Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
One of my relatives donated a Brooklyn Dodgers Team Signed Baseball to us. It has Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese plus a bunch of other players on it. I need to find a recognized expert to tell me what year it's from, authenticate the signatures and evaluate it before I put it up for auction or sale.

E
E
One of my side hobbys is collecting autographed hall of famers baseballs. I have a couple old team balls and lots of books on autographs. I will try and help.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
E
E
they played together from 1947-1956. Need more signatures to pin it down

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
OP Offline
I think I can make out Gil Hodges. I'll ask my wife to try to read the signatures. The previous owner's kids were pretty rough on the ball.

E
E
Its like everything. Condition is everything. If its from the 40 or 50s all the signatures should be in founton pen. I have a 55 chicago team ball that is in black founton pen.

OP Offline
I fully expect to get low balled due to the mistreatment of this ball. All the signatures are in fountain pen.
Here's what my wife can make out.
John or Jim Hughes
Bes Wade
Russell ?
Billy C?
Carl Cae?
Chuck Dreis?
J? Black
Wayne ?
The Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese and Gil Hodges are relatively clear.
Neither of us know anything about MLB, so that makes this difficult.
She just found Russ Mayer, Meyer or Moyer. I searched Russ Meyer, he played for the Dodgers 1953,54 & 55.

Last edited by Notaguru; 09/04/2017 04:12 AM.
E
E
Its 53 or 54 wade wasnt with them in 55

E
E
i think its 1953. Its Jim Hughes...Ben Wade...Rus Meyer...Billy Loes...Carl Erskine...Chuck Dressen...Joe Black...Wayne Bellardi...The key signers will be Hodges...Meyer...Reese...Furillo...Snider///Robinson...Campanella...Erskine..Gilliam. With Campanella being the biggest. He was MVP that year

OP Offline
Thank you so much for taking the time to help us with this. It was donated for our 2017 Fundraiser, now to find out the value. It's a shame my Cousin's kids played a few games with it.
Brian Rich
"A Grateful Nation Inc."

OP Offline
I spent some time today doing a search on 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers Team Signed Baseballs. The prices range from $200 to $15,000. This looks like more of a minefield than swords and daggers. Most have COA's attached, I've seen enough games played with them. One ball looks like it was signed by a felt tipped pen, it has a COA. I'm not sure what I'll do with this.

M
M
hi notaguru
i can add a little information to your base ball signitures of the bklyn dodgers my favorite team i cryed when they left bklyn and i never followed them to los angeles my heart was too broken at the time many great ball players were on this team i remember them all as i was born in bklyn i can say this as a little boy with my friends we used to go in back of ebbets field where the players would come out of the locker room and sign our base balls for at least half hour they spent with us kids and never asked for one red cent those players were true to the sport not like today then when leaving they told the bat boy to sign the rest i made sure i had carl ferrilo right fielder my favorite and the duke sign my base ball dont know what ever happned to my signed base balls lost to time bottom line i loved my bklyn bums hope this helps you god bless those bklyn bums and every one else that was real base ball have a great day and thanks for the fondest memories andy militarynut

OP Offline
I remember being told that someone in the family went to the Dodgers training camp back in the 50's and came back with the ball. It sat neglected until my cousin's kids found it 20 years ago. Not realizing that it had any collector value, they took it outside and used it.
As much as I was disappointed, I remember what we all did with our Father's war trophys in the 50's and 60's. If we had only had crystal balls?

M
M
hi notaguru
back then items from base balls signed gloves bats comic books marbles
we had a baseball card machine for a nickle we could buy mickey mantle yankee rookie cards made by bowman co we used to put them on our bickle wheels spokes made a lot of noise it didnt mean much at the time so we enjoyed these items now they are collectble and worth some money and yes militaria dime a dozen you name it we played war with the real deal ouch ouch great memories thanks again andy militarynut

OP Offline
Here's whatI have, 23 signatures of the 1953 team, including Chuck Dresser, the manager. I'm going up to NYC to meet with a Brooklyn Dodgers collector. I'll post photos and his estimate when I come back.

M
M
hi notaguru
sounds like you have a real winner 1953 signed baseball from the bklyn bums boy that brings back many memories from the past along with how so many americans in that age didnt have much money but the best thing we had in those days was respect for one another and honor our commitments not like in todays world just terrible im glad im on my way out not in best of luck i hope you score big god bless have a safe trip and safe holiday merry christmas andy militarynut

OP Offline
Well I took the ball up to NYC and showed it to an advanced collector. I was bracing myself for the normal trashing collectors usually give when examining anothers goods, but got a real surprise. He not only liked it, he loved it. He said the ball is over 60 years old and has wear to match, these were never meant to put on a shelf. They were usually give away to kids who then played with them. The fact that all the signatures are legible and all the big names were there was a real boost.
Now to find an interested buyer.

M
M
hi notaguru
i am very happy for you to hear the bklyn bums signed baseball was a big hit guess this guy knows his base ball signitures im sure he will find a buyer for your great bklyn dodgers base ball history god bless merry christmas to you and family andy militarynut

OP Offline
Finally, after 2 years of showing this baseball to collectors a, dealer and Auction Houses, I have factual proof of what it is. Unfortunately for me it's not good.
Until the early 70's autographed baseballs had little value. Back in the 50's the Brooklyn Dodgers actually had a Batboy who could copy players signature almost exactly, Charlie DiGiovanna. He was required to sign at least 72 balls a week during the season. Heritage Auctions has a complete write up on these balls, photos of maybe a dozen just like mine. Charlie "The Brow" must have made hundreds of these in his career. Heritage tells me that they are collectible none the less, just not in the League of ones signed by the players themselves.
I'm glad I found out before I sold it as original.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,260,996 SS Bayonets
1,759,986 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,273 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Imperial Navy daggers
by Baz69 - 03/16/2024 11:46 AM
Nazi pennon?
by Stephen - 03/16/2024 10:45 AM
Helmets to Pots...
by Fitzer - 03/15/2024 09:53 PM
Tank Tread Skull Ring
by Stephen - 03/14/2024 06:34 PM
Some Rings
by Gaspare - 03/11/2024 11:36 PM
Latest New Posts
Private purchase skull rings
by Gaspare - 03/19/2024 12:04 AM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/18/2024 09:19 PM
Some Rings
by Gaspare - 03/18/2024 01:58 PM
Euthanasia'
by Dave - 03/18/2024 12:11 PM
M40 helmet info.
by Dutchman - 03/17/2024 03:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,643
Posts328,600
Members7,494
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ilya, Ric Ferrari, Documentalist, atis, AntonGrabbe), 276 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod