Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hello guys two weeks ago a local TV news agency brought a camera to an antique mall and focused a story when they found some "Nazi" items in a display case. This seller had been there for awhile and only had a few German items spread among other smalls. Fallout such that dealers can no longer display Third Reich items. All was okay until bad press. Even spread to other antique markets miles away. Does anyone here feel that the well deserved bad press specific to the tragedy in Charlottesville will have negative impact on the collecting community and potential negative press for the upcoming Max show? I myself feel that there could be a potentially negative impact with negative fallout that could effect the market and collecting community for a time to come.

G
G
Great topic Ryan!

- when there's big money involved it's not that easy...

But your on to something for sure!!..
Really, at the MAX your not allowed to display Nazi flags. Dealers usually keep them folded up neatly on their tables.
But a few get away flying/displaying them!

- Don't think it will affect the market..
Show problems - Depends on the press. They can and sometimes do make a mountain out of a molehill!. They'll maybe try and 'shame' us. "oh how can you guys collect hate material"! 'They are a bunch of neo-nazis', 'We should be ashamed of ourselves'. THEN maybe they;ll try playing hardball. Imagine coming to the MAX and there's 100 protesters there!!

We've got to play it right! Get Veterans involved [from all wars/conflicts] . Our pride that we [all the nations] got together and won because we were the 'Allies'. IF things start to get 'crazy' we'll have to play every angle we can.... What the rest of you guys think??

M
M
I don't think the shows will have protesters, mostly because these really aren't "in your face" public. They are indoors, with nothing whatsoever on the signage, press, or flyers that indicates nazism. You have to line up and wait your turn- then pay money to go inside- then go down the aisles, then spot your grandfather and his brothers wearing their "world war 2" veterans sidecaps with all their pins- behind them maybe there's a party flag or three... I think the protests are focused on the monuments (where you have to drive by everyday, or eat lunch in front of, or the white nationalists demonstrating on a public street that is very intentionally public)... I think the places our shows are, they're quite perfect- the communities there understand and appreciate history for what it is, not what it can be twisted or convoluted to represent. Eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania , northern West Virginia and northern Kentucky are very unique in the sense that we really don't have a great number of "offernsive" monuments; we have a tremendous amount of respect for our military, our fighting men, our veterans- gong all the way back to the civil war. History here is very popular! Sure, there will always be voices here or a comment there... I see the shows as an opportunity to teach and learn, and that's all I've seen there myself. Imho It's a very low form of communication to walk up to someone you don't know concerning an object you know very little about then proceed to vomit judgement about the entire character of that person (or group). Spewing brazen, whiny condemnations rooted in uninformed opinion is something my 5 year old does about baths and broccoli. (Please note- last two thoughts are intentionally written to be applied to hate groups and protestors!)... I dont think that stuff applies to any of us, consider what you decided to do today- you're learning about history when you're reading these forums! We are, imho, above the fray around us. Let's all act like it at the shows and in public- and we will be fine for generations.

The day after the riot, the hits on my web site doubled. I assume those were people looking for anything to make a stink over. I received no feedback but there is definitely a witch hunt atmosphere right now. On the other hand in a week or so the press will swarm after something else and we will be forgotten.

M
M
I agree... I'm guessing both sides added to the traffic, plus a lot of curious onlookers. I'm glad all of these folks lose interest in us once they see it neither promotes nor challenges any of the agendas they're so excited to yell about. I'm hoping to join a protest again these damn Japanese beetles. They are positively ruining my hedges. I'll be picketing my picket fence this afternoon.

S
OP Offline
S
I attended a weekly antique market in Toronto today and the organizers have circulated a flyer to all dealers that bans any display or sale of Nazi/Third Reich items. The dealers are not amused. cheers

Had a Rebel flag sticker on my truck scraped off and replaced with a rainbow sticker, which of course I promptly ripped off.
My truck sits up high and its not easy to get to the back window, they had to climb on my tool box to do it, that takes some gall.
If I slapped a "Make America Great Again" sticker on my truck I have no doubt I'd have my tires slashed, these leftists smell blood and are out to milk their propaganda for everything it is worth.
They are mostly vandals, anarchists and latter day commies still living in moms basement, and all the time in the world to ponder what mischief they can cause.

Doug
G
G
Doug,,, In some states messin with a guys pick-up truck can get you the death penalty! wink

They don't sound too bright, bet with a little creative thinking you'd catch the MFers! But do you really want to? , might get you sent on a little un wanted vacation! whistle

Now they are messing with Gen. Lee at West Point Academy... It's up north! he attended there before he was a Confederate!.. And,,They took down 2 bronze placks in NYC last week because they were for Gen.Lee planting a tree there over a 100 years ago. When does it all stop? confused

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/21/2017 05:40 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted By: Gaspare

Now they are messing with Gen. Lee at West Point Academy... It's up north! he attended there before he was a Confederate!.. And,,They took down 2 bronze placks in NYC last week because they were for Gen.Lee planting a tree there over a 100 years ago. When does it all stop? confused

These days you might be 'transferred' if your name is Robert Lee;

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/msesp...fending-idiots/

Last edited by Serge (aka Wagner); 08/24/2017 04:48 PM.
G
G
Serge,,man thats crazy,,and a Asian dude at that..

It never ends.. Now in NYC, on 59th st. is 'Columbus Circle'. Nice area,,its where you catch the horse and buggy rides, the Plaza Hotel is there, etc.
Well in the center real high up is a big bronze statue of C. Columbus. Well ole Chris after being there probably 100 years got himself on the dreaded 'review' list!! Some want to take him down and the area renamed,,,because of his treatment of our native Indians. True he killed many and enslaved many. EVERY explorer did things to the indigenous they shouldn't have.

Maybe they all are right and I'm all *****ed up!. We should re write history to only have the 'true' and 'innocents', the nice fair guys in our history books for the kids to learn...

The trees will like it,, it will be so thin the whole worlds history wouldn't be but a few pages... crazy

Odd, seems to me that in most urban centers its the Martin Luther Kind Blvd and Rosa Parks St that are most prone to violence, I am certain that is the case in Detroit - Maybe we should petition for a name change to stop the violence !

Doug
M
M
Imho it all has very little to do with history... I think it's the result of generational entitlement, probably beginning with the "me" generation of the 70s and 80s ... there was a book back then called "the culture of narcissism" that predicted a vacuuming and sanitizing phase... the kids today, parents, and even grandparents are so self-obsessed, measuring everything they come in contact with against how it relates to or affects themselves and their own existence. They seek out people things and ideas that mirror or amplify their own exaggerated view of themselves, and shun or ban anything that offends THEIR sensibilities. THEY don't like it, THEY think it's wrong or bad- to hell with historical context. The only context that's important to them is how THEY view it right now. I look up "narcissistic rage" to see what happens next... oh wait- we've seen it. Kicking a bronze statue. (I'll take the special snowflake if he's offended over Mayweather any day.)

E
E
Mike
You hit the nail right on the head.
I think it all started when parents stopped spanking the kids and gave them time outs. The parents tried to be there kids best friends, not there parents. I do believe this will soon get to our hobby. These people will never stop, just change what they are crying about. All they have in there lives is to gripe about something.
Sad it is,
Ed

While I agree with the gist of what Mike said as a general statement on a couple of the many ills inflicting this nation in general and western society in particular, I'll have to disagree as that being a cause of the topic of this thread.

These [largely minority] left wingnuts have been indulged, patronized, obliged and put on a pedestal these past 8 year by Obama and his minions, and they thought for sure that Hillary would be even better for handouts and open borders.
Their self centered hopes, dreams and fantasies were rudely shattered with the populist victory of Trump [thank God], and now they are pretty much just acting out in tantrums, much as a child handed a cookie that suddenly got yanked away.

Tough love is the only cure, will be interesting to see how the next few left wing riots, which we know are sure to come, are handled.
Of course, that is supposed to be more a local matter than federal, but Obama sure had no problem sticking his nose in just about every single incident that inflamed his voting base.

Doug
Online Content
I was hoping that this could be discussed without much in the way of politics or insults.

That did not seem to happen

Topic closed .... and gone in 2-3 days

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,924 SS Bayonets
1,763,196 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,905 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/27/2024 04:45 PM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,076
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (Stephen, Mikee, Documentalist, Texasuberalles, The_Collector, Ric Ferrari, Dave, C. Wetzel-20609, Billy G.), 627 guests, and 116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod