduction or fakery that displays the proper state seal and language suitable for a disc of the Reichsbahn Fahndungs Dienst of the Third Reich.

Background:

With the memories of early victories of 1939, 1940 and 1941, the Germans faced the growing problem of strangers in their country: prisoners of war, conscripted labor and displaced persons and German soldiers AWOL. The Reichs Sicherheits Hauptamt (RSHA) saw in the RBFD a natural ally and source of additional manpower for its growing role of policing the homeland. The RBFD was created in 1928 along with the Reichs Bahnpolizei as the two police branches of the nationalized German railroads. The Bahnpolizei was of course the uniformed police force charged with maintaining law and order on railroad property and trains. The RBFD was charged with the investigation and elimination of theft and white collar crime against the Reichsbahn.

But with the increasing difficulty of investigating all manner of crimes within the Reich, the RFSS Himmler saw the RBFD as another tool in control of the populations. Beginning in 1943, the RFSS began negotiations with the Reichsverkehrsministerium (RVM), the Reich Transport Ministry, to bring the RBFD into its sphere of control. Decrees were published in March and April 1943 that allowed the RSHA control of members of the RBFD to assist in the investigation of political or other crimes. As such, the specialized training of its agents and the selection of equipment and personnel was controlled by the RSHA. The RBFD became a Hilfs-Polizei of the RSHA.

In March of 1944, another decree further cemented the RSHA control of the RBFD, further defining the specific areas of jurisdiction as well as incorporating new identification for RBFD agents. The decree specifically authorizes the recall of all former round RBFD identity discs. This recall must be for the steel Reichsbahn Fahndungs Dienst Marke. In place of the round RBFD dics, Dienstmarken similar in design to the Kriminalpolizei Dienstmarken were to be issued, in same size, metal color and with the same eagle on the side. On the other side was to be the word ?Reichsbahnfahndungsdienst?. In addition, an Ausweis similar in design to the Kripo Ausweis was authorized. To date, no example of this Dienstmarke or Ausweis has surfaced.

-Information for this article was sourced from the SHAEF manual ?The German Police?, period Ministerialbl?tter d. R.u. P.M.d.I. and the website of Joachim Streckwaldt at http://ausweismarke.de/4579.html

*Fahndung is a term of varying interpretation. Most interpretations of the Reichsbahn service are a criminal investigation service. But the SHAEF manual discusses the Fahndung as a search for wanted persons.

RB2.jpg (46.51 KB, 75 downloads)
RB1.jpg (44.65 KB, 74 downloads)
Last edited by JoeW; 07/08/2019 04:45 AM.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557
I learn something new almost every day.

Thanks, Joe, for showing this.

Dave

G
G
Wow, what a find! , Iron alloy,,,must have played hell on the die.. And a large tonnage capacity on the press! A 3 digit number,,do you know how high the upper limit was? 4 digit?

Really nice,,,hope its yours Joe wink

JoeW Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Dave, thanks Gaspare. Yes, I couldn't believe my eyes when I found it on Weitze. And it was far from an big ouch, if you know what I mean, I think because it was de-nazified. The weight at 31.3 gms is greater than the high iron content Gestapo and Gemeindekripo discs, Like the RSHA discs, these had to be produced at the Prussian mint in Berlin where the Reichs Transport Ministry was also located like the RSHA headquarters. As this is the first that has turned up, I have no idea of the quantity produced. Only that there were 31 Reichsbahn Direktions plus the General Gouvernment. Ten or fifteen RBFD agents each would be 320 to 480, but I have no source documentation other than the March 1944 order recalling round RBFD discs to be replaced by a new design. As I wrote, no example of the new design disc or ausweis has surfaced. And this example of the round RBFD was presumably used in post-war circumstances as it was de-nazified like RSHA discs used in post-war West Germany.

Perhaps this example can be added to the pinned Dienstmarken reference post. Also, I noticed now that some of the punctuation and font/highlighting used in the text I copied and pasted was not recognized in this program context. Can I be given temporary editing power to make corrections, as editing is lost after a short time?

Last edited by JoeW; 07/09/2019 04:11 PM.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,093 SS Bayonets
1,762,266 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,225 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
NSKK Dolch fur Führer, Eickhorn
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 04/20/2024 06:37 AM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 03:14 AM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 02:44 AM
Frog question.
by Vern - 04/20/2024 12:27 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,045
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stephen, ollar, Documentalist, jean, Don Scowen, benten), 777 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod