Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
schloss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey guys, new member here, I've spent the last week or so researching Honor Rings. I'm looking to get the most accurate, awesome superfake reproduction ring out there (to wear). I've Googled, but generally people talk about price:value ratio, so I haven't been able to stumble on any other topic quite like this.

In my case, I don't really care what I spend, I just want the most authentic ring I can get. Custom engraving doesn't matter to me at all -- I like the story that can come with the original name.

I'd love to hear what you guys think best fits this criteria. In the meantime, let me share what I think are the top contenders -- without actually having seen any of them in person.

1. The Meyer SS Honor Ring from http://www.sshonorring.com/meyer_original.php. This ring looks great, at least in the pictures posted. Don Boyle said good things about it in 2012. I don't know if anything has changed since then.
Also cool is that you can have it made out of coin silver (less than 900), from real Reichsmarks, or 925 silver. I don't know it it would look funny with coin silver though.

2. The High end SS Honor Ring from PZG (http://pzg.biz/jewelry_ss_honor_rings_high_end.html). It only has one picture, but has such a hefty pricetag it has to be good... right?
One interesting thing I noticed about this ring, is that they say a size 10.5 ring weighs 13 grams. Does anyone know the weight of a real ring in around that size?
Also, apparently the Sharkhunters head honcho wears a PZG ring.

3. Harpur's rings. I know he makes good rings, but the totenkopf on the front just doesn't look right to me. Definitely the best bang for your buck, but that isn't what I'm looking for here.

So, who do you guys think makes the "best" ring for these purposes? Does it matter if the ring is cast or die struck? Of the three I listed to get started, Harpur is the only one that uses a die stuck technique.

Hi and welcome here!

I don`t know if you have seen it, we still have a similar thread here:

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=302856#Post302856

�Eine gewaltt�tige, herrische, unerschrockene, grausame Jugend will ich. Jugend muss das alles sein. Schmerzen muss sie ertragen. Es darf nichts Schwaches und Z�rtliches an ihr sein. Das freie, herrliche Raubtier muss wieder
aus ihren Augen blitzen."
S
schloss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Odal, I have actually been following that thread closely, but that seems to be more about "best value" ring, and wanting a personalized inscription -- which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I did PM Evgeniy asking about the ring he posted, but no response yet smile

G
G
That Meyer ring is one good looking copy.... Before you buy [from anyone] ask for a current photo of one of the rings. 99% of them are from a rubber mold of some sort. They wear out after many are made and then a new mold has to be made!
IF you go with the Meyer I'd want it out of the 'coin' silver!

The Pzg ad shows 5 HR and each one has a different skull. What do they sell exactly? an early and late pattern ring?

Hapurs has a nicer/cleaner looking band. Ask him about the skull as he might be able to accommodate you..

Last edited by Gaspare; 02/27/2015 02:59 AM.
O
O
Hi,

I realize that this is an older thread however I would like to say that I recently purchased the "Meyer" honor ring, (I purchased the full package, ring and documentation) and it is EXACTLY as described and photographed in the pictures on the website. I was beyond satisfied as I has my doubts as to the quality, however I was totally amazed when I received it. It cannot recommend this particular ring more highly. I would suggest anyone looking for an exact duplicate from an original mold to purchase this package.

I am not affiliated with sshonorring.com in any way whatsoever, and did considerable research online into the most accurate reproduction available anywhere today. If it is good enough for Don Boyle, then I had to have it. I have to say, get this ring. You will be amazed.

Marc.

M
M
WOW... I just hope no dishonest person ever gets their hands on this is all I say...
But amazing! Quite cool..

O
O
Well as it is a Meyer specific ring, I think that any individual trying to sell this as an original would be hard pressed to do so as you can clearly attribute it back to the sshonorring site. You never know what lengths unscrupulous individuals will go to though. Myself, I think that this ring is clearly above the standards of all others.

O
O
[/URL]

My recently purchased ring....

beautiful looking honor ring! i wish it was more in the same ballpark as harpurs ring at 80 USD. $225 For the meyer ring is a little too pricy. And $275 for the whole package as you got.

Last edited by goodtimes; 05/01/2017 04:57 AM.

By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise.
O
O
Yes, I paid the $275 USD for the full Panzer Meyer presentation package. I believe, but I may be wrong, that the silver weight alone would justify this cost. The ring is cast in solid silver. I personally feel that the quality of this entire presentation package including the ring is worth the price charged. I have looked at Harpurs rings, and in my humble opinion, this ring far exceeds the quality of his...my opinion only.

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
Or stop pretending and buy a real one to wear if you must wear one.......

Last edited by chris12559; 05/01/2017 12:29 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted By: chris12559
Or stop pretending and buy a real one to wear if you must wear one.......

What??
Like your going to wear a 10-15k artifact every day and risk damage, loss, and abuse.
Maybe you have that kind of money but even if I did I wouldn't put the wear and tear on a historical object.jmo

Last edited by Dean Perdue; 05/01/2017 02:14 PM.
C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
You can get them for way less than "10-15k" ......iv seen rings 15-2000 for a rough one , there are lots of rings in the 5-8 range...... And who really cares what you do with it I know people who have boxes full of rings and hide them in a dark place to look at them every once and awhile and a person who wears a ring every now and then, and I know several people who wear an sshr every day.....whatever makes you happy I say.....

really chris you've seen them for $1500-2000? with authenticity certificate? never seen that!
but i would like to see both rings put side by side if possible.
i know harpurs ring is solid silver as well for $80
i mean don't get me wrong Oberst39...it looks amazing! and i would like one as well..but wondering if its really worth the extra cash
a side by side picture would help if anyone owns both

cheers

By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise.
I have notice the "slight" skull differences on the Harpur ring vs. other SS Honor Rings. I to would like to see an up-close skull comparison on the "Harpur" and other rings like the "Meyer" ring.

Dollars to donuts Harpur's rings are still by far the best-bang-for-the-buck, and you get a custom engraving to your liking too!

Last edited by johnnyrocket; 05/01/2017 05:55 PM.

Natural Born American Citizen
American Patriot
U.S. Army Vet. 1969-'71 Spc.5 Field Artillery Crewman
Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!
O
O
I agree that a side by side comparison would certainly be very interesting to see. As well, one of the factors that led me to purchasing this package was the fact that an example was sent to Don Boyle for his review and he gave it an extremely good review. (Dons review can be seen on the website for this ring). Also, I was interested in the documentation that is provided with the ring, notably the Himmler signed presentation certificate in the folder which is aged accordingly. It just added to the attractiveness of this particular ring. In the end, each person must be satisfied with their individual purchase regardless of the producer of the item. Myself, I prefer this ring as it was cast from a mold of an original. Again to each his or her own.

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
really chris you've seen them for $1500-2000? with authenticity certificate? never seen that!
but i would like to see both rings put side by side if possible.
i know harpurs ring is solid silver as well for $80
i mean don't get me wrong Oberst39...it looks amazing! and i would like one as well..but wondering if its really worth the extra cash
a side by side picture would help if anyone owns both

cheers

Yes iv seen at least a couple in the last few years under 2500 with a COA or a money back if u can't get one......patience....

Meyer's appears to be less rounded at the top of the Skull?

The Harper small Skull is the middle image, and the last image is the Harper Large Skull which appears to be exact except for the jaw teeth line appears to be much more concave as compared the the Top Meyer comparison image of the original and the copy.

Well, that's the was I see it, OK lets weight in on others observations.

Please note that Harpur's rings are as close to the original silver percentage intent as the original war time Himmler SS rings were.

Meyer 1.jpg (31.79 KB, 220 downloads)
Harpur's Small skull.jpg (25.37 KB, 215 downloads)
Hapur's Large Size .jpg (26.57 KB, 216 downloads)
Last edited by johnnyrocket; 05/01/2017 06:18 PM.

American Patriot
Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!
i have to say it comes down to the skull. the meyer one looks amazing! and i agree with you the obersat39...if it makes you happy! why not pay a little more. and thats very cool the added documentation as well.

Last edited by goodtimes; 05/01/2017 06:40 PM.

thanks for the pictures johhnyrocket!
shows the difference in the skull

did they look like a ring shaped in rust? i cant wait to get one.....one day smile

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
did they look like a ring shaped in rust? i cant wait to get one.....one day smile

Well no for one silver doesnt rust, the were just heavily worn, I have had 7 come through my hands and the most I ever paid was 7200....i got one for 200 cad once and yes it was authentic, most people grossly over price them imo, that's why you see rings sit and sit for months if not years, networking is key to finding a reasonably priced example...... Just don't wear a fake one and walk around like you are a boss......only wanna be neo-nazi's do that......

Last edited by chris12559; 05/01/2017 07:55 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted By: chris12559

Well no for one silver doesnt rust, the were just heavily worn, I have had 7 come through my hands and the most I ever paid was 7200....i got one for 200 cad once and yes it was authentic, most people grossly over price them imo, that's why you see rings sit and sit for months if not years, networking is key to finding a reasonably priced example...... Just don't wear a fake one and walk around like you are a boss......only wanna be neo-nazi's do that......

Can't agree with that statement...

I, for one, would NEVER wear an original Ehrenring. Not only because of the value, but mainly because it's like wearing someone else's Iron Cross. You didn't earn it and it wasn't give to YOU.
They have a name for that sort of thing, and it's stolen valor.

Himmler was quite specific with the requirements, and even if not for them, I'd never wear something that was earned by and given to another person for THEIR service.

The only acceptable exception I could see would be if my Grandfather gave me his and asked me to wear it for him.

Sorry, my opinion.
Mark

PS wearing a Hapur model is quite a different story: they are NOT made to be an exact copy, obviously.
Anybody knowledgeable can see immediately it's neither an original nor an exact copy, and that is very much intended that way.

I even made sure to have extra changes on the outside of mine, plus a completely different inscription (Made by Richard Purmalis) so nobody could ever accuse me of trying to pretend to be something that I'm not.
Like a boss.

O
O
A boss? A boss of what? I find your last statement "Just don't wear a fake one and walk around like you are a boss......only wanna be neo-nazi's do that......" not only insulting to collectors but childish as well. Those of us that have been collecting original 3rd Reich militaria for decades, even long before some members here were even born, do so for the interest and history of the subject material. . Occasionally we will purchase an exceedingly well crafted copy to augment our collections where it is difficult to own an original.

In this case, the SS honor ring (original) is a very rare item, beautifully crafted and would be the centrepiece of any collection. The copy, whether it be through Harper, Sshonorring.com or where ever purchased, is designed to be a wearable piece, and many do so out of respect for relatives who lived through the era involved or for any number of reasons. I highly doubt that mature, responsible adults would walk around with a "walk around like you are a boss" attitude. I even highly doubt that 98% of the population would know what this ring is or of its origins.

Last edited by Oberst39; 05/01/2017 08:51 PM.
C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: Oberst39
A boss? A boss of what? I find your last statement "Just don't wear a fake one and walk around like you are a boss......only wanna be neo-nazi's do that......" not only insulting to collectors but childish as well. Those of us that have been collecting original 3rd Reich militaria for decades, even long before some members here were even born, do so for the interest and history of the subject material. . Occasionally we will purchase an exceedingly well crafted copy to augment our collections where it is difficult to own an original.

In this case, the SS honor ring (original) is a very rare item, beautifully crafted and would be the centrepiece of any collection. The copy, whether it be through Harper, Sshonorring.com or where ever purchased, is designed to be a wearable piece, and many do so out of respect for relatives who lived through the era involved or for any number of reasons. I highly doubt that mature, responsible adults would walk around with a "walk around like you are a boss" attitude. I even highly doubt that 98% of the population would know what this ring is or of its origins.

I find this whole statement quite condescending you insinuate that because of your age that anyone making a statement that may or may not be younger than you has no place or weight, ask yourselves really the TRUE reason why TR German militaria is triple, quadruple even more expensive than Canadian/American or British militaria..... To pretend you don't know why is a fallacy....why Is German ww1 militaria dirt cheap.....A LOT of closet racists out there masquerading as "collectors" and I'm not saying you or anyone else who post here is, there are a ton of good guys iv gotten to know over the years, mike, gotz gaspere ric ,Antonio all are genuine good people who have an honest interest in varied militaria, but if we are going to be honest to our selves here, a lot aren't, and as far as "stolen Valor" goes...... Number 1: the ring wasn't earned it was given as a gift or if you will even "luck of the draw" as the first 3000 SS men (at first then expanded later). There was no "Valor" as you say at all, for you to equate a iron cross to one either shows increadable lack of understanding or just willful blindness......

Last edited by chris12559; 05/01/2017 09:16 PM.
O
O
Where in my last posting did I ever mention or eludeto "Valor" or mention the awarding of a Knights Cross????

I wonder if 1 person out of 2000 people would ever know what an SS Honor ring was if they saw one? Just wondering.

American Patriot
C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
Do get me wrong I think Todd (good times) wearing his DAK's is awesome

Originally Posted By: johnnyrocket
Meyer's appears to be less rounded at the top of the Skull?

The Harper small Skull is the middle image, and the last image is the Harper Large Skull which appears to be exact except for the jaw teeth line appears to be much more concave as compared the the Top Meyer comparison image of the original and the copy.

Well, that's the was I see it, OK lets weight in on others observations.

Please note that Harpur's rings are as close to the original silver percentage intent as the original war time Himmler SS rings were.

I meant that Harpur's skull appears to be "less" concave ...than the Meyer ring.

American Patriot
C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: Oberst39
Where in my last posting did I ever mention or eludeto "Valor" or mention the awarding of a Knights Cross????

Yes my apologies I should have split up that post it was in reference to marks post....

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: johnnyrocket
I wonder if 1 person out of 2000 people would ever know what an SS Honor ring was if they saw one? Just wondering.

I don't think it would be even that.....depends on your country somewhat I would think as well, depending on the shape of the sshr, someone at best would think it's a "nazi" ring, as we have all be programmed to equate a swastika with nazi Germany.......

I see no problem if it makes you happy and you want to wear one then by all means, if it makes you happy to put it in the ring box to hide away and look at once a year great, you own it do with it as you will....

Last edited by chris12559; 05/01/2017 09:41 PM.
i dont even listen to people like mark. i wear all my rings and enjoy it. im not trying to be a "boss" i dont want to store my rings in a case and put it away. in my opinion, its a waste. my opinion. i like wearing them and im happy. and mark isn't going to change my mind
cheers Todd

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
i dont even listen to people like mark. i wear all my rings and enjoy it. im not trying to be a "boss" i dont want to store my rings in a case and put it away. in my opinion, its a waste. my opinion. i like wearing them and im happy. and mark isn't going to change my mind
cheers Todd

I agree man, whatever makes you happy, iv worn one of my sshr's out before a few times, and every ice fishing weekend with the boys I wear my favorite ss enamel.......

exactly chris...no harm at all! i dont wear them to work wink but out with friends...why not! im a boss! lol wink

If ya got em, wear em. :-)

American Patriot
O
O
Ditto johnny......

I personally would not wear a legit HR, but wouldn't care 1 hoot if someone wears theirs.

Doug
wanna say about perfect copy of sshr: something interesting comming )))
plz waiting )))

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: Evgeniy
wanna say about perfect copy of sshr: something interesting comming )))
plz waiting )))

What's that mean?

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
I sincerely hope no one ever makes a exact copy, will ruin this area of collecting, thank God we have people like Antonio pushing the boundaries of analysys on these sshr's so people will still be able to know if it's real or not......his is the only coa I would completely trust nowadays, with Don a very close second...

Last edited by chris12559; 05/02/2017 10:20 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,506 SS Bayonets
1,760,285 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,765 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,704
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
17 members (Jonesy, Nietzsche, Dave, OWN, Mikee, Stephen, benten, Documentalist, Don Scowen, polop, Browning1900, Tanker, BAM, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Julianek, ANTIK-1933, The_Collector), 597 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod