Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#331400 08/29/2017 07:43 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Any members from the hurricane area? Hoping all are safe and sound...

Mike (aka Byzanti) #331421 08/30/2017 08:14 PM
G
G
I know the feeling,,I've lost my home twice in the last 7 years. Last time I had 5 feet of water in my home.. It's devastating. I still greatly appreciate all the help and prayers from the members here.
With losing their home and most possessions its the post traumatic stress later that really gets you!

I know everyone says don't trust the Redcross, and don't donate.. But I just donated $100..
They came by and fed me and my workers [6 guys] for over a month after the event twice a day!

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/30/2017 08:14 PM.
Gaspare #331439 08/31/2017 03:30 AM
Looks pretty rough out that way, hope for the best.

Alot of folks are slamming the mayor for not ordering mandatory evacuations but I think its obvious that if he had, the death toll and misery would have been just as bad if not worse.
Simply no way to move 1,000,000's of people out of harms way in a matter of days.

Doug
Skynyrd #331471 09/01/2017 12:32 PM
S
S
Skynyrd,
You are correct. A lot of second guessing. Its infuriating. Seems the networks want to create negative news when there isn't a story there. Having been through 4 hurricanes here in the Houston area, I can honestly say that the preparedness of authorities and quality of direction was the best yet. That is from the local all the way to the federal level. We learned from Rita and Ike. During Rita, a voluntary evacuation was issued. The media scared the hell out of everyone like superstorm this and killer that...You can imagine that many people hitting the roadways at the same time. It was gridlock for 100s of miles in all directions. Literally standing still. No fuel, food, water or shelter. Medical assistance was not able to get to these folks and they spent the Hurricane in their cars. Many died on the freeways. It also hampered first responders from outside the region to get to the hardest hit areas as all lanes had been opened to be outbound.

In terms of loss of property and life, Harvey was the worst one yet due to the massive flooding and being so slow moving. It was heart warming to see complete strangers come together to rescue victims with their own boats, vehicles and equipment. They weren't whining about the lack of State and Federal assistance. They rolled up their sleeves and got to work. The real work begins now. The number of displaced persons and loss of homes is unprecedented. However, the spirit of Texans is strong and I am certain it will come back even more vibrant than before. That was what we certainly observed when Galveston was devastated by Ike. We want to thank some fine folks from Louisiana that came to assist, returning the favor from Katrina. Unfortunately, they have their own problems with Harvey now.

As for myself, I live on the outskirts of Houston to the north in a relatively hilly region. Other than downed very large trees that fortunately missed our home we were blessed. I bit the bullet and had a 48kw whole house generator installed last year and also had my own water well dug. We are pretty self sufficient in the event emergencies and the misery factor was nill. The generator payed off in this storm. However, many friends weren't so fortunate. Sky is blue today, chainsaws are busy and back up generators are humming. The clean-up begins.

Wanted: German Naval Edged Weapons and Related Accouterments
stratocaster3 #331525 09/02/2017 09:42 PM
G
G
Glad you got thru fine Strat!
The news people are the worst. One was just saying was that it will be many months before things go back to normal crazy Many months?!

Myself,,well I'm on my 5th year after the flood and finally next month things will begin and in about another year we'll be pretty close to normal again,,, or normal for me at least wink

It will be years before things back to normal for them.. These coming days for them will be the worst. The funerals, home gone,,Car/truck gone,,possessions gone. It's a terrible feeling.. There will be many cases of PTS coming..

Lets all say some prayers for them.. IF it was a bit closer I'd go volunteer to help.
Donations will help. They are asking for cash donations.. IF you can't give cash I see many spots even by me here in NY collecting food,water,blankets.clothes,,anything will help..

Well again glad you got thru it safe Strat.. We're already worrying about Irma stopping by us frown . Mother nature can be a MFer sometimes..

Gaspare #331558 09/04/2017 01:07 AM
S
S
Thanks Gaspar. You are right, it takes years to recover from these kinds of events. Parts of New Orleans have never recovered from Katrina and that was what about 8 years ago?
Best

Wanted: German Naval Edged Weapons and Related Accouterments
stratocaster3 #331566 09/04/2017 03:48 AM
G
G
Strat3,,,Katrina was in 2005!! and yes they are still recovering.. SuperStorm Sandy was 5 years ago and my town is no where close to being anything even close to what it was,,,and might never fully recover..

Gaspare #331569 09/04/2017 04:46 AM
Most people have no concept at all the dynamics of a mass evacuation.

I was in Slidell the year before Katrina and we had a potentially lethal hurricane roll in that year too.
Had some cousins nearby and they called and said they were going to TX and advised I come along with them, I thanked them but turned them down.
Didn't want to abandon my friends just because I could [we were doing work in NO stadium, about 8 of us from Detroit],, And I must say, part of me wanted to find out what its like to ride out a hurricane.
The day before it hit I went out to stock up, had a very tough time finding basic items like water, batteries, duct tape ect. Was coming back from a home depots on the freeway that turns into a causeway outside of Slidell, traffic going the other way was literally bumper to bumper for miles and miles, further than the eye could see - I was literally the only vehicle going the other direction and that made me think hmmm, maybe I should call the cuz and see if I can still get out.

People were already running out of fuel and off the side of the road, I thought naw, I'll take my chances rather than get into a cluster like that. I saw prisons and hospitals being evacuated, and they made the same announcements to scrawl your social security number on your arm so your body can be ID'ed if you choose to stay.
Later that night I was by lake Ponchartrain and it must have swelled up a good 4 or 5 ft in as many hours, that made me really respect and appreciate and dread the power of the approaching system.

Was drawing a bullseye on us but luckily for us it took a last hour jog to the east and the panhandle got the worst of it.
Still pretty intense, I got stone drunk that night but recall leaning full weight into the wind and I couldn't fall down.

But from that I easily understood why the next year they couldn't simply evacuate everyone from New Orleans, no more than Houston, LA or Philadelphia. [Detroit, maybe - We have nothing but roads and freeways leading in every direction, and no where near the population density]

Wish you guys the best, so far seems like a very good example of fortitude in the face of extreme adversity, almost of a par with Japanese after their natural disasters.
Doesn't appear to have been mass looting and general social dysfunction like NO ,,, Seems like infrastructure there during Katrina just totally evaporated leaving survival of the meanest, whereas it stayed largely intact in TX.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 09/04/2017 04:48 AM.

Doug
Skynyrd #331750 09/14/2017 02:43 AM
J
J
I feel for you guy's, hurricane's bite. Sorry.

JRS

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,539 SS Bayonets
1,760,306 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,777 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (seany, Tanker, The_Collector, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Documentalist, OWN, C. Wetzel-20609, benten, Simone, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern), 347 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod